Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Centering a Map
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:41 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Hey y'all,
This just dawned on me suddenly today as I was working on my world map. Maps of old had "centers", that is to say, they centered on a specific nation, country, or continent that would be the center of attention. In most maps we see today, the center is Europe. When I lived in Latin America, the center was the Americas. In China, maps were centered on themselves.

This is often something we can miss in our current maps. I should know: the center of my world map is ocean :P

So, have y'all centered your maps? How so? What nation?

Personally, I centered my map on the capital of Sannahet. This nation is advanced and thus my world map is "from" that nation - the names are also in this language.

e.g: (Oh, you get to see my top-secret massive map-in-progress ;))
If you trace out the middle, you'll see it's in the ocean just south of the 'M' in Munkaan! :P

Much better. The center is now Areol, on the island of Sannahet. (This was quickly done using Photoshop's offset filter, thus the ugly seams :P)

So, just a small way to add some realism to your maps :D What do you think?

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Centering a Map
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:47 pm 
Captain
Captain

I haven't done a full world map so far, just a "known world" map, so I can't center that one due to physical limitations. However, that is a good idea for world maps. :book:

(By the way, very nice map. ;))

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 pm 

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Yes, this is a very good idea, Eru. :D I never thought about it before. In fact, if you looked at some of my maps, you might find that the center was the ocean in them. :P Oh well, they're not the official ones... Neat map, by the way! :D

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:19 pm 

My map, too is a "known world" map (though that's "known to me" rather than "known to the inhabitants," since by the end of my Outline of History they're well past expanding into space), consisting of two very large continents and centered on the comparatively small land bridge connecting them. But this is a point that I hadn't even thought to consider :)

What did British maps of Europe before the discovery of the Americas look like, I wonder? It'd be a trifle ... obvious ... to center a map on a place on the edge of the area you're concerned with. (As my map would be, unless it were the Enemy, or one of the lesser countries in the middle, making the map.)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

@Jonathan: Ah, that makes sense :)

@Milly: Right--it just dawned on me as I was looking at my map that the ocean was centered :P Hence this thread :D

@Kingjon: I believe most early European maps were centered on Roman/Greece, particularly Greece. Most early historians were Greek/Roman and that makes a fairly logical center for Eurasiafrica. :)

I tried to aim for a fairly technologically advanced nation, one that would be seafarers and mappers by necessity :D

@all: Hopefully the map'll be done soon :P

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:03 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Yes, map centers are really important indicators of the balance of power in a world! I know when I used to live in Japan, all the maps were centered on Japan, with the Asian continent on the left and the Americas on the right (with some overlap).

As for my world, like many, it's a known-world map. I'm not sure about anything much beyond its borders--perhaps just The End. In which case, it's centered in that the continent of the known world is splat in the center :D

“The man who never reads will never be read; he who never quotes will never be quoted. He who will not use the thoughts of other men’s brains, proves that he has no brains of his own.” (Charles Spurgeon)

“Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love.” (Mother Teresa)

“I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams.” (Dr. Jonas Salk)

My Blog~ Of Faerie & Faith: A Christian Fantasy Blog

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

@Evenstar: Known-world maps are always nice :D

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:26 pm 
Writer
Writer

Slightly off-topic, but are y'all just maptastically/artistically gifted, or do you have a program that you use (other than just plain photoshop) to design your landmasses? While I can muddle about pretty well in web-design, I'm not much of an 'ar-teest,' and so mapping is not one of my gifts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:56 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

@Roundelais: You do web design too? Cool :cool:

As to your question. I design my landmasses with the pencil tool in Photoshop, using a mouse. Yes, that breaks every rule of graphic drawing, but that's my point. It turns out a really unsteady line. :D Then once I've come up with a basic coastline and have filled it in with a color I go back along the borders with a small brush and add coves, inlets, the works :D

I am not an artist either, but the brush tool is your friend :dieshappy:

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:47 am 
Writer
Writer

Well, I do a bitsy - nothing terribly fancy. I minored in it, but they didn't even have a course on Dreamweaver until after I graduated, and Perlscript was just coming in. ^_^;

Thanks for the tips on mapmaking. So far I've just been snagging bits of actual geography and altering them. (Such as taking a couple of counties and lumping them together.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:01 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Ooh - counties is an excellent idea, I hadn't thought of that. Cool :cool:

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:06 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

When I think of counties I think of democracies. Remind me. Are there any democracies in Enderion? :/

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Some. Most democracies are so in name only. A few true democracies exist along with a smattering of republics. Monarchy is the most common option, however - Flerré is the most progressive of the continents, Tbuga the most backwards.

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

*nods*

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:38 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Once I finish up my map, I'll put it up. My map is centered on the center of the world, the pinnacle. This is where the two trees are and where the flame of the elves is. The world is divided in two by a line that passes directly through the small pinnacle island. It was simple to center it because the pinnacle is important in every culture, but for different reasons.

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
-The Return of the King

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:14 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sounds cool, Aldara! :cool:

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 pm 

That's neat, Aldara! I can't wait to see your map! :D

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:08 pm 
Captain
Captain

I never thought about it, so my map is centered on the middle of the world viewed from orbit, or Utontol or Evenfar, which is a spot in the ocean. Then again, my map so far is only meant for me and other writers.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:58 pm 
Captain
Captain

My map is centered on an ocean. :) But then, of course, it was made by the sea people.... ;)

I had never thought of this before. Good thing to bring up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:09 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: The Running Rivers, Tall Forests, and Mighty Mountains of the Northwest
Depends on who's making it.

The dwarves are expert surveyors, have explored the entire continent, and have divided it into numerous quadrants, each of which have been meticulously mapped. Naturally, each map focuses on the center of the quadrant. Maps combining multiple quadrants focus on the geometric center of the combined quadrants.

The men explore a lot, but have extremely poor relations with each other and the other races, and therefore many areas are off limits to them, and maps of these areas are difficult to acquire. Man's maps are generally limited to local regions, and are centered on significant inhabited areas, such as a capital, fortress, or metropolis.

The elves are nomadic wanderers, no surveying skill, and little skill in writing. They make no maps. They do, however, leave rock structures with carvings at the "entry points" to various areas, which encode a basic description of the areas geography and the location of important objects, like water sources or dangerous places. These generally include astronomical, directional, and descriptional information, which is more than adequate for any elvish shepherd to find his way.

*edit*

I think I killed another thread by over-posting. Beg pardon, all.

Redemption is to be purchased, to have a price paid. So I was redeemed from my master sin, and from justice, which demanded my death. For He paid the price of sin by becoming sin, and met the demands of justice by dying for us.

For all men have a master. But a man cannot have two masters. For he will love one and hate the other. You cannot serve God and sin. So I die to the old, as He died, and I am resurrected to the new, as He was resurrected.

Note: Ebed is Hebrew for bondsman, Eleutheros is Greek for unrestrained (not a slave).

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next