Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Goblins - the Twisted Elves
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:59 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Many different people have used the race known as "goblins" in their books, so the challenge for me has always been reenvisioning this race in ways that others may not have thought of before. Another challenge has been justifying their classification as an "unredeemable" race, a difficult concept to justify theologically, in my mind. Lately I have been attempting to develop this race a little further, so here are some of the ideas I've had.

Physical Appearance: The goblins are a short people, the average height is between three and four feet. It is possible for them to grow five feet tall, but extremely rare. Their ashen grey skin has a sickly green hue, their hair is black, but their have been rumors of goblins with brown, red, or even blonde hair, though these claims have yet to be substantiated. Above their flat noses, large eyes bulge beneath their thine eyebrows, adapted well for seeing in subterranean environments. Despite their diminutive stature, they are capable of surprising strength, and some goblins are capable of running distances that rival elven couriers.

Origins: Goblins were originally elves, sent down into all the universes to fight against the Enemy, but they were quickly seduced to his side by the silver-tongued rebel. Though they pledged to fight for the Deceiver, he feared that they could overthrow him, and therefore tortured them and twisted them into their present form. Vitaren saw the threat they would pose to His creation, and revoked their elven immortality, though if a goblin survives all the dangers of its life it can live to be 200 years old.

Population Growth: There are female goblins, but they are viewed as inferior to males, and are thus rarely seen outside of the houses to which they are contained. A short gestation and quick weening of young allow goblin mothers to produce as many as six children a year in triplets. This rapid reproduction allows goblin populations to explode, balancing their diminutive size with sheer weight of numbers.

Religion: Goblins worship the Enemy, who they call "The Crafty One," or "Dark Prince." They believe that he and Vitaren are equals, but that the Dark One betrayed Vitaren, and that the curse was unjustly placed on their forebears helping the Crafty One escape after the ensuing battle. Similar to reincarnation, they hold that the greatest warriors and the most clever deceivers, will be released on death into the form of an angel, and come back to fight Vitaren's servants in the Spirit Realm. Those who do not make the cut cannot be saved by the Dark One from passing on to the gloomy dungeon which Vitaren has prepared for His enemies. There will be a final battle between the two spiritual armies, and when the Dark One emerges victorious, he will free his servants from his enemy's hold, confining Vitaren in the prison of His making.

Any thoughts, questions, or critiques are most welcome!

Works in Progress

The Legend of Braim, 72,594 words, published!!!
Across the Southern Sea, 4,167 words, sequel to The Legend

Websites:
Book Website
Theology Website

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Goblins - the Twisted Elves
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:08 pm 
Writer
Writer

I like your spin on Goblins.

Do you you know that Tolkien also mentioned something in the Silmarillion about is Orcs/goblins being "Twisted" elves?

Here's a quote from it.
Quote:
"Thus it was that when Nahar neighed and Oromë indeed came among them, some of the Quendi hid themselves, and some fled and were lost. But those that had courage, and stayed, perceived swiftly that the Great Rider was no shape out of darkness; for the light of Aman was in his face, and all the noblest of the Elves were drawn towards it.
But of those unhappy ones who were ensnared by Melkor little is known of a certainty. For who of the living has descended into the pits of Utumno, or has explored the darkness of the counsels of Melkor? Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressëa, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of the Orcs in envy and mockery of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes. For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Ilúvatar; and naught that had life of its own..." The Silmarillion, Of the Coming of the Elves and the Capturing of Melkor.

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 pm 
Writer
Writer

Yes, I'm an avid reader of Tolkien, I think I've read the Silmarillion at least six times... :book: That's why I've only used the phrase once in my writings, and probably won't use it again...

I'm glad you like my spin on the Goblins, any questions regarding them? Anything you think I should develop further?

Works in Progress

The Legend of Braim, 72,594 words, published!!!
Across the Southern Sea, 4,167 words, sequel to The Legend

Websites:
Book Website
Theology Website

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: No
Ive always felt people miss something vary important when it comes to Demons.
They are not Evil because they are Demons they are Demons because they are evil. So if it ceases to be evil it is no longer a Demon.
I just felt this was relevant here.

A unquestioned faith is like a unsharpened sword, keep your sword sharp.

In times of hardship. A rational faith shall outlast a blind adherence.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]