Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you use Fairies in your world?
Yes! Of course! 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
Sometimes, they aren't a main race. 35%  35%  [ 13 ]
Nope, don't usually. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Never!! 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 37
 Post subject: Fairies In Your World
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:42 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
So, the question stands: Do you use Fairies in your world? Why or why not?

See, with the help of Disney and other TV commercial companies, Fairies have been made out to be these pixie things that flutter around and create rainbows (not that it's bad to have pixie things that flutter around and create rainbows ;) ), but I think there needs to be a wider variety of what Fairies are. I, personally, would like to read a book with Fairies that aren't pixie things. How would you go about doing that?

To answer my own questions; no, I do not use Fairies in my world(s). Mainly because I have no storyline with Fairies, I don't use Fairies for the same reasons I don't use Elves...I just don't feel the need. Perhaps, one day I shall go about creating a race of Fairies that goes against the clichés that Disney has made, but, for now, I'm satisfied with a world without Fairies. Though, that isn't to say that I don't enjoy hearing about how everybody else does Fairies in their world. :D It's always nice to hear of the new and bright ideas on HW.

Bethany Faith

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fairies In Your World
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:45 pm 
Writer
Writer

*throws glitter everywhere* :dieshappy: I am the first one to respond! COOL! Yup, I have fairies everywhere. Fighting fairies, king faries, queen fairies, and of course villianous fairies!

Carliss

and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

"To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success." H.J. Heinz

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:05 pm 
Writer
Writer

I don't normally use fairies, but it's possible my Fae are sort of similar to fairies...but definitely not the little Tinkerbell type fairies. ;) It might be fun someday to have a race of fairies that pulls from the older stories, problems with iron included. :D

You have blue skin with orange polka dots. Four eyes, one red, one yellow, one green, and one blue. You have four arms, two are furry and two are scaly. One ear is a floppy dog's ear and the other is a pointy dog's ear. Your hair is a mess of tentacles. You have the body of a centaur, with four wings and two tails (both with feathers on the end). Two wings are pink. The other two are green and black, respectively. You have a row of sharp spines going down your back (very sharp). You also hiccup rainbow bubbles... ~Vili
So, now you all know what I look like.

We're creating a HW RPG! Come check it out!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:28 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are you a published author?: Yes
I don't like using strictly Elves, fairies, or dwarves. Period. However, I do have a race of people who are similar to fairies. Although they are very different than the Disney version of Tinker Bell. My Oneedads have intense hearing enabled by their large, disproportionate pointed ears. They have luminescent skin and gossamer wings. They cover their skin in leather wrappings in order to blend into their surroundings. The Oneedads are expert assasins.

Not the traditional fairy. ;)

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:55 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I don't mind faeries as long as they're done right.... I know a girl who loves using them and hers are very good. My bondfaeries are based off traditional faeries with my own twist... going to get her to help me make them very good too. :)

Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo
(A star shines on the hour of our meeting)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:40 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Riding (or writing) against the foes of the free peoples of Middle Earth!
Sex: Male
I haven't ever used fairies. I won't say I never will, but if I do, they will a warrior race. Okay, now I have this picture of a warrior fairy, that is totally against how most people think of them. He actually pretty sweet looking.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, (in Sherlock Holmes)

Current projects:
Heroes and Demons series:
Lost Son: 3,782 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=1844
Red Son: 1,726 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=3008
Prodigal Son: Developing Stage
Grateful Son: Developing Stage
The Setting Sons: Developing Stage
All titles are tentative

Tobias the Swift: Developing Stage

Wings from above: Developing Stage

Yeah, most of my books are in the development stage, but I have a lot of ideas! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:39 pm 
Captain
Captain

It depends on whether you're talking about fairies, faeries, or fae(fay). I have faeries in the faerie realm, but I call them and other supernatural beings Entities and I'm working on a 1-10 classification system for them.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:02 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
They're not fairies exactly... I have the Shaylia and the Syphi (that's plural form). A Shayli is a little more like a stereotypical fairy but the size of a human and strictly butterfly wings, a Sylph is the same size but has moth wings and is usually a ninja.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I use elves and dwarves with my own twists from regular literature, but I have not fairies. I see not a need for them.

If you see me use the big grin, you know something special has happened:       Uses so far: 8

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:22 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Perhaps when I draw that picture of my Oneedads (like I told Jonathan I would), I will post a link in here to the ArtGuild.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:50 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Riding (or writing) against the foes of the free peoples of Middle Earth!
Why did they outlaw the wands?

