Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Roshar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Okay, so.... I have these creatures called Roshar in my world (Roshar is plural and singular). They are roughly 7ish foot tall, have mottled black skin, long matted black hair, claws on their hands and feet, and fangs. They are practically impervious to pain, and they have a very healthy respect, if not a borderline superstitious terror, of dragons.
My problem is, I don't know exactly what they are: actual monsters or a tribe of people?
They are intelligent in that they can speak and organize attacks, and they are free thinking.
Originally, I thought that the witch in my story had created them. But the further along in the story I went, the more I disliked that idea. Not only did the Roshar become more personal and intelligent than some mutated being, but I realized I didn't want my witch to have that capability and power - the power to create something like that. Besides that, Roshar are not something she would have created anyway. They're too ugly for her.
So, anyway, I am brainstorming. I'm trying to figure out if the Roshar are like Klingons, an aggressive, warrior type of people who are easily agitated, or if they are just some evil monster that the witch found and is using.
Any suggestions and help building these guys would be great, since my poor brain is torn between three different stories right now and cannot process all of this. Haha...

A little more about the Roshar:
Their name comes from the Jataska (giant and dragon) language meaning "Breathing Dark".
They come from the Eastern Desert in my land.
Most of them have a morbid fear of dragons, sometimes referring to them as "guardians".
They prefer hunting in the dark, though daytime and sunlight does not bother them in the least.

An example of them in my story:
Keegan jolted awake out of a sound sleep, feeling a buzz of electricity run through him, shaking him. A dark feeling began creeping up his spine. He instinctively grabbed the hilt of his sword. Something dangerous was lurking nearby. He could feel its presence. He sat up silently and tried to adjust his eyes to the darkness. Clouds were in the sky, and they concealed the twin moons and the many stars that normally lit the night sky.
A twig snapped. Keegan jumped to his feet in one swift movement. He stood still and tried to listen for any inkling of movement. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end. He loosened his sword in its scabbard and gently nudged the still sleeping Saul with his boot. Saul groaned and rolled over then was silent again. Keegan rolled his eyes and kicked Saul in the leg.
Saul groaned and slowly started to sit up. “Keegan, is something wrong?” he asked groggily.
“Shhhhh!” Keegan whispered. Saul seemed to blink the sleep away, and, seeing that Keegan was disturbed, he slowly and quietly began to stand up.
A low, unearthly growl in the darkness caused both men to freeze, Keegan standing and Saul in a half- sitting position. A tall shadow leapt from the darkness and lunged for Keegan with a vicious snarl. Saul
Tales of the Wovlen: The Dragon’s Son
rolled out of the way, and Keegan jumped off to the side. The hot twinge of claws breaking skin shot up his left arm as he jumped away. He swung his sword at the shadow as he fell to the ground, landing on his back.
The shadow evaded Keegan’s sword swiftly, crouching to the ground a few feet away with a growl. It glared at Keegan through glowing yellow eyes. Then it stood to full height, as would a man. Keegan gasped as the clouds broke and moonlight poured from the sky, chasing away the shadows of the night and exposing the creature well.
It had a human appearance, with mottled black skin and was wearing only a loincloth. It was at least a head and a half taller than Saul and had long matted hair that trailed down its back and two ivory fangs protruding over its bottom lip. Sharp claws tipped its large fingers, and, as it stared at Keegan through hideous glowing eyes, it flexed the massive muscles that covered strong arms and broad shoulders.
Keegan’s gut began to twist as he realized that this was the creature that had attacked Susun. The beast crouched slightly, curling clawed fingers. It then roared and lunged for Keegan, aiming its claws for his throat and torso. Keegan rolled out of the way and jumped to his feet, swinging his sword at the monster. The sword struck the beast across the ribcage, slicing across thick flesh and opening only a small wound in the large monster. The creature roared in anger and leapt away from Keegan, just as the moonlight disappeared behind the clouds and plunged everything back into darkness.
Keegan rushed for a nearby tree, hearing the heavy footfalls of the beast as it came after him. He ducked behind the tree, preparing to swing his sword for the beast again. His boot suddenly caught in a protruding root of the tree as he shifted his position. His foot twisted, his ankle snapped, and pain jolted up his leg. He cried out in anguish as he fell to his knees, his ankle unable to bear his weight any longer.
Instantly, Saul jumped over Keegan as the monster came around the tree with a vicious snarl. The monster looked somewhat surprised by Saul’s sudden appearance, but it recovered quickly enough to dodge Saul’s sword thrust at its abdomen. It grasped Saul by the shoulders, digging its claws into Saul’s muscles, making the tall man buckle under the intense pain, then it flung Saul aside as if he were but a sack of potatoes.
Keegan heard Saul cry out as he collided with a tree, then he was silent. A familiar, warm glow began to pulse in Keegan’s chest, letting him know that help was coming, giving him strength to add to the power that his rage was now feeding him. He crawled away from the tree, cringing in pain as he moved.
“Come on! Come finish this!” Keegan yelled into the night.
The creature came around the tree and approached Keegan, malice and amusement gleaming in its yellow eyes. The moonlight shone, making it easier for Keegan to see. Blood dripped from the monster’s side where Keegan had cut it, but it seemed not to notice. It let out a quiet snarl, flexing claws and arm muscles, ready for its kill. It stooped and grabbed Keegan by the top of his scalp, staring intently into his eyes.
A strange stone around the monster’s neck began to glow, and Keegan felt a sudden panic sweep over him as all of his memories involuntarily swept through his mind. The monster continued to stare at him; its glare becoming more malicious by the second.
“Son of the dragon,” the monster growled in a deep, throaty voice as a memory of Pharrgon passed through Keegan’s mind.
Saul leapt from the shadows and onto the creature’s back with a war cry. He wrapped his arms around the beast’s neck and tried to pull it away from Keegan, throttling it. The creature roared loudly and released Keegan. Then it reached up, grabbed Saul by the head with its claws, and yanked him over its head, slamming him to the ground. It roared at Saul in anger and kicked him harshly in the shoulder. Saul cried out and rolled away, but the creature kicked him in the ribs, drawing a loud crack from Saul’s body and sending him flying several feet through the air. The monster stormed up to Saul again and grabbed Saul by the scalp, pulling the tall man to his feet with ease. It grasped Saul by the throat and slammed him up against a tree then snarled low and long, as if about to sink its long teeth into the man’s face.
With glazed eyes, Saul pulled out a dagger and stabbed it into the creature’s arm. The beast let out a vicious roar and released Saul, staggering back a few feet. It drew the dagger from its arm with a snarl, grasped the gore-covered blade between its forefinger and thumb, and then threw the sharp object at Saul. Saul, barely standing on his feet, gasped and collapsed to the ground, just missing the dagger as it embedded in the tree behind him. He then lay completely still, his body shaking as it struggled for air.
Keegan made it up to a tree and used it as a prop to help himself to his feet. He watched as the monster stood still, staring at Saul’s body in silence. It turned and looked back at Keegan. Its eyes had lost the extreme cruelty that had been in them before, and they looked tired and forlorn for a moment, but as the monster stared at Keegan, the cruelty seemed to come flooding back in greater amounts. The beast roared in extreme hate, and it turned fully, marching for Keegan with a malicious fire lighting its eyes.
Suddenly, a hot wind passed through the trees, and a hiss filled the air as a huge shadow halted over the trees. A pair of enormous golden eyes stared down at the monster, filled with rage. A mighty growl, accompanied by a hiss, vibrated through the air.
The monster stood stock still as it stared up at the shadow in the sky, terrified at what it saw. Its whole body actually began to shake in terror, and it let out a piercing scream just before a huge torrent of bright yellow flames engulfed it, silencing it forever.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Roshar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:49 pm 
Captain
Captain

