Login | Register

Post subject: Race profile: Foxes
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
This is my first world building post! :dieshappy: My story will not have any humans, elves, dwarves or other humanoids. Instead, my story will only feature anthropomorphic animals.

The main character will be a fox (that is him in my avatar), so this is a start of a profile about his race. There will be other foxes in this story, but they will be quite different from these ones. I will eventually have a specific name for these foxes, but for now, I will just call them 'the Foxes'. I haven't filled in all the details, but will post as I update.

Feel free to ask questions! I am hoping your questions will spur further ideas! :)

Race:
Anthropormorphic red foxes

The Foxes live in a vast forest, interspersed with a few meadows and clearings. The terrain is hilly, with the hills gradually getting bigger and bigger until they become mountains east of the main settlements of foxes. The climate is temperate, with warm to hot summers, but cold winters. Precipitation is abundant and sometimes severe, with both fierce winter storms and strong summer thunderstorms. There are a few larger rivers and lakes. The hills make for a plethora of waterfalls as well.

Culture
- To be completed later

Religion
- Monotheistic (semi-allegorical to Christianity)

Settlements
Villages. One larger town. Many live outside of the main settlements. More details coming soon.

Government
The Foxes place an emphasis on local administration, with each settlement being run like a clan. Some clan leaders are elected, while others inherit their title. The need for a large government is addressed with a council with representatives from each clan. If problems can be solved by the local clans, they are done so. There are a small number of clans, somewhere between 5-12.

Foreign Policy
The Foxes are isolationist and have few dealings with those outside of the forest. Trade is limited to between clans and other small groups of forest dwellers. There is a debate outside of the forest whether the Foxes still exist and to how great their numbers and strength may be.

Education
- To be completed later

Labor & Trades
- To be completed later

Armed Forces
- To be completed later

Other sections will be added as ideas come.

Worldbuilding Posts

- Fox race
- Magic

On Twitter @redfox4god

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Race profile: Foxes
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:13 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
What are the families like?

What is it like for a fox as he grows up?

What do the other forest races think of them?

What can other creatures provide in trade that the foxes cannot get for themselves?

Do they barter, or have a currency?

Are the animals they hunt for food also sentient?

Do they farm or herd at all?

How are their homes built?

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:20 am 
Captain
Captain

I like what you have so far, Todd! (I'm a big fan of anthropomorphic animal fantasy. :cool:)

Do foxes prefer certain types of weapons? I'm curious to see what you add under the blank sections, such as Labor & Trades. :D

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:46 am 
Writer
Writer

Thanks for the questions! It means a lot to get them, and its already helping me brainstorm more ideas! Here are some answers, and then I will update the first post a bit later on.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
What are the families like?

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
What is it like for a fox as he grows up?

These will need a bit more expanding, but family life for the foxes is strong and very important. While there are no strict rules stating such, typically the father will be skilled in a certain trade to be the provider, while the mother stays home with the children as the primary homemaker and educator. The children are expected to help with the various chores, as work is a valued thing. The children are educated at home early on, but eventually can focus on a trade and even become and apprentice. Some families have 3 or even 4 generations living in the same home, but this is less common than a traditional family. There is a great deal of respect within the households, especially from children towards their elders. Relaxation and play is also valued, especially for the children. Pranks are a common form of entertainment, especially for boy foxes entering their tween years.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
What do the other forest races think of them?

This will need a LOT more work, since I have very little in mind for the other races. Generally speaking though, the forest is a peaceful place. The foxes are among the most sentient of the races, with perhaps 2 or 3 other matching them. Other races are not quite as developed. These tend to hold the foxes in high regard. Wolves, which at the beginning of the story are uncommon in the forest, are naturally sworn enemies to the foxes, while falcons are extremely close to the foxes.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
What can other creatures provide in trade that the foxes cannot get for themselves?

A large part of the foxes' few imports from outside the forest are grain & spices- things that they can't grow in the forest. Unsure at this point about what they trade with other forest races. Probably raw materials, which they then craft for the less sapient races.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Do they barter, or have a currency?

