[close]

Login | Register

Post subject: Thamaltan Folklore
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:50 pm 
Officer
Officer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Hello! It's me again (as usual). This time I'm posting about the legends and songs of Thamaltis. Pretty much all of them originated in Thamaltis (see Maps and Geography). They come in many varieties, from historically accurate, to completely fiction. The Thamaltans enjoy both, the one as a way to remember their past, and the other to pass the time away.

So, without further ado, I give you: Thamaltan Folklore!

The Creation of the World
A Myth

Long, long ago, when the earth was a void, there was nothing, and no one, except Haak, Inedrion his son, and their Daarnoth. The Daarnoth was a mighty beast, with six legs, six wings, and six horns on its head. [Note: the Daarnoth's head was said to be shaped as that of a horse, but as no horses exist in Esteka, let alone Thamaltis, no one knew what to liken its head to.] Its teeth were like that of the great cats that dwell in the forests, long and sharp, and its six legs were as the mighty eagle.

Haak and Inedrion loved the Daarnoth, and wished they could give him a place to rest himself, for there was naught for him lie down on - naught at all, save the waters under the void. Haak and his son considered this many days, for there was naught to use to make a resting place. At last, Haak came to his son and spoke thus:

"Inedrion my son, Daarnoth has had this long eternity naught to rest himself upon, save the waters under the void, of which he is heartily tired. Alas that there is naught to create a resting place with, though we have searched long and hard. Now therefore, my son, take Daarnoth and feed him so that he falls asleep, and take what you will from his body with which to create a resting place for him."

Ever obedient, Inedrion did as his father bade, and when the Daarnoth had at last fallen asleep, he took his ax and cut off four of Daarnoth's wings, with which he created the Daarnoth's resting place. He sewed the great wings into a large sack, which he filled with the immortal breath of Haak, his father and sewed shut.

The resulting sphere floated about on the waters below the void, and the Daarnoth was greatly pleased to sit and stand on it when he desired rest. He soon tired of its smooth surface, however, and longed for footholds so that he could grasp onto it with greater ease. Seeing the Daarnoth's displeasure, Haak once again came to his son.

"Inedrion my son, Daarnoth grows weary of this resting place which you have created for him, which he loved so dearly not long before. Now therefore, my son, feed Daarnoth so that he falls into a deep slumber, and take from him that which you see fit with which to remedy his displeasure."

Ever obedient, Inedrion did as his father bade, and when the Daarnoth had fallen into a deep slumber, he took his mighty hammer and hewed off four of the Daarnoth's horns, which he sewed lovingly to the sphere. The Daarnoth, ever differing in whim, was greatly pleased with the new addition, and climbed about on the great sphere with enthusiasm. However, he again tired of the sphere, for he claimed it was no good unless he could see what he was about. Troubled with the Daarnoth's displeasure, Haak came to his son a third time.

"Inedrion my son, Daarnoth is displeased with the great sphere which you have given him, for he wishes for what cannot be. He desires now that we take away the darkness which lies as a covering over the void, so that he may see whence he climbs. Therefore, Inedrion my son, feed Daarnoth so that he falls into a last slumber, and take from him that which you see fit with which to give him the light he so craves."

Inedrion, never one to disobey his father, did as he was bade, and when the Daarnoth was deep in slumber, took his knife and cut off two of the Daarnoth's legs. These he rubbed against each other until they caught fire. When the heat from the Darrnoth's legs became too great for him to bear, he threw them away from himself.

The one leg disintegrated into four spheres, one large one, and three smaller ones. The largest became the sun and smaller spheres became the three moons which circle about, shedding light over the Daarnoth's resting place.

The second leg burst asunder and flung lights away into the farthest depths of the void above the water, and they became stars.

Presently the Daarnoth awoke, and when he saw his sphere, his resting place, he was greatly pleased. He climbed about on his sphere, and was glad within his heart for a time. Then, alas, discontent awoke in his breast once more, and he peered into the depths of the waters below the sphere. The light from the sun, moons, and stars caused the waters to shine back his reflection to him, and he beheld for the first time, what Inedrion had done to him.

Enraged, the Daarnoth ran about the top of the sphere, and it rotated in the waters. So quickly did it rotate, that the waters beneath it flew away into the void beyond, and naught but a little remained in the resulting hollows of the sphere, as the Daarnoth flew off and set out in pursuit of Inedrion.

