[close]

Login | Register







Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:22 pm 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am
Posts: 3389
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 01 Dec 1996
This is Akhila,



and this is Dhav.



They are young adults in Uman, a country on the continent of Isia. In three weeks' time, they will be wed. But what will this mean for them? Let us approach them in their individual homes, and find out.

* * * *

Dhav Mosyehd lay awake, the burning sensation in his forehead preventing him from sleeping. He reached up and gingerly felt the bandage that nearly covered his eyes.
'My Dhaki is most painful tonight.' He thought. He repositioned himself, and remembered the coming of age ceremony, remembered the sharp pain in his forehead, as his father, the Rha, cut the flesh in his forehead and inserted the Dhaki, sewing it into the bone. It was his new identity, the identity which he would give to his wife, and no one could take it from him.
He smiled, remembering the symbol his father had chosen: A shield, on which was a hawk, grasping a snake in its talons. From now on, no one but he could wear that symbol. No one, that is, but his future wife.

* * * *

Akhila Rhama sat on her bedside, playing with the Kita clipped into her hair. What would it be like to forsake her Kita, her identity, and replace it with the Dhaki of her future husband? She looked down at her jewelry. Everything she wore had her Kita on it. It was her identity, a white piece of metal, with a green dot in the middle, and a red rim. What would it be like to have the Rha cut her forehead and insert the Dhaki of her husband on her wedding day? Her identity would be forever her husband's. She smiled. Surely no pain could keep her from that.

* * * *

Dhav Mosyehd and Akhila Rhama are just two average young people who live in Uman. Everyone, from the newborn baby, to the failing old man, wears a Dhaki or a Kita. It is their identity, and no two are alike.

Babies are given a Kita as soon as they are born, as soon as they have a name. It hangs from a chain, and is clipped into their hair. They must never take it off. To do so, would be to remove their identity.

When a boy comes of age, his Kita is removed. The Rha (the priest) does this, for no one else may do so. After the Kita is removed, he takes a Dhaki, a piece of metal on which is a new pattern. He sews this into the boy's skull, and bandages it up. In a few weeks, the bandage is removed, and the Dhaki is thereafter permanent.

A girl, however, retains her Kita until marriage. The marriage ceremony consists of the Rha removing her Kita and sewing her husband's Dhaki into her skull. Her identity is thereafter his. She is not herself anymore. If she never marries, she never receives a Dhaki.

That is the significance of marriage, a happy unity to which Dhav and Akhila look forward to. Their story is much like those of other Umanians, until the eve of their marriage...but that is another story. :dieshappy:

_________________
~ Calista Beth

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:57 am 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:21 am
Posts: 3496
Location: The wide open prairies under a cloudless blue sky
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 24 Jun 1997
Very nice, Milly! :dieshappy: I like the concept of the Kita and the Dhaki, I've never heard anything like it before, and it is quite unique. :D Although getting a Dhaki put on your forehead sounds painful! Very neat, though at the same time I'm glad it does not exist in modern day, as I do not think I would want to have my forehead cut open and a mental plate sew on my bone! :shock:

_________________
~AzlynRose~

Devote yourselves to prayer so that your conversations may be full of grace
and seasoned with salt, with the purpose of glorifying Christ Jesus in everything.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:27 pm 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am
Posts: 3389
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 01 Dec 1996
AzlynMae wrote:
Very nice, Milly! :dieshappy: I like the concept of the Kita and the Dhaki, I've never heard anything like it before, and it is quite unique. :D Although getting a Dhaki put on your forehead sounds painful! Very neat, though at the same time I'm glad it does not exist in modern day, as I do not think I would want to have my forehead cut open and a mental plate sew on my bone! :shock:

:rofl: Me neither...but I thought it'd be a fun concept for a country. That way there would be no impersonating anyone unless it was permanent impersonation.

