Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Unicorns
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:38 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Does anybody else have unicorns in a story?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:28 am 

Sex: Male
Aemi wrote:

Yes :)

I have "ordinary unicorns" that inhabit some places in my main secondary-world, winged unicorns (which I need to develop quite a bit more before attempting to coherently describe them), and unicorns of "unicorn country".

An "ordinary" unicorns is a somewhat large horse with a horn. Most are white in color, but this varies almost as widely as the color of ordinary horses. And they are, like many creatures, quite intelligent---able to understand human speech fairly well, carry out moderately complex tasks, and so on.

The unicorns of unicorn country are several steps above "ordinary unicorns". They also are equine creatures, but they average 18 hands high, which would be unusually tall for a horse. Their coats vary in shade from a dark grey to a pure white, but any true color would be vanishingly rare. Each has a brilliantly-white horn that by adulthood is at least three feet long. These unicorns are more than merely "quite intelligent"; they are very intelligent, capable of thinking, reasoning, acting on their own or in cooperation with others, and of understanding human speech. And they have one gift that makes them a strictly fantasy element: A unicorn foal less than a month old, or very rarely an adult, can form a life-long empathic bond with a human being of pure heart. This bond is not telepathic---words, thoughts, and images can't travel across it---but allows the sharing of emotions and, with practice, instincts, so that a unicorn and rider can move in unison without thought. A bonded unicorn---even after the death of her rider, assuming she survives such a tragedy---also gradually gains various metaphysical powers for the protection, healing, and defense of the unicorn, its rider, and others.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:53 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Wow, that's awesomeness. Thank you for sharing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:58 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Fascinating as usual, kingjon. :cool:

Aemi wrote:

I haven't made an official decision yet, but it's likely that Murel will have unicorns.
My unicorns will probably be different than the way most people view them though. For one thing, my cobha works in such a way that it is most likely that unicorns are demonically altered horses. :rofl:
I've played around with the idea of having winged unicorns (demonically altered pegasi), but that will depend on if I decide to give Murel pegasi. :roll:

As to intelligence, they are just as much an animal as a bunny or a bear.

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:09 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Are you a published author?: Yes
I'm planning on having them, but I'm not quite sure how I'll go about it yet. I was leaning towards giving them the size and strength of a Clydesdale and the fiery nature of a wild stallion. Now that would be fun.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:07 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Those are both cool ideas, Sui and Riniel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:56 pm 
Writer
Writer

I have Unicorns. :D They are full white, not a single blemish in them. Also, the hoofs of the Unicorns are white. :D Their riders are the Elves, although not every Elf has a Unicorn. The unicorn will come to its rider if the rider is alone. Same thing goes with my Pegasi. :)

~ Yours truly, Blayne B. Trent

"Home isn't where you live. Home is where you feel safe; whether it's four walls and a roof over your head, or with the people you love. That's home."

Sub-ForumYou can clicks it! :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:19 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Hmm... in my fantasy trilogy, a glory of unicorns (glory being a term like herd, only for unicorns) appears for a chapter or so. But they don't play an integral part.

But then, there was a novel I was planning out called The Fall of Mysticalia, in which there were four different types of creatures as the main characters--unicorns, dragons, wolves, and griffins. I never got very far in it though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I like the "glory of unicorns" term. Where did that come from?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That came from a book by Bruce Coville. He put together a collection of unicorns, and he says that instead of 'herd', he coined the term 'glory'. I'm only using it temporarily, since I want to make sure he doesn't have it copyrighted. But he's usually very good at answering emails from his readers, so it shouldn't take me too long to find out. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:10 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I hope you can use it. It's much nicer than "herd". :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:11 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I received a reply! :D And it's good news. ^_^

"Hi, Theodora -

Thanks for writing, and particularly for asking about the term "glory" as a name for a group of unicorns. Though it is a term that I came up with, it is not copyrighted. In fact, it is my hope that the word might someday become the commonly accepted term for a group of unicorns. So if you would like to use it in your own stories, please do so, with my blessing!