Inedrion, perceiving the Daarnoth's wrath, fled away, leaving the sphere and Haak his father behind. Alas for them both, they ran so speedily that they burst into flame, and became shooting stars, which continue to chase each other around the sphere to this day.

Meanwhile, pieces of the sun and moons fell to the surface of the sphere, and some, taking root, became plants and trees, while others became the animals and peoples who reside there today, while the horns of the Daarnoth, taking root, became not four, but many, and formed the mountain ranges that run throughout the world. And so it was, that Haak and Inedrion created the world.

I would post another story, but this is becoming a monster post (and is probably intimidating as it is). So, I shall post the next story in a new post.

God bless,
Calista

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thamaltan Folklore
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 pm 

Are you a published author?: Yes
Wow. That's all I have to say to that. That's an incredibly unique take on world creation, and the story has a nice moral, like all good fables do. :D Very amazing.

Lieutenant General Aubrey Leah Hansen
acting captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise and supervising leader of the Officers

Join the Unaccepted and stand against the United!

Ready to self-publish? I can format your book!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:42 pm 
Editor
Editor

Neat, Milly! I do have a question, though: at first the son is Inerdrion, but partway through the first "r" got dropped so it's Inedrion. So which is the correct spelling?

You have blue skin with orange polka dots. Four eyes, one red, one yellow, one green, and one blue. You have four arms, two are furry and two are scaly. One ear is a floppy dog's ear and the other is a pointy dog's ear. Your hair is a mess of tentacles. You have the body of a centaur, with four wings and two tails (both with feathers on the end). Two wings are pink. The other two are green and black, respectively. You have a row of sharp spines going down your back (very sharp). You also hiccup rainbow bubbles... ~Vili
So, now you all know what I look like.

We're creating a HW RPG! Come check it out!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:01 pm 
Officer
Officer

Leandra Falconwing wrote:
Neat, Milly! I do have a question, though: at first the son is Inerdrion, but partway through the first "r" got dropped so it's Inedrion. So which is the correct spelling?

Oops! :blush: I'll fix that. It's Inedrion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:03 pm 
Officer
Officer

Here's a song in Amhal, the language of Thamaltis. I'll give it to you in the Amhal version, and then you can choose whether you want a literal English translation, or a rougher translation with rhythm.

Opoio al Logh

Nábris esró soh nádeir.
Oi daidna, Oi senago neir!
Nálogh e crassak;
al Semano linogh!
Crassak sah Semano nanoh.

Oi Ashman, rae Ashman,
doh esre linogh,
poi Ró se opoio,
opoio al logh!

Loghna crassak e sah shok.
E oipna naAshman sorók.
Sint crass' a n'haga;
dibri énta agha,
daidná e Semano selogh.

Oi Ashman, rae Ashman,
doh esre linogh,
poi Ró se opoio,
opoio al logh!

Nádis, nagar a tsedar,
senago naAshman kolgar.
Nálogh e crassak;
al Semano linogh!
Semano, senago e tal.

Oi Ashman, rae Ashman,
doh esre linogh,
poi Ró se opoio,
opoio al logh!

Donia a n'haga,
segó al briaga;
bristar, e bristar
ma'sorok!

Oi Ashman, rae Ashman,
doh esre linogh,
poi Ró se opoio,
opoio al logh!

Okay, if you can't understand a word of it (and I'm sure you can't), you can ask for a translation, like I said above. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:56 am 
Editor
Editor

What about giving us both the literal translation and the translation with rhythm? ;)

You have blue skin with orange polka dots. Four eyes, one red, one yellow, one green, and one blue. You have four arms, two are furry and two are scaly. One ear is a floppy dog's ear and the other is a pointy dog's ear. Your hair is a mess of tentacles. You have the body of a centaur, with four wings and two tails (both with feathers on the end). Two wings are pink. The other two are green and black, respectively. You have a row of sharp spines going down your back (very sharp). You also hiccup rainbow bubbles... ~Vili

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:06 pm 
Officer
Officer

Haha, I knew someone would say that! :rofl: Okay. ;) I'll give you the rhythmic version first. It's the version we would probably sing in America, even though it's not altogether accurate.

Mighty to Save
Faithless we go our own way.
Oh sorrow! Oh troublesome day!
Helpless we fall;
to the Lord we must call!
We falter and turn to the Lord.

Oh God, our God,
hear us now, we pray,
for You are all-pow'rful,
and mighty to save!