_________________
~ Calista Beth

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:18 am 
Avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 am
Posts: 4713
Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Dhav looks very serious. *bookmarks to read the story excerpts later* :D

eru

_________________
I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:51 pm 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am
Posts: 3389
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 01 Dec 1996
eruheran wrote:
Dhav looks very serious. *bookmarks to read the story excerpts later* :D

eru

Hehe, it'll be a long while before anything like that is ready...

_________________
~ Calista Beth

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:04 pm 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 563
Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 27 Feb 1992
Well then, hurry up and make it a shorter time...Or else! :evil:


Please? :beg:

_________________
Sir Arien, Guy of the Rounded Table

Because Holy Worlds really is that awesome: Clicky! (You know you want to!)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:05 pm 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am
Posts: 3389
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 01 Dec 1996
Arien wrote:
Well then, hurry up and make it a shorter time...Or else! :evil:


Please? :beg:

*Chuckles* We'll see. :)

_________________
~ Calista Beth

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:28 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 am
Posts: 3022
Location: Cork, Ireland
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 11 Apr 1996
This is cool.... I love the idea. It is a kind of marriage ceremony I have never heard of before. Do many people die from an infection from the Dhaki wound? Or do they know of precautions to avoid that? What is a person like in a society if his Dhaki is removed somehow? Is it an insult to take someone's Kita? When does a boy become of age? Do they usually marry soon after this?And what is going to happen to Akhila and Dhav?

:( Am I asking too many questions?

There is something I do not quite understand. The Kita and the Dhaki are not objects, but symbols?

_________________
. .... . .... . .... . .... . .... . .... . .... .
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:57 am 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am
Posts: 3389
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 01 Dec 1996
Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
This is cool.... I love the idea. It is a kind of marriage ceremony I have never heard of before. Do many people die from an infection from the Dhaki wound? Or do they know of precautions to avoid that?

This custom has been going for centuries, so they've developed antibiotics to help keep infections down. In the past, though, I'm sure it was extremely unsanitary and killed a lot of people.

Quote:
What is a person like in a society if his Dhaki is removed somehow? Is it an insult to take someone's Kita?

If a person's Dhaki or Kita is removed, they basically become 'nobodies' or nonhuman, because they lost their identity. So it is the highest crime to remove it. Unfortunately, the victim is rarely compensated for their loss; as a rule they are shunned or treated as animals.

Quote:
When does a boy become of age? Do they usually marry soon after this?

They become men at around 15 years or so, but they cannot marry until they've proved themselves able to support a family. So it varies. :)

Quote:
And what is going to happen to Akhila and Dhav?

Now now, we can't give it away, can we? ;)

Quote:
:( Am I asking too many questions?

Not at all! I'm delighted to have you visit my subforum! :)

Quote:
There is something I do not quite understand. The Kita and the Dhaki are not objects, but symbols?

They are objects with symbols on them. :)

_________________
~ Calista Beth

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 am
Posts: 3022
Location: Cork, Ireland
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 11 Apr 1996
Millicent Mimetes wrote:
This custom has been going for centuries, so they've developed antibiotics to help keep infections down. In the past, though, I'm sure it was extremely unsanitary and killed a lot of people.
* nods * That makes sense.

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
If a person's Dhaki or Kita is removed, they basically become 'nobodies' or nonhuman, because they lost their identity. So it is the highest crime to remove it. Unfortunately, the victim is rarely compensated for their loss; as a rule they are shunned or treated as animals.
I see...that is interesting. (And, unfortunately, all too realistic.) What if someone just takes someone's Kita, like a boy playing with his friend, not really meaning to keep it? Is that an insult? Or is that just as bad as if they took it with the intention of stealing it, with the same consequences for both of them?

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
Now now, we can't give it away, can we?
Not – not ever? * lips tremble *

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
Not at all! I'm delighted to have you visit my subforum!
I'm glad. :)

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
They are objects with symbols on them.
So how do they sew the boy's Dhaki onto the girl? Do they take it off of him, or make a new one with the same symbol?