BC"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:23 pm 

^_^ :dieshappy:

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 am 

Renna the Blue Mimetes wrote:
since I want to make sure he doesn't have it copyrighted.

For the record, unless I'm vastly mistaken, in the United States it's not possible to copyright a term. What you would have to worry about is a trademark. (But his answer applies equally well to that.)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:12 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Oops. :blush: Yeah... I still haven't learned much about the whole official thing of copyrighting or trademarking, so I wasn't sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:10 pm 
Writer
Writer

Shie wrote:
I have unicorns in my story. Here is a description of them:

"It's a delicate little thing," Gerwen had said, "with pink hooves and a flowing white mane. Unlike the deer, it has only one twisted horn in the center of its forehead, and it has a long tail like the horse. It makes only soft whooshing sounds; except when it is in pain, it screams like a woman."
"But here's the best part," he had continued, "there is only one way to catch a unicorn. A pure young maiden must go deep into the forest, and then sit absolutely still. It may take minutes, it may take hours, it may take days, but if she is perfectly quiet, the unicorn will come to her. Then if she is gentle to him, he will let her do whatever she wants with him, and he will only leave her if she tells him to."

When my MC girl is young, she goes out into the woods and tries to catch one. She thinks she sees something white approaching her in the distance, but a squirrel makes a noise suddenly, causing her to jump. When she looks back, the white is gone. The unicorn comes back into the story near the end, serving as a powerful symbol of the girl's purity.
In this world, unicorns are so rare that the younger generation is not sure they exist. Only the old people, like Gerwen, know they are real.
Are any of you using unicorns in your stories? Please tell me about them, or ask questions about mine.

Only problem I see and it's probably just me but you say it screams like a woman and then refer to a male unicorn? I mean it just kinda messes with my head.

A unquestioned faith is like a unsharpened sword, keep your sword sharp.

In times of hardship. A rational faith shall outlast a blind adherence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:16 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Ah, good point. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:13 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
When the King James refers to unicorns, it's from the Greek term used to recognize a rhinoceros. Europe had myths of unicorns we are familiar with, but when explorers found the "real" unicorn, they were baffled at the contrast between the graceful creature in lore, and the tank in reality. It could be really neat to create a mythical unicorn that shares traits with a rhinoceros as well.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:58 am 
Editor
Editor

I have Kirin..... they're like Japanese unicorn...things. *shrugs* Also Jeshil-horns, which are shaggy-haired, goatlike unicorns with a green-and-white horn and green hooves in which they store chlorophyll.

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:19 pm 
Captain
Captain

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
When the King James refers to unicorns, it's from the Greek term used to recognize a rhinoceros. Europe had myths of unicorns we are familiar with, but when explorers found the "real" unicorn, they were baffled at the contrast between the graceful creature in lore, and the tank in reality. It could be really neat to create a mythical unicorn that shares traits with a rhinoceros as well.

Marco Polo had some words to say on that subject, which may prove interesting in regards to this conversation that some of you might find inspirational. He sounds so disappointed. https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Trav ... /Chapter_9

Quote:
There are wild elephants in the country, and numerous unicorns, which are very nearly as big. They have hair like that of a buffalo, feet like those of an elephant, and a horn in the middle of the forehead, which is black and very thick. They do no mischief, however, with the horn, but with the tongue alone; for this is covered all over with long and strong prickles [and when savage with any one they crush him under their knees and then rasp him with their tongue]. The head resembles that of a wild boar, and they carry it ever bent towards the ground. They delight much to abide in mire and mud. 'Tis a passing ugly beast to look upon, and is not in the least like that which our stories tell of as being caught in the lap of a virgin; in fact, 'tis altogether different from what we fancied

As for me, I do not have unicorns. I try to avoid standard fantastical beasts because they break my suspension of disbelief in my own storyverse, which is a problem.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next