Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Map of an Unnamed World
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:14 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Hey, y'all, Jakorosin here from over on the SF boards. (Joel P. on the Anomaly, if anyone's there).

Anyway, I wanted to get some input on mapses. I have this lovely map I did in Paint; but seeing how my artistic skills about equal those of a cat, I would like to see if anyone would be willing to make it look good. :)

This map is for a novel I'm co-writing with rjj7 (Randy) over on the Anomaly, and it's not completed yet (as we'll be adding cities as we go).

So anyway. Thoughts? Critiques? People willing to make it look better?

Attachments:
Full Map.png
Full Map.png [ 634.95 KiB | Viewed 588 times ]

I have a website now. Websites are cool. http://joelaparisi.com/
(Don't forget to subscribe to mah blog!)
I have a website for my series. Which is also cool. http://shraid.net
 Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Map of an Unnamed World
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:37 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are you a published author?: Yes
Oh, wow. :shock: That is absolutely amazing; much better than any of the maps I've ever made.

I honestly and truly do not have any critique; I absolutely love this map! :) As a matter of fact, if you have the time, I'd like to hear how you made it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:20 am 
Writer
Writer

Gee...thanks!

Absolutely!

So... Okay. The only brushes I use are the standard one, the spraypaint one, and the highlighter (though in varying sizes depending on the size of the map. Play around a bit to see what sizes work best for you). The only colors I use are the ones in the default palette. Also, I'm working from the Windows Vista/7/8 version of Paint. It's nicer than the old one. :)

I start with a blank sheet in Paint, and I make it quite big. I save it as a .png file, as that's the best format for not messing up your colors and resolution.

Next, I draw major landmasses in (in whatever configuration you want for your story) using a black standard brush. After I'm happy with the way the landmasses look, I add islands. Lots and lots of islands. :D

Once I think I've got the general look of the land I'm going for (you can never have enough islands!) I take the fill tool in the palest default blue and apply it to the non-landmass area. Poof! You have a sea.

Next up I usually do the political borders. Again, just use the default brush, in black, and make dashed lines to demarcate your political borders.

After that, I turn to geographical features. I use the highlighter in pale blue to make the rivers, and I trace out the lakes using the default black brush. Mountains I do with a brush the same size as the borders, only in grey. Forests and swamps I do in green and pale green, respectively, using the spraypaint brush. Again, find a size that works for you. (Deserts I do the same way, only in brown).

The cities are, quite simply, a circle drawn with the shape tool, then filled with whatever color I like. The little castle, on the other hand, took me about thirty minutes to make perfect. (You can download the attachment and copy-paste the castles in Paint if you want).

Add text using the text tool. The nation text I do in Americana BT, something like 48pt. Cities I do in the same, 14pt.
WARNING: In my experience, when you go to change the font, Paint will freeze up for as long as 80 seconds. Don't panic, it'll recover and let you continue.

The key is just a simple grey box with the random stuff you need to be able to identify in it. For the compass rose, play around with the different shape tools to get a look you like (I did two elongated diamonds covered by a circle and used the fill tool to color them).

I think that's it. Any questions, just ask! (And I'm glad you like my map, but I know it could be SO much more professional. And that irks me :P).

Attachments:
Castle.png
Castle.png [ 14.01 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Awesome! ^_^ Thank you so much!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 am 

Sex: Female
Ooh, cool map! :D That's better than I could do on a computer. All my maps are hand drawn. :rofl:

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 am 
Editor
Editor

Jakorosin wrote:
Anyway, I wanted to get some input on mapses. I have this lovely map I did in Paint; but seeing how my artistic skills about equal those of a cat, I would like to see if anyone would be willing to make it look good. :)

:evil: Don't be mean to cats! ;)

Awesome map. Much better than anything I could've made in Paint. (Though, that's not saying much :P)

I also like the fort/castle representation. It kind of reminds me of the ones from the original 8-bit Mario.

Balec can erase the memories of others. He has the powers and talents of a gorilla, but only for five minutes at a time. Balec is protected by an adamantium-like hide and can transform any sloth into air, and can transform kevlar into ice. Balec has been known to absorb the damage from energy-based attacks and redirect it against any combatant in sight. He can tunnel through solid plastic, but doing so drains his endurance for one hour. Balec is able to view distant locations with his mind.
He can force creatures to freeze in place and can become tiny. Sadly, Balec becomes ugly in the presence of silver, and struggles with being unable to smell.

"When does school end? Every moment of life teaches you something." ~Philosopher Balec, Dec. 2nd, 2014 (Profound sayings)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

This is one awesome map! :D Good job!

"One should write of ordinary life as if one were writing history." Gustave Flaubert
"Writing is hard work and bad for your health." E.B. White
"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." Robert Louis Stevenson
Writer's Block--when your imaginary friends don't talk to you.
"Creative minds are seldom tidy."
Careful--or you'll end up in my novel.

"Don't confuse wander-lust with wanting to be a missionary. There's a difference between wanting to see the World and wanting to serve it." Jamie Wright
“It takes so little to make a child happy, that it is a pity in a world full of sunshine and pleasant things, that there should be any wistful faces, empty hands, or lonely little hearts." Louisa May Alcott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 am 
Captain
Captain

I love drawing maps, but I'm not sure if my style is exactly what you're looking for...I go more towards scientific detail than artsy epicness. But if you are interested, you can send me a PM and I'll show you one of my maps and see if you like it. :) (Oh...and I do all my maps by hand, if that makes any difference.)

As for realism and detail and stuff, I could give you some critiques if you'd like. As I said, I love maps. I study my atlas (it's a really nice atlas :cool:) just for fun whenever I have time. It fascinates me....

Sorry, birdwalk. D:

(I recognize you from Anomaly. :D Welcome to the fantasy side of HW!)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:50 pm 
Writer
Writer

Hey, thanks for all the compliments, guys! I didn't realize I did well at this... :P

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]