_________________
. .... . .... . .... . .... . .... . .... . .... .
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:34 pm 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am
Posts: 3389
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 01 Dec 1996
Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
Millicent Mimetes wrote:
If a person's Dhaki or Kita is removed, they basically become 'nobodies' or nonhuman, because they lost their identity. So it is the highest crime to remove it. Unfortunately, the victim is rarely compensated for their loss; as a rule they are shunned or treated as animals.
I see...that is interesting. (And, unfortunately, all too realistic.) What if someone just takes someone's Kita, like a boy playing with his friend, not really meaning to keep it? Is that an insult? Or is that just as bad as if they took it with the intention of stealing it, with the same consequences for both of them?

It is forbidden to remove it, period. If a boy took it off even to look at it, he could get in serious trouble. As long as he returned it to its owner, though, no harm would come of it.

Quote:
Millicent Mimetes wrote:
Now now, we can't give it away, can we?
Not – not ever? * lips tremble *

No, just not until I figure it out better myself and actually write it into a story. ;) I'm thinking to rewrite fairy tales into my world, though, so it might happen soon. :D

Quote:
Millicent Mimetes wrote:
They are objects with symbols on them.
So how do they sew the boy's Dhaki onto the girl? Do they take it off of him, or make a new one with the same symbol?

They make a second one for the girl. Except for marriage ceremonies, duplicating them is expressly forbidden. :)

_________________
~ Calista Beth

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 pm 
Captain
Captain
Avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:02 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Ireland, Co. cork.
Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 23 Aug 1993
Very interesting.

Are they always an oval shape?

What kinds of patterns do they have?

Do they ever have pictures or writing?

Is it similar to a coat of arms?

Are elements of the Dhaki of a persons parents ever incorporated into his Dhaki?

What other customs surround the insertion?

Is it done in a building or in the open?

More or less privately, or with what kind of audience?

Is some cultural importance attached to the instruments used for the operation?

Do the materials ever vary?

Is some other version of this custom practiced by these peoples ancestors, or in surrounding nations?


Azlyn A. Mimetes wrote:
I'm glad it does not exist in modern day,
Worse customs exist in modern day earth, and since Millicent did not say that they ever abandoned it then it may exist in the modern day in her Otherworld.

_________________
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Tsahraf:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Servant of God, Brother of Christ, and Sealed by the Holy Ghost.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

1 Corinthians 11:1
Mimetai mou ginesthe, kathos kago Christou.
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.


:::::::Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld: Here. Or see my newest post: Languages: The P`a Language
And I have my threads Indexed now!

:::::::Come See My Various Weblogs
Good Things, That Are Worth Seeing
IEHOVAH TSID KENUThe most important post: The Abomination
Other Links
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 pm 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am
Posts: 3389
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 01 Dec 1996
:shock: :dieshappy: Lots of questions!

Tsahraf ChahsidMimetes wrote:
Are they always an oval shape?

No, they can be any shape. Anything to keep them all unique. XD

Quote:
What kinds of patterns do they have?

Pretty much any pattern you could wish for. :D

Quote:
Do they ever have pictures or writing?

Yes, they can have pictures, if they're simple. Writing? Hmm...I'm not sure about that one. Good question! *Must think about this*

Quote:
Is it similar to a coat of arms?

You mean like something that runs in the family? No, because each one is different. :)

Quote:
Are elements of the Dhaki of a persons parents ever incorporated into his Dhaki?

Only for the upper classes, so that a well-known family may be recognized.

Quote:
What other customs surround the insertion?

The Rha has a sacred speech it is customary for him to give at the beginning of the ceremony, and the family have the choice of making speeches as well if they please. After the operation is finished, the assembly will sing a sacred song, and then it's over. XD

Quote:
Is it done in a building or in the open?

Outside, under a canopy just outside the Rha's house.

Quote:
More or less privately, or with what kind of audience?

Only family members and close friends attend.

Quote:
Is some cultural importance attached to the instruments used for the operation?

Um...could you restate that? I'm a little confused...

Quote:
Do the materials ever vary?

