Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you use Fairies in your world?
Yes! Of course! 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
Sometimes, they aren't a main race. 35%  35%  [ 13 ]
Nope, don't usually. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Never!! 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 37
 Post subject: Re: Fairies In Your World
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Donn, the way you call the Faeries is the same as me. I think little pixie, charming, glittery things when I hear fairy. Faerie is completely different.
My faeries are more serious, sometimes sinister beings. They don't really have wands, just long life and enhanced sensing. Solitary creatures.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 pm 

Sex: Male
Donn Quixote wrote:
When I think of the spelling, "fairy," it reminds me something of Tinkerbell, which is why I prefer the spelling, "faery," because it sounds more...well, serious?

Way-chan wrote:
I think little pixie, charming, glittery things when I hear fairy. Faerie is completely different.

How ... odd. I'll admit that the vast array of fairy tales we know from various different cultures, and the unfortunate pop-culture representations, have led to a number of divergent images associated with "fairy"---but ...

To me, "faerie", except for phrases like "Realms of Faerie" (where, were we talking about us, we might say "Humanity" or "Man" or "America" or "England") and the context of Spenser's poem The Faerie Queene (which was using a dialect of English that he invented for the purpose), simply sounds pretentious. If you want to avoid the Disney baggage associated with "fairy", "fae" is a perfectly good word. :)

On the other hand, if you feel up to changing the language, all the more power to you. :)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:17 pm 
Writer
Writer

Fae makes me think more of a kind of Faerie. Like, there are forest people, river people etc... And they are all faeries. Faerie is a general turn I like to use, to include the different groups. Faes, to me, are more like elves than real faeries. It's strange, but I've always seen them as similar to the elves of Erindale in Lord of the Rings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:02 pm 

Sex: Male
Way-chan wrote:
Fae makes me think more of a kind of Faerie. Like, there are forest people, river people etc... And they are all faeries. Faerie is a general turn I like to use, to include the different groups. Faes, to me, are more like elves than real faeries. It's strange, but I've always seen them as similar to the elves of Erindale in Lord of the Rings.

*bangs head against desk*
It's worth noting that in the fairy tales, from what I remember, "elf", "dwarf", and "fairy" were all basically synonymous. Until Tolkien changed all that. "Faerie" was a spelling of "Fairy" that Edmund Spenser invented for the supposedly-archaic "Old High English" dialect he made up for The Faerie Queene. And "fae" (if it's a singular noun at all---I shouldn't have mentioned it) is its own plural. :)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:17 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are you a published author?: Yes
I have similar connotations as Way-chan. I see Fairy as being a pixyish, impish little character. I see Faery *loves that spelling * as being more elfin, willowy, and mystical, in a sense.

Fae makes me think of a people group, as opposed to a being.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:56 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
I have developed more of a leaning toward fairy type creatures recently. Sometimes they are more nymphish, being the vague sentience of plants, rivers, and things. Other times, they are more as they originally were. Creatures like Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty who is a proud creature from a vastly different culture who has powers to wield in favor of those who please her, and in harm against those who do not. Going through a series of rewritten fairy tales, I have a lot of fun opportunities to work with fairies as every day characters and as extraordinarily arcane beings.

I don't know much about her yet, but I'm going to name one Trickadee.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:26 am 
Editor
Editor

My fairies are evil fuzzy things with stingers. :D At least in Egnitheos...

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3