Helpless we fall at the throne.
We cannot survive on our own.
Crops fall a-dry;
there is dust in our eyes.
as crying, we run to the Lord.

Oh God, our God,
hear us now, we pray,
and mighty to save!

Dirty, disheveled and torn,
our pain on our own can't be born.
Helpless we fall;
to the Lord we will call!
Our trouble we take to the Lord.

Oh God, our God,
hear us now, we pray,
and mighty to save!

During the drought,
it is easy to doubt,
but our hope we must place
in the Lord.

Oh God, our God,
hear us now, we pray,
and mighty to save!

I'll post a more literal translation in another post. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:08 pm 
Officer
Officer

Okay, here's the more literal translation. Because it is so literal, it is impossible for me to give it rhythm or rhyme (which bugs me a lot :P ) but it gives some interesting takes on the meanings of certain words (yes, I'm so very humble ;) ). I warn you, this version is full of notes, and is extremely difficult to read.

Powerful to Rescue
Faith-hopeless we walk away [from God].
Oh happy-less [sorrow]! Oh ease-less [troublesome] day!
Helpless we [see notes] fall;
to the Lord we pray [to be rescued]!
[We] fall before the Lord again.

Oh God, our God,
hear us pray [to be rescued],
for You are powerful,
powerful to rescue [us]!

Helpless [see notes] [we] fall before the throne.
We [are] powerless without God forever.
Crops [food-that-is-grown] fall in the drought;
[there is] dirt in our eyes,
happy-less [sorrowful] we run to the Lord to be saved.

Oh God, our God,
for You are powerful,
powerful to rescue [us]!

Broken, abused, and filthy,
[our] ease-less [trouble] without God can't be borne.
Helpless we fall;
to the Lord [we] pray [to be saved]!
Lord, [our] ease-less [trouble] we take [to you].

Oh God, our God,
for You are powerful,
powerful to rescue [us]!

At the time of [during] the drought,
[it is] easy to lose faith-hope;
faith-hope [believe], we faith-hope [believe]
forevermore.

Oh God, our God,
for You are powerful,
powerful to rescue [us]!

Explanations

There is no distinction between the words faith and hope. They are merged in a single word, Nábris.

The word nádeir is a specific form of away. It means literally, 'away from God'. That's why I put 'from God' after in brackets.

In the version in Amhal, the full word esró is only used a few times, because it is two syllables, and only one is wanted. In Thamaltan poetry, when they need only one syllable, they shorten esró to e.

Here's an interesting note. In the Amhal, there are two ways to say the word helpless: loghna, and nálogh. This is also in an attempt to aide rhythm, of which the Thamaltans are very careful to preserve.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:35 pm 
Officer
Officer

Very nicely done! :D I love it, it's so pretty.

It's hard to hold a candle in the cold November rain... -November Rain, Guns'NRoses
Romans 12:18- If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 pm 
Officer
Officer

Thanks, Elly. :D I'll be working on getting another story posted soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:44 pm 
Officer
Officer

Andoer and the Taelnas
A Myth
Andoer was a gifted man. He was handsome, tall, and exceedingly wealthy. Besides that, Haak had given him the odd ability to retain his breath for an indefinite period of time. But despite all his blessings, Andoer was not happy. You see, he had heard a rumor that an immense treasure lay beneath the waves of the Narlak Sea, and he wanted it. His desire became so great that his sleep left him, and he became restless.

"Well, Andoer," his wife said, when he had once told her his wish, "wishes ungranted are unhealthy, and weigh your heart down. You are gifted. Go, use your gift to procure that which your heart desires." This saying pleased Andoer, and he prepared for a journey to the sea forthwith.

He traveled fast, and was soon off the shore of the Narlak Sea. There he rested a day, and inquired as to the location of the rumored treasure.

"Tis said to be some'eres off the coast of Cielo Island." the fishermen all answered, and so Andoer determined that to Cielo Island he must go. Elated, he prepared for a long swim in the sea, for no ships were destined to sail to Cielo Island for some while. So he set out to swim.

Arriving on the rocky shore of Cielo Island, he rested before once again entering the waves of the Narlak. A large seashell lying on the ocean floor caught his notice, and he picked it up. A sweet aroma emanated from it, and to Andoer's delight, he found that he was no longer obliged to hold his breath.

"Indeed, this is a treasure in itself!" exclaimed he, as he breathed freely, "But where is the treasure I seek?" He swam over a ridge, and lo, a beautiful sight met his eager gaze. There, in the valley below Andoer saw what he thought were twinkling gems!