They vary some through the years as people find better materials to make them out of. :)

Quote:
Is some other version of this custom practiced by these peoples ancestors, or in surrounding nations?

Probably, but I haven't explored that yet. XD

Tsahraf Mimetes wrote:
Azlyn A. Mimetes wrote:
I'm glad it does not exist in modern day,
Worse customs exist in modern day earth, and since Millicent did not say that they ever abandoned it then it may exist in the modern day in her Otherworld.
[/quote]
Very true, that....

Thank you for your multitudinous questions! :D

_________________
~ Calista Beth

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:04 pm 
Captain
Captain
Avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:02 am
Posts: 1099
Location: Ireland, Co. cork.
Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 23 Aug 1993
I suppose the Dhaki has holes around the edge for the stitching. Is this ever incorporated into the design, or are the holes only in a sort of fringe? Or are they loops or slits?

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
No, they can be any shape. Anything to keep them all unique. XD
Anything that will fit on the forehead that is.

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
Yes, they can have pictures, if they're simple. Writing? Hmm...I'm not sure about that one. Good question! *Must think about this*
Have you thought of something? A motto maybe? Their name?

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
The Rha has a sacred speech it is customary for him to give at the beginning of the ceremony, and the family have the choice of making speeches as well if they please. After the operation is finished, the assembly will sing a sacred song, and then it's over. XD
Do you know anything about the sacred song?

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
Outside, under a canopy just outside the Rha's house.
Does the Rha use the canopy for other things as well?

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
Um...could you restate that? I'm a little confused...
For example, do they associate the scalpel with the entrance of maturity, or the stitching needle with endurance, or the table with the idea of a celebration?

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
Probably, but I haven't explored that yet. XD
Maybe there is a culture that did not like the idea of unnecessary surgery, and would only use adhesive, or a culture that used branding with an hot iron instead of surgery, or a culture that had a similar idea as the Dhaki and Kita, but with badges.

Millicent Mimetes wrote:
Thank you for your multitudinous questions! :D
You are welcome! I like questioning developers.

_________________
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Tsahraf:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Servant of God, Brother of Christ, and Sealed by the Holy Ghost.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

1 Corinthians 11:1
Mimetai mou ginesthe, kathos kago Christou.
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.


:::::::Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld: Here. Or see my newest post: Languages: The P`a Language
And I have my threads Indexed now!

:::::::Come See My Various Weblogs
Good Things, That Are Worth Seeing
IEHOVAH TSID KENUThe most important post: The Abomination
Other Links
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Akhila and Dhav
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:04 pm 
Officer
Officer
Avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am
Posts: 3389
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Age: 01 Dec 1996
Tsahraf ChahsidMimetes wrote:
I suppose the Dhaki has holes around the edge for the stitching. Is this ever incorporated into the design, or are the holes only in a sort of fringe? Or are they loops or slits?

No, the holes are not incorporated into the design. They would be holes or slits...not sure how well loops would work.

Quote:
Anything that will fit on the forehead that is.

Right. XD

Quote:
Have you thought of something? A motto maybe? Their name?

I don't think so...See, the Dhaki basically represents their name anyways, so...

Quote:
Do you know anything about the sacred song?

Nope. XD I haven't had time or reason to research it.

Quote:
Does the Rha use the canopy for other things as well?

Yes, weddings and such. Basically any important rituals. :)

Quote:
For example, do they associate the scalpel with the entrance of maturity, or the stitching needle with endurance, or the table with the idea of a celebration?

Interesting...I never considered that. o.O I don't know. XD

Quote:
Maybe there is a culture that did not like the idea of unnecessary surgery, and would only use adhesive, or a culture that used branding with an hot iron instead of surgery, or a culture that had a similar idea as the Dhaki and Kita, but with badges.

*Nods* You're probably right, but as I'm not ready to write this story yet, I haven't explored the possibilities much yet.

Quote:
You are welcome! I like questioning developers.

*Grins* Well that's good, because I like questions. XD

_________________
~ Calista Beth

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: