Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Tips On Creating New Creatures
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:24 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Those frogs sound awesome. ._.

And that's all I have to say. xD

Author of the forthcoming book, Peacekeeper's Essence- ‎"But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, That shines brighter and brighter until the full day." Proverbs 4:18

Be the leaf ~Ow~O

Follow me on my blog and visit my world, Rantis!
Oh, and check out my latest topic: Character Themesongs

Me: "Are you trying to implant a watermelon in my belly?"
Mom: "No, an apple tree."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:31 pm 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
That's a great post! I'm going to have to refer to it when making new creatures. :cool: I've never come across a system for making them that seemed as helpful before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:37 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Andorin wrote:
Suiauthon Mimetes wrote:
A phrasing I think I made up myself. :rofl: To me that means that worldbuilding always has to be completely, 100% scientifically realistic.
The only way that changes in regards to fantasy is that the rules of science are up for grabs. I can modify science's rules, but then I have to stick to those rules as if [insert disaster behind your imagination] would occur if I didn't.

Izenroe wrote:
I often use real animals from earth. I usually find out which new species have been found...it's interesting, there are so many animals that are weird in their own way, like the animals that live in extreme conditions....there are lots of ways to be creative..

You could also use extinct animals ..creatively taking certain aspects from them and coming up with your own imaginative beast or creature..

Maybe it is because I watched way too much Animal Planet when I was a kid, but I use a method similar to these when making up creatures. Just know that I don't do it all that often. If I was in the mood to make up a creature I would do the following:
1. I would start with where it is my creature lives, asking questions about the climate. Is it hot or cold? Dry or wet? Lots of sun or a little?
I also might ask what sort of vegetation is around. Are there lots of trees? Is it a great grassy plain? Are they in the mountains with those little stunted shrubs?
2. Then I take a general animal kingdom to start with, and you can pick extremes if you want. So, do I want reptiles who live in the snow, or an amphibian, or maybe a hybrid?
3. Once I've decided I might look at some unusual examples of these types of creatures in our world. Aka, I would poke around on Wikipedia for a while, looking at pictures.
4. Then I would move into the ways the creature might survive in its environment. If it is an extreme environment then it is more fun to think of ways they might battle the elements. Asking questions about where it lives, what it eats, how it reproduces, whether or not it lives in groups, and how it escapes predators can be helpful.
So lets say it is a frog that lives in the high snow covered peaks of the Whatsitcalled Mountains. I might give them thick skin and some sort of digging legs that can make little burrows in the snow. I might give them a pale coloring for camouflage. I might let them have glands that let them secrete an acidic liquid which reacts with the snow to make pools in which to raise their young. Then I might use that same liquid as a means of hunting for rodents that bury themselves deep under the snow. I think you get the idea.
5. This step could come in handy earlier on, but I don't usually think about it until I have the creature at least partially created in my head. Anyway, I would think of why I'm making up this creature at all. Do I need a strange source of food in a desperate climate where my characters are escaping to? Am I adding another level of danger to a hostile environment? Is it something that the characters hate or admire? Is it a symbol of a nation?
6. Then I would ask in what way do the intelligent beings of the world interact with these creatures on a day to day basis. Do the people in those mountains eat these frogs? Do they use the acid for something? Can the hide be used for clothing? Are they big enough to ride around on? Can they be domesticated?
7. All throughout these steps the visuals of my creature are developing for me. The coloring comes either for camouflage or for mating rituals. The size is so large because a human has to be able to ride it. I'm getting these funny pictures of people riding around on giant snow frogs flashing through my mind.

Anyway, I hope those tips help anyone who is working on a creature.

Wow, this is great stuff. It helped me, I must say...

2 Timothy 4:7
I have Fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the Faith.

Works Finished: The Withering Chronicles: Book 1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:48 am 
Writer
Writer

Thanks guys! Glad you liked my thoughts. I love brainstorming out ideas with people if they ever want any help with these (or other) sorts of things. Just let me know.

What I should be working on:
The Forgotten Memory (Fantasy Novel)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 am 
Writer
Writer

Andorin wrote:
Suiauthon Mimetes wrote:
A phrasing I think I made up myself. :rofl: To me that means that worldbuilding always has to be completely, 100% scientifically realistic.
The only way that changes in regards to fantasy is that the rules of science are up for grabs. I can modify science's rules, but then I have to stick to those rules as if [insert disaster behind your imagination] would occur if I didn't.

Izenroe wrote:
I often use real animals from earth. I usually find out which new species have been found...it's interesting, there are so many animals that are weird in their own way, like the animals that live in extreme conditions....there are lots of ways to be creative..

You could also use extinct animals ..creatively taking certain aspects from them and coming up with your own imaginative beast or creature..