"At last!" cried he in exhilaration, and he hurried to descend and collect them.

But when he drew nearer, the gems he had seen from afar were not to be found! Instead, he saw people that appeared to be half fish. They wore absolutely nothing, but their bodies were covered in silver scales, they had no need of it - and their hair differed so greatly in color, that one could hardly miss the color of clothing if one tried.

They danced and swam about him, drawing him into the play, and he couldn't help but join in, for they were such innocent-looking creatures that he hated to disappoint them.

A slender young fish-girl swam up to him, and took his hand in her slimy fingers.

"Come, stranger, the Taelnas welcome you!" she said, "The queen will be wanting to see you." She led him to a rock, where a golden-haired Taelnad reclined, attended by several diverse children.

"Greetings, stranger, and welcome to the land of the Taelnas." the queen said, "Why have you ventured so deep below the water (for we know that no man can breath beneath the waves unless they possess the magical shell of Haak)?"

"I am in search of a treasure, my lady," Andoer bowed reverently, "and in my search, I came across the shell of Haak itself. But tell me, know you of the treasure said to lie nearby?"

"I do indeed." the queen laughed gaily.

"Where does it lie?" Andoer asked eagerly.

"All about you, if you had but the sense to see it." the queen smiled, "We Taelnas possess it in great abundance, which I am sure you have seen."

"But I have not." Andoer said in bewilderment, for he knew that the Taelnas wore not jewelry, nor fine clothes. What treasure could she be speaking of?

"Yes, you have, but you were unaware of it." the queen insisted gently, "You see, the greatest treasure in the world is not made up of gems or gold. It does not consist of fine clothing or valuable coins. These things perish and are stolen, and are surpassed by far by yet something more: joy. None can steal true joy, yet you can give it away and still have much left to yourself, no matter how much you give.

Yes, you have seen this treasure in my people. They are the richest people you have seen in your life, though you knew it not. Saw you not how they shine with laughter?"

"But joy cannot buy anything." Andoer argued.

"I see you are a rich man." the queen observed, "Yet for all your riches, I perceive you are poor, for you have not joy. Stay with the Taelnas for a time, and you shall receive the greatest treasure of all."

Andoer agreed to stay with the Taelnas for a week, and during that time, he learned to work, and earn a living for himself, but most importantly, he learned to laugh, and enjoy the simple life of his strange companions. However, towards the end of the week he became sad, for he missed his wife; and even though he was surrounded by Taelnas, he was lonely.

The queen noticed this, and she summoned Andoer to her.

"I perceive that you are not happy with us." said she, "What troubles you?"

"It is my wife." Andoer confessed, "I miss her so. She must be waiting for my by this time, wondering what has happened to me."

"And so he returns to his joyless riches." the queen said sadly.

"Not so, for I now own the greatest treasure." Andoer reminded her, "You taught me to laugh, and to take joy in working. That I can take with me."

"Very true." the queen admitted, "But your wife has not learned this. Very well, go to your wife if you must, but do not stay in your house with all its riches. Give all your wealth away, and sell everything you own but Haak's magical shell. Then return to us with your wife and the shell, and you shall live joyfully in our midst forever."

Andoer listened carefully to all that the queen said, and it pleased him, for he had dreaded to leave the Taelnas, even though he longed for his wife. He packed up what little he had brought with him, and returned to the shore of the Narlak Sea. After resting, he took the shell and hurried home to his wife.

"Andoer!" his wife exclaimed, "Home so quickly?"

"Quickly? I have been gone over a week!" said he.

"Nonsense!" his wife objected, "You left naught but two days ago. Surely you have not had time to find the treasure?"

"I have indeed." Andoer explained, and told his wife all that had happened. At first she was averse to the idea of giving away all that they had, but at last she agreed to it, and they gave all their wealth to their poorer friends, for which they were forever endeared to them.

Then, with nothing but Haak's magical shell and the clothes on their backs, they returned to the land of the Taelnas, where they dwelt joyfully all their years.

Some say that they never died, however, for Andoer's time with the Taelnas did not match up with his wife's time in his absense. They claim that Andoer lives with them still, joyfully working alongside them with his wife.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:30 am 
Editor
Editor

Very neat. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:48 pm 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Milly, your creation story is awesome, and very unique :D

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 pm 
Officer
Officer

Thanks! I'll try and get another up soon. :D

Offline Profile