Wouldn't it be interesting if you mixed up the two ideas – a race of people who are aggressive and such, and a pitiless, dumb monster?

I don't know, the idea just sort of jumped into my head. But you know how animals are capable of compassion, attachment, sympathy, and a lot of the gentler, loving emotions? What if the Roshar are just animal-like things – monsters, really, even though they have a degree of intelligence – but also are susceptible to nice impulses and emotions? What if the witch didn't create them, she just took these intelligent animal creatures and created their evil-ness? Made them into monsters, like what Beauty Smith did to White Fang in Jack London's book?

I have no idea if that would work with your story, but I thought it was worth throwing into the open.

I do agree that the power to create intelligent, evil humanoids is a very touchy sort of power, and I can see why you might not want your witch to have it.... Even in LotR, none of the evil things like Orcs and such were actually created by Morgoth or Sauron, they were just warped out of material stolen out of the original races. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:26 pm 
Writer
Writer

That is a good idea that I shall file and think on! Thanks for throwing it out there. I really like the idea of the witch warping them...and that would actually work into my story later!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:36 pm 
Captain
Captain

Kewl! * grins *

(By the way, that was a cool excerpt. From your book?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:50 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
They sound interesting. Personally, I'd definitely go the Klingon-ish route, but that's just me.

However, *polite cough* I feel I should point out that "Roshar" has already been used. By a big name author. And it carries a lot of recognition value for those of us who are his fans. So, you might consider reworking the name slightly. Just a thought. :)

I have a website now. Websites are cool. http://joelaparisi.com/
(Don't forget to subscribe to mah blog!)
I have a website for my series. Which is also cool. http://shraid.net

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]