Maybe it is because I watched way too much Animal Planet when I was a kid, but I use a method similar to these when making up creatures. Just know that I don't do it all that often. If I was in the mood to make up a creature I would do the following:
1. I would start with where it is my creature lives, asking questions about the climate. Is it hot or cold? Dry or wet? Lots of sun or a little?
I also might ask what sort of vegetation is around. Are there lots of trees? Is it a great grassy plain? Are they in the mountains with those little stunted shrubs?
2. Then I take a general animal kingdom to start with, and you can pick extremes if you want. So, do I want reptiles who live in the snow, or an amphibian, or maybe a hybrid?
3. Once I've decided I might look at some unusual examples of these types of creatures in our world. Aka, I would poke around on Wikipedia for a while, looking at pictures.
4. Then I would move into the ways the creature might survive in its environment. If it is an extreme environment then it is more fun to think of ways they might battle the elements. Asking questions about where it lives, what it eats, how it reproduces, whether or not it lives in groups, and how it escapes predators can be helpful.
So lets say it is a frog that lives in the high snow covered peaks of the Whatsitcalled Mountains. I might give them thick skin and some sort of digging legs that can make little burrows in the snow. I might give them a pale coloring for camouflage. I might let them have glands that let them secrete an acidic liquid which reacts with the snow to make pools in which to raise their young. Then I might use that same liquid as a means of hunting for rodents that bury themselves deep under the snow. I think you get the idea.
5. This step could come in handy earlier on, but I don't usually think about it until I have the creature at least partially created in my head. Anyway, I would think of why I'm making up this creature at all. Do I need a strange source of food in a desperate climate where my characters are escaping to? Am I adding another level of danger to a hostile environment? Is it something that the characters hate or admire? Is it a symbol of a nation?
6. Then I would ask in what way do the intelligent beings of the world interact with these creatures on a day to day basis. Do the people in those mountains eat these frogs? Do they use the acid for something? Can the hide be used for clothing? Are they big enough to ride around on? Can they be domesticated?
7. All throughout these steps the visuals of my creature are developing for me. The coloring comes either for camouflage or for mating rituals. The size is so large because a human has to be able to ride it. I'm getting these funny pictures of people riding around on giant snow frogs flashing through my mind.

Thanks, I now know what to say on my next Bestiary post. :D

~ Yours truly, Blayne B. Trent

"Home isn't where you live. Home is where you feel safe; whether it's four walls and a roof over your head, or with the people you love. That's home."

Sub-ForumYou can clicks it! :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:20 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
After seeing a lot of cool pictures of Gryphon hybrids, my thought is if you don't want normal things, mix all of the birds with all of the mammals.

Hummingbird/mice

Cardinal/foxes

Cockatiel/Lemurs

I thought about doing this, but it would require creating another world on top of the others I already have to worry about.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:23 am 
Captain
Captain

Lady Kitra Mimetes wrote:
After seeing a lot of cool pictures of Gryphon hybrids, my thought is if you don't want normal things, mix all of the birds with all of the mammals.

Hummingbird/mice

Cardinal/foxes

Cockatiel/Lemurs

That would make for some unique combinations. :cool:

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:29 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
My favorite, of course, is the Secretary Cheetah, but there are just so many combos to do!

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:02 am 
Captain
Captain

Lady Kitra Mimetes wrote:
My favorite, of course, is the Secretary Cheetah, but there are just so many combos to do!

That would be a nice one. :cool:

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:50 pm 
Writer
Writer

Aemi wrote:
Green Mist? I think that with science fiction, you definitely want to make up lots of new animals. However, with fantasy, I think this is not necessary. Your author friends don't need to think that using Earth animals is unoriginal, any more than using humans is unoriginal. Or using grass. Or trees.

Don't be unoriginal just for the sake of being unoriginal. As long as you are not copying anybody, it is best just to think about how your world works. If you are using your imagination, it will be unique.

Haha, that's why this is in the fantasy forum XD

"Everything that is now proven, was once only imagined." - William Blake

"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new."

- Albert Einstein

I am on The Prayer Team! Any problems, please PM me and I will PM back and pray for you :D

Do not mess with the Mist National Army. :cool:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:13 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Andorin wrote:

:shock: Those are almost identical to the steps for creature-crafting that I've had tucked away in the back of my head for a while! That's awesome!!!! :dieshappy: Now I don't have to worry about posting those thoughts because someone else already did!!! :dieshappy:

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:03 pm 

(Wow, and you can tell that Seer is very happy. Look at all those exclamation points. XD)

Good thoughts! I've never used a method before (just random disorganized creatures as they came to mind - not very efficient, to be sure!). I'll have to try this sometime. :D

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3