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Current projects:
All titles are tentative

Yeah, most of my books are in the development stage, but I have a lot of ideas! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:03 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

*likes the sounds of Shark's fairies* Actually, I'm rather liking the sound of everybody's fairies. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:06 pm 
Writer
Writer

In my fantasy I have no fairies, although at one point, when there was still magic, in my world I did have some.
I have several short story ideas planed with fairies, ranging from evil demonic fairies to angelic Tolkienesque fairies.
Also I have my favorite one, which involves fairies that are so wild, mischievous, and forgetful it makes them scary.

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:57 pm 
Captain
Captain

Airianna Valenshia wrote:
Perhaps when I draw that picture of my Oneedads (like I told Jonathan I would), I will post a link in here to the ArtGuild.

Good idea. :D

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:38 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Technically anyone who uses elves and dwarves is using fairies ;)
Every race in my world of Fantasia is based on a different type of fairy from world folklore. There are dwarves, elves, dryads, gnomes, goblins, trolls, hyter-sprites, kinnaras, apsaras, maruts, poltergeists, and a slew of others. One of my worlds has a race inspired by the Australian bunyips. And my world of Mythica has a few including a race inspired by the Finnish Haltijas, and a race called the Faye. So yes, lots of races inspired by fairies :D But thus far no modernized tiny people with glittery butterfly wings, there are just so many types of intriguing fairies in the world that they kinda got passed over.

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:26 am 
Writer
Writer

I have pixies. They're small humanoids with wings and as yet only vaguely-defined magical powers over the woods in which they live. In order to compete with larger and stronger races on the battlefield, they use huge metal walkers powered by magic. They may be replaced by another race in a future draft; I'm still deciding if they fit well with the setting. :roll:

Nunquam Reformandus--Never Reforming

"The more laws, the less justice."--Cicero

"I hope I will never write a novel that 'contains characters.'"--Tsahraf

"The knight is a man of blood and iron, a man familiar with the sight of smashed faces and the ragged stumps of lopped-off limbs; he is also a demure, almost maidenlike, guest in a hall, a gentle, modest, unobtrusive man. He is not a compromise or happy mean between ferocity and meekness; he is fierce to the nth and meek to the nth." --C.S. Lewis, "The Necessity of Chivalry"

Current WIPs include:

The Last Flight Of Captain Calder Scott--A Wanderlust Canon Tale (Steampulp Alternate History Adventure Novelette)

Estimated length: 17,000 words.
Currently Completed Length: In Editing Phase

Rejection Letter Count: 1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:03 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Huge metal walkers? Sounds intriguing! Are they mechanical or do the faeries control the joints using magic?

If you see me use the big grin, you know something special has happened:       Uses so far: 8

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:35 pm 
Writer
Writer

Elánhil wrote:
Huge metal walkers? Sounds intriguing! Are they mechanical or do the faeries control the joints using magic?

I think the ultimate power source is magical, but after that, the operation of the machine itself is mechanical. I haven't explored the inner workings in detail yet, though.

Nunquam Reformandus--Never Reforming

"The more laws, the less justice."--Cicero

"I hope I will never write a novel that 'contains characters.'"--Tsahraf

"The knight is a man of blood and iron, a man familiar with the sight of smashed faces and the ragged stumps of lopped-off limbs; he is also a demure, almost maidenlike, guest in a hall, a gentle, modest, unobtrusive man. He is not a compromise or happy mean between ferocity and meekness; he is fierce to the nth and meek to the nth." --C.S. Lewis, "The Necessity of Chivalry"

Current WIPs include:

The Last Flight Of Captain Calder Scott--A Wanderlust Canon Tale (Steampulp Alternate History Adventure Novelette)

Estimated length: 17,000 words.
Currently Completed Length: In Editing Phase

Rejection Letter Count: 1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:55 pm 
Writer
Writer

I don't use fairies. I did in a few of my old fairy tales (the corny Prince Peter series. LOL), but I don't like the mental images they conjure up :) As a general rule I don't really like fairies, or at least the modern kind. I prefer the kind I read about in a book called The Perilous Gard. They are a lot like elves, I guess. If I ever wrote fairies in my story, it would be sort of like those fairies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:31 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Yeah, same here.

Current projects:
All titles are tentative

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next