Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you use Fairies in your world?
Yes! Of course! 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
Sometimes, they aren't a main race. 35%  35%  [ 13 ]
Nope, don't usually. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Never!! 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 37
 Post subject: Re: Fairies In Your World
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:49 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
My idea of someone who was able to do the stereotypical Fairies right is Scott Appleton in the book 'Swords of the Six'. He adds some stuff of his own as well as giving them sufficient backstory.

If you see me use the big grin, you know something special has happened:       Uses so far: 8

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:12 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are you a published author?: Yes
I think Luke the Mindwielder's fairies are well done in Circle of Three. :)

@Airi: I would love to see an Oneedad!

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:32 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
I may be using fairies in an upcoming book, but I'm not certain yet. I haven't used them so far. :) I also do not like the "Tinkerbell image". My fairies would be a lot scarier and a lot more dangerous than Tink... :twisted:
;)

“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world”
- C.S. Lewis

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
-Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:52 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Cool! Be sure to tell us how they turn out. :)

If you see me use the big grin, you know something special has happened:       Uses so far: 8

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Definitely! :D If I decide to use them, that is... I need to make up my mind. :P

“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world”
- C.S. Lewis

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
-Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:37 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

So far, no, I haven't used fairies, mostly for lack of appropriate placement and need in my current storyworlds. However, if I do end up writing about them someday, I certainly wouldn't call them fairies, and I would introduce substantial modifications - for example, making them blue, as in the Inkheart trilogy.

“The man who never reads will never be read; he who never quotes will never be quoted. He who will not use the thoughts of other men’s brains, proves that he has no brains of his own.” (Charles Spurgeon)

“Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love.” (Mother Teresa)

“I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams.” (Dr. Jonas Salk)

My Blog~ Of Faerie & Faith: A Christian Fantasy Blog

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 pm 
Writer
Writer

It is only in modern times that fairy has become synonymous with little creatures with wings.

Ancient tales had them full sized and ranging from angelic to demonic to dead humans.

I read that wings were a recent addition, too. Ancient tales gave them magic that allowed them to move anywhere without the use of wings.

It's your fantasy. Make your creatures your own. IMO Your ideas sound interesting.

http://lyndseyrosedavis.weebly.com
http://lyndseydavis.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lyndseydavis
http://twitter.com/lyndsey.r.davis

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:18 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Didn't they used to be small, not tiny? (3 or 4 feet, not 3 or 4 inches?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I have something similar to fairies, not exact fairies though; I guess that counts? :dieshappy:

the flames will not consume you; For I am your God.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:54 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Elánhil wrote:

That's a tricky question to answer because it kinda depends on the culture. Most of the fairies in the British Isles are of smallish size (3 to 4 feet), but there are also many types of fairies, both in the British Isles and around the world, that are human size. There's a large variety, but smaller fae is definitely a common motif.

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:09 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Elánhil wrote:

Mine are only like 3 1/2 feet tall.

the flames will not consume you; For I am your God.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 am 

I haven't fully fleshed out my ideas about fairies yet, but in my Shine Cycle there are Great Fairies and (I presume) lesser cousins. In some early material (that I might or might not end up using) Fairies and my angel-analogues, the Vaynar, acknowledge each other as something like cousins. A Great Fairy is sort of like a good dragon---a rare, solitary, comparatively ancient ("comparatively" because the world itself is less than two centuries old) being of immense power that one doesn't want to get too close to because it's dangerous by nature ("good, but not safe") but that you go in search of if you have a problem of that caliber and have exhausted all lesser solutions.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:45 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are your greater fairies different in appearance to lesser fairies?

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 am 

Airianna Valenshia wrote:
Are your greater fairies different in appearance to lesser fairies?

Like I said, I've thought very little about this---what I know about Great Fairies comes mostly from an off-hand comment about an applied-metaphysical working being well-nigh impossible under ideal conditions "with the help of a dragon and a Great Fairy thrown in for good measure"---but ...

Yes. Great Fairies are nearly "glorious and terrible" in appearance, though they can change their appearance (within reason) as they choose. Ordinary fairies are smaller; a few unusually large fairies might grow to be as tall as a short human being, but most are much smaller than that, though only an infant would be small enough to fit in your hand. Again, they have some slight ability to change their appearance, and can appear fearsome at need, but most of the time they tend to look almost whimsical. Sort of like our idea of pixies, but not quite so far in that direction.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

• Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:38 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Okay, sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot. I missed the "these aren't fully developed yet" part. :D

I'm trying to remember... I read a book once where the fairies lived among humans and were basically the size of short humans.... The concept was very interesting, I wish I could remember the book.

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:56 am 

Airianna Valenshia wrote:
Okay, sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot. I missed the "these aren't fully developed yet" part. :D

Mind you, I'm not complaining about being asked questions like this; other than the history in outline, and a few concepts that come to me at random (like "dwarven crossbows" or how I handle elves and dwarves---I should start a new thread for that, to let you people sharpen my ideas), I tend to only do, or even think about, worldbuilding when a question (or something in the draft I'm writing) makes me come to specifics. And I like doing worldbuilding-type thinking like this (in moderation). Good question. The "not fully developed" (as you put it) disclaimer is more to give myself leeway to change my mind later; it's saying to myself, "this is brainstorming, not canon."

• My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:06 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Quote:
The "not fully developed" (as you put it) disclaimer is more to give myself leeway to change my mind later; it's saying to myself, "this is brainstorming, not canon."

*laughs *

That's a good way to look at it. I agree, you should start a thread. :D

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:10 am 
Writer
Writer

Haven't thought much about them yet...I will probably call them Faerie unless I get a better name. They will be 1-2 feet tall (just a little shorter than Gnomes) will have wings and they will be magical creatures, just been thinking about how magic will work in my book(s).

"White shores..and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise."
"Well...that isn't so bad."
"No. No, it isn't."
-Gandalf and Pippen

"No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food, nor the sound of water, nor the touch of grass. There's nothing. No veil between me and the wheel of fire. I can see him...with my waking eyes!"
"Then let us be rid of it, once and for all. Come on Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you...but I can carry you! Come on!
-Frodo and Sam

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break the bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day we fight! Stand, men of the West!...For Frodo.
-Aragorn

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:28 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

We have lots of magic threads, if you need some research. :D

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:40 pm 
Writer
Writer

I have faerie, yes. They are not the type of fairies people think of everday, with wings and that are only an inch tall. Mine are more human size, filled with magic, and made to live in a certain impossible habitat that any other creature would perish in. When I think of the spelling, "fairy," it reminds me something of Tinkerbell, which is why I prefer the spelling, "faery," because it sounds more...well, serious?

-Donn Q.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next