They mostly barter. There is a local forest currency which they use, though the currency is old and unregulated.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:

Absolutely not. Such an act would be murder and practically cannibalism, even if its a different species. I need to work out the details on why some animals are sentient and others are not, but like Narnia, it will be some sort of creation story.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Do they farm or herd at all?

There are limited crop growing areas for large scale farming. There are some farms with corn/wheat/soybeans in the forest clearings, but these are mostly family run self-sufficient farming operations. However, there is a great deal of fruit growing, especially berries of various varieties. Many families also have some chickens for eggs and goats for milk and meat.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
How are their homes built?

Most homes are built of wood and consist of one ground level and a small cellar. Families that have grandparents living with children and grandchildren often have a second level. Will need more details on the houses though.

Jonathan Garner wrote:
Do foxes prefer certain types of weapons?

The foxes prefer light weapons that to not impede their mobility. Short, light swords and bows and arrows are among the favorites and are most commonly seen with a fox.

Worldbuilding Posts

- Fox race
- Magic

On Twitter @redfox4god

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:03 am 
Captain
Captain

fox4god wrote:
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:

Absolutely not. Such an act would be murder and practically cannibalism, even if its a different species. I need to work out the details on why some animals are sentient and others are not, but like Narnia, it will be some sort of creation story.

I like how Brian Jacques, in the Redwall series, has the invertebrates and fish act just as they do in this world, while mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians are all anthropomorphic. It's a simple and consistent way of going about it.

fox4god wrote:
Jonathan Garner wrote:
Do foxes prefer certain types of weapons?

The foxes prefer light weapons that to not impede their mobility. Short, light swords and bows and arrows are among the favorites and are most commonly seen with a fox.

Sounds good.

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 pm 
Captain
Captain

Besides physical appearance, what traits do the foxes share with normal foxes?

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:04 pm 
Writer
Writer

13 months later..... :P
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Besides physical appearance, what traits do the foxes share with normal foxes?

Now, I have a rather elevated and lofty view of foxes, so bear with me...I'll explain.

Ingenuity & Creativity- This is the trait that makes people think foxes are sly and crafty. The ability to make out-of-the-box decisions that work, whether after a lot of thought or on the fly. Certainly this can be misused in a sly manner...but it can also be used for wholesome benefits. Resourceful could be another word used here.

Family- For the most part, a pair of foxes will stay together year after year. The father fox helps the mother raise the pups. This I translate into a culture that values strong nuclear families and involved, loving fathers (probably a major theme of my story...)

Omnivores- Foxes eat a mixed diet of meat (bugs, mice, rabbits...maybe a chicken but the stereotype isn't exactly true) and fruits/plants. They don't waste and will cache food for later use. Translating this to a cultural practice seems to naturally lead towards small family farming and small, local-based economies.

I realize reading back on my last answers from over a year ago that these are mostly in line with what I said back then....but with any differences, this and subsequent posts override anything previous.

Worldbuilding Posts

- Fox race
- Magic

On Twitter @redfox4god

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:04 pm 
Captain
Captain

Are they more prone to homesteading or hunting and gathering?

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 pm 
Writer
Writer

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Are they more prone to homesteading or hunting and gathering?

I would say homesteading, as it provides stability for a family. Hunting/gathering is practiced occasionally, mostly by unmarried males. Since family is very important though, those that stay unmarried for too long (with the exception of staying unmarried to pursue a religious vocation) are a bit frowned upon...

Worldbuilding Posts

- Fox race
- Magic

On Twitter @redfox4god

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:31 pm 
Captain
Captain

Do they arrange marriages for the sake of stability, or are young adults encouraged to choose their own partners?

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm 
Writer
Writer

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Do they arrange marriages for the sake of stability, or are young adults encouraged to choose their own partners?

Marriages are not arranged. I haven't given much thought to the courtship procedure. I suppose, with my planned story line, I'll have to eventually ;)

Worldbuilding Posts

- Fox race
- Magic

On Twitter @redfox4god

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:28 pm 
Writer
Writer

How old do the foxes live?

What is their attitude toward death? Glorification or annhilation?

Do they have any concept of an afterlife?

Are they cowardly?

Offline Profile