Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: No races to races: odd?
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:10 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
In my world there are different races and creatures. I'm currently writing one book in the series, but in this book I have no need for any of the characters (other than background people) to be of different races. I also have no need of any "other world" creatures. The main characters all humans, and that's how I picture them to be. Would it be odd for this one book to have all humans as main characters (or those important to the story goal), and then have different races as main characters in the other books?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: No races to races: odd?
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:49 am 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
The Christlin Kingdom wrote:
Would it be odd for this one book to have all humans as main characters (or those important to the story goal), and then have different races as main characters in the other books?

I don't think it would be odd, especially if the story gives a reason for why humans are the main characters in that part of the story, and it's not portrayed as a coincidence.

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:29 pm 

Sex: Male
It might be odd. Or it might not. It depends on the world (if there are these other races and creatures, but they're rare, it's not unreasonable for the characters of one book to never run into them) and the circumstances. Basically, whether you give it in the course of a book or not, you should have an answer (and a "Watsonian" rather than "Doylist" answer, i.e. an answer that makes sense within the world of your books rather than one based on what you needed to tell a particular story) for the question "... so if there are these fantastical creatures and non-human races, why didn't these characters ever run across any?"

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:05 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
I don't think it would be odd, personally; as long as you have the other races in your first book, so they're not appearing in your second book out of nowhere, then I don't see that there would be a problem with it.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]