Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Warmogs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:53 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
In tinkering with options for my newly revamped world, I've come across a fascinating species of creatures. The Warmogs are originally modeled after a race in my world called Ukhal. But for the sake of creativity, I changed the name of the race, and also many physical attributes. The orginal Ukhal weren't much different from orcs. However, the Warmogs are another matter. :twisted:

Here's a description, so far as I've gone with it:

Warmogs have hideous heads, hairless, with a vertical slit between the "eyes" that serves as the air passageway. Their eyes themselves are covered with transparent skin, giving the appearance that they have glowing orbs beneath the surface but not real eyes. Their skin is smooth as sanded wood, and varies in color from sallow to dark brown. Instead of fingers, they have five curving claws at the end of each arm. Their large, ungainly heads are set upon thick necks and wide shoulders. Their mouths are sealed shut except when they're eating or making noises, which combined with the absence of eyes gives the impression that their faces are featureless. Their jaws can dislocate and open wide enough to eat a man's head in one bite, and they have razor-sharp, blackish teeth.

Apologies that it's not very crisp or well-written; it's just the ideas I've had gathered into a paragraph. Hopefully I can elaborate and expand more as I go on. So anyway, what do you think? How do they strike you?

~ Psalm 73:25-26

Works in progress

The Skyriders Trilogy (outlining)

What Waits in Shadow (fantasy short story--editing)
The Stranger's Gift (fantasy short story--editing)
The Crystal Orb (fantasy short story--writing)
And too many half-started ideas to count

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Warmogs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:25 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
I hope they don't strike me... o.O

The description is very good. :D I always thought the most terrifying creatures were the ones that were unreadable, so lacking facial features ranks right up there.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 am 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
Cool creatures. :cool: They sound original.

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:13 pm 

Oh my goodness, these are creepy. o.O I agree, the 'featureless' look adds to the terror - especially if one knows they can bite off one's head at a moment's notice. :pale:

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 am 
Writer
Writer

Lord Tarin, you are now and forever barred from talking to me directly before I go to sleep.
If you wanted hideous and creepy, you have got me cowering in a corner saying "Just please send in the orcs!"
Could you describe their claw-like hands better, particularly the arrangement of the claws? Are they all around the wrist focused in one point, or curving outwards, or how? Can they carry weapons?
What about their feet? Any peculiar joints?
Love the "breathing slit" by the way. That is fabulous.

Just so you know, the name "Warmogs" is currently in use in a popular RTS game, though there it is "Warmog's Armor" referring to an individual. I wouldn't worry about it, though. Your name is awesome and so completely separate from that game's usage, (and yours is so much cooler), that it shouldn't ever be a problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Your description of their eyes freak me out. :P Are they able to see well, even through the transparent skin that covers their eyes?

"One should write of ordinary life as if one were writing history." Gustave Flaubert
"Writing is hard work and bad for your health." E.B. White
"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." Robert Louis Stevenson
Writer's Block--when your imaginary friends don't talk to you.
"Creative minds are seldom tidy."
Careful--or you'll end up in my novel.

"Don't confuse wander-lust with wanting to be a missionary. There's a difference between wanting to see the World and wanting to serve it." Jamie Wright
“It takes so little to make a child happy, that it is a pity in a world full of sunshine and pleasant things, that there should be any wistful faces, empty hands, or lonely little hearts." Louisa May Alcott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:29 pm 
Writer
Writer

It reminds me of an internet meme I ran into. Or at least the expressionless, almost faceless appearance of it. It certainly sounds scary.

Now, are they solitary, or do they travel in packs? Somehow I think it would work better if it was a solitary, mythical creature spoken of in legend and almost never seen. Or at least if you've seen it you're most likely to die or something. Unless it's not hungry. Or maybe it never shows it's face unless it's hungry.

Which begs the question, is this a normal creature, or does it have some sort of malevolent intention?

Author of the forthcoming book, Peacekeeper's Essence- ‎"But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, That shines brighter and brighter until the full day." Proverbs 4:18

Be the leaf ~Ow~O

Follow me on my blog and visit my world, Rantis!
Oh, and check out my latest topic: Character Themesongs

Me: "Are you trying to implant a watermelon in my belly?"
Mom: "No, an apple tree."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]