Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Breeds and Domestication
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:03 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
This time I want to talk about breeds. Horses, cows, dogs, cats, all are single species who thanks to human domestication have a plethora of different breeds. Here are the worldbuilding questions for yall:

Would there still be as much diversity among cats, dogs, horses, etc. without humans breeding them? For example if humans had never domesticated cats and all cats had remained wild, what would the felis domesticus (I guessed at the scientific name, forgive me if it's wrong) species look like? I've heard somewhere what seems to be the accepted tradition that that dogs are descendants of domesticated wolves. If wolves were not domesticated into dogs and bred, would that mean greater diversity among wolves, or would dogs still be a separate species? Would horses still have the wide variety of colors or would it be more limited? Or...to look at it from a different perspective, would the peoples of your worlds have bred the same numbers and types of breeds that humans in our worlds bred? These kind of thoughts are easy ways to add interesting creatures to your world without creating new species.

For instance, if dogs in your world were only bred into three or four breeds, your prince could have a loyal hunting hound of Mastiff size but extremely lupine features, while his best friend the guard boy has a puppy that would look just like a wolf if it weren't for its Irish-Setter coloring. With just that you have crafted colorful creatures for your stories, without having created a new species. :)

Another thought to play with: Would the peoples of your worlds have domesticated and bred the same types of creatures the peoples of our world did? What if the peoples of your world found different creatures to meet the needs of our domestic animals? What if horses, sheep, cows, and cats had never really been domesticated in your world because its peoples found suitable replacements. I think it's easier for our readers to understand our worlds if we keep some universal domesticated animals like horses and cattle, but these are just fun thoughts to toss around in your head late at night (at least they are for me). And what if horses, sheep, cows, pigs, cats, dogs, etc. were domesticated by the peoples of your world but other animals of the world were more intentionally bred? So your world may have two or three breeds of horses and dogs and only one breed of cat, but over thirty breeds of dragons and wyverns, fifteen breeds of chimaeras, and six or so breeds of goblins (assuming that in this case you hypothetically have goblins as creatures in your world instead of intelligent people/races).

And one last area of thought to run through your heads as you wait for the sandman tonight: What would the lives/survival of our common domestic animals look like if they'd never been domesticated by us? Would sheep have gone extinct millenia ago without shepherds to protect them, would goats? Some fun thoughts for yall.

In Christ,
Jordan

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Breeds and Domestication
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:25 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Another good post Seer. I'll ponder this tonight.
*hopes he avoids The Sandman* ;)

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:04 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
I think the amount of breeding in your world depends on how advanced your world is. In the medieval times there were far less breeds than there are now.

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:20 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
I had honestly never thought of this, neither for my fantasy or science fiction worlds. :P This is a most over looked area. A lot of times you will see all this information about an animal, and yet nothing is said about variations. I will have to think about my creatures and their breeds. Thank you very much for the genre glasses!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "Plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope." --Jeremiah 29:11

Tumblr: http://curlyhumility.tumblr.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Yeah, I never understood breeding cats either...

The breeds of dogs and horses always made sense (yes, even poodles) but I'm not sure how far my young world would be into breeding and such. The violent groups of people have started breeding for stronger, more savage creature but since I'm going to wipe them all out later I don't think it will get very far.

Other than that I have people who treat domestication like falconry. They tame from the wild their particular mounts. This doesn't really work for livestock though.

If sheep and goats get in with a good crowd I'm sure they could survive in the wild, they do it nowadays...

All in all I can't really think of many species that would be bred... I've have to get on that...

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:49 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Riding (or writing) against the foes of the free peoples of Middle Earth!
I love that Seer can always come up with the never-before-thought-of questions about such normal things! :D

Yeah, um, haven't thought much on this. I suppose there would still be plenty of breeds without breeding, of course hardly any compare to the hundreds of breeds of dogs today. Remember, many changes would be due to adaption put into genetic code depending on where the animal lives, thus producing different breeds without human intervention.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, (in Sherlock Holmes)

Current projects:
Heroes and Demons series:
Lost Son: 3,782 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=1844
Red Son: 1,726 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=3008
Prodigal Son: Developing Stage
Grateful Son: Developing Stage
The Setting Sons: Developing Stage
All titles are tentative

Tobias the Swift: Developing Stage

Wings from above: Developing Stage

Yeah, most of my books are in the development stage, but I have a lot of ideas! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:17 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
I think the anthrogryphi may breed gryphon in this way. I don't know how diverse their markings have become. I think the only specific breeding is by those of high rank who want more unique colored gryphons. The more common colorations and body shapes are generally left to their own devices by those who guide them. I know they breed chamrosha as well. The combination of raptor and dog usually go talon in paw for the traits desired. There are, of course, some "poor bred" among the brooding litters which makes for some awkward members of the breed, but they are usually well developed for their area of work.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]