Login | Register

Post subject: Aubrey's on Patreon!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
WAIT, IT'S NOT DONE YET! *hides your eyes* ...but I would really love feedback on what I have up already. *lets you take a peek*

https://www.patreon.com/aubreyhansen

This channel won't officially launch until the first week of April. I am still waiting for my banner art (I've seen the base sketch, and it looks epic :shock: ), and getting some more exclusive content ready. I hope to have a Patreon-exclusive ebook available at launch, as well as several chapters of Peter's Angel to release weekly.

But in the meantime, my description, rewards, and goals are all filled out. I would really love feedback! I'm taking this Patreon a bit of a different direction than most, and giving away all my books at the lowest level. Even if I published one 99c ebook a month, I would still make more giving it away through Patreon than I would selling to the same number of people on Kindle, and I would rather focus on building a community of even 100 people that have already decided, "Sure, I want to read what you have next"--instead of constantly trying to advertise over and over again to the same people.

So that's my logic behind doing a Patreon, and I explain it in more detail (and with more passion :rofl:) in the description. I would love feedback on the description, and value-to-cost ratio of the reward levels, and my goals (i have two). Does it seem like a good value for supporters? Does the description make you want to learn more?

Thank you for the feedback, guys. ^_^

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Aubrey's on Patreon!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:48 am 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
When I saw your FB post, I had the thought that I should have thought of Patreon as a good fit for you and suggested it a couple of years ago. :) I only regret that I don't yet have a regular enough income myself to support any creators on a regular basis.

Lt. General Hansen wrote:
I'm taking this Patreon a bit of a different direction than most, and giving away all my books at the lowest level.

I'm only really aware of about three other people who are funding themselves on Patreon (though I'm notoriously oblivious to such things ...), and of the three one is a semi-major blogger for whom (I think) Patreon basically replaced ads on his website, the second is a software developer currently working on modernizing one of the key pieces of the Internet's software infrastructure, and only the third is a "creator" who isn't "giving away" his content anyway. (I haven't looked at any of their Patreon pages, but I've read what each has said on his blog about these things.) That last one complained, in the early days of his Patreon experience, about people pledging for a certain amount to download the files for that reward tier, then cancelling their pledge ... so making this a "pay what you can afford" rather than "buy what you can afford" seems to me a good way to build a predictable income, in addition to fitting the "patronage" model better.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

*nods* That's always a risk, but, that's still selling my books to people who want to read them--and, of course, if I have a continual stream of good books, most people will decide to stay. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:28 am 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
That's always a risk

My point was, your approach is a good way to avoid or at least mitigate that risk: if someone pledges, downloads, and cancels a pledge, you've only lost $1 :)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kingjon wrote:
That's always a risk

My point was, your approach is a good way to avoid or at least mitigate that risk: if someone pledges, downloads, and cancels a pledge, you've only lost $1 :)

Oh! Thank you. :D Plus, I hope by keeping it low that more people will be like "Eh, what's $1?" and stick around.

Offline Profile