Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Cobha
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:14 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Patrick Darren Lauser to my frank friends of Holy worlds, greetings, the Lord bless ye, and remember that the Lord is in our midst. Ye can call me Patrick, or Halas Malakh, or PD until I decide on a handle that I would enjoy having.

Touching cobha, it is a word that I made up, and I place in in Alain, and in the Alauyt language. It is pronounced cone, lava.

In an explanation of what it means:

When you make an Otherworld it is necessary for most of it to be the same as the Familiarworld, yet if the whole work was only describing the events that happened in the Familiarworld it would not be fiction. In one sort of fiction the author tries to make it so that the only reason the story could not have actually happened is that it did not actually happen. The reader is trying to believe that the events actually happened, which is the case with all fiction, and things that happen that make the story physically impossible mar its believability.

In another sort of fiction (fantasy), events that are physically impossible, and are as carefully written by the author as the rest of the story, are included so that the reader may experience things that are physically impossible.

Now there is no word in English, that is, none that I know of, for an event of this kind. But since these events occur in your Otherworld, or at least in your fantasy fiction stories, you would need to have a name created to suit your own stories and Otherworlds. Without it you would have to call these events nothing, or explain them somehow: he was dreaming, it was a miracle, it was magic. Explanation is all I have seen authors do.

I name it.

I include it as a part of my Otherworld, as part of the several languages of my Otherworld. In Alain a thing that is physically impossible in the Familiarworld is called cobha, or a cobha; in Pilane it is called sross; in Robonaz there is a word for it, but I do not know what it is yet.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
I Corinthians 11:1

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

My Book on Amazon.

Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld.

One of my posts: Introducing You to Iniel (third update)

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Cobha
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Inesdar wrote:
So you would be Jay's brother no?

Though indeed with family relations with the creator of this little place, you would scarcely need welcome I bid you welcome nonetheless!

So what is your 'Otherworld' like?

In Christ

Brendan

Yes he is my brother. And you do not want to know what his Otherworld is like: it makes me dizzy and disoriented (to say the least). :)

I will get him to post though, since he doesn't get on all that often.

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:40 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Riding (or writing) against the foes of the free peoples of Middle Earth!
Are you a published author?: No
Is there any way to say that in simpler words? I think I understand, but I'm not sure. Cobha would be what is physically impossible made possible by what the author writes so the reader can experience what is physically impossible.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, (in Sherlock Holmes)

Current projects:
Heroes and Demons series:
Lost Son: 3,782 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=1844
Red Son: 1,726 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=3008
Prodigal Son: Developing Stage
Grateful Son: Developing Stage
The Setting Sons: Developing Stage
All titles are tentative

Tobias the Swift: Developing Stage

Wings from above: Developing Stage

Yeah, most of my books are in the development stage, but I have a lot of ideas! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:12 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Hi there. That is a highly interesting concept you have concerning Cobha. I got lost halfway through, but it was fascinating, so I have to reread it.

Your Otherworld makes Sir Emeth disoriented!? The Sir Emeth Mimetes whose words and stories have my mind spinning? Whew, that's . . . well, startling. Unheard of. I can't believe it. :shock:

I'd love to learn more about it, though! :) Maybe story artistry just runs through the Lauser family.

Heavens shout and sing your name,
Manifest greatness nothing can tame,
A lion striding, forth you came
Roar of thunder, mane of flame

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:18 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Story artistry at least runs in the Lauser Children, and our parents show evidence of it once in a while. :)

I am still finding time to type in Patrick's response to your question, Brendan, sorry.

Cobha is those natural laws and processes, as a group, which are different from the Familiarworld. So yes, Cobha is what is impossible, made possible by the sub-creation of your imagination. Thus, something which might be magical in our Familiarworld, might be utterly normal in an Otherworld.

All power comes from God, period. It can be used wrongly and out of place, but all power comes from God: even power that comes from demons. God gave it to them, and if you take it, it is not yours. Now, if God gives to your natural races a power, then there is nothing wrong with them using it.

The point is that there is not just Miracles and Black Magic: there is also perfectly natural things like picking up a spoon. Now, cobha is where those categories are differently arranged: containing different acts and abilities, than what we are used to in our world.

Make sense?

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Riding (or writing) against the foes of the free peoples of Middle Earth!
Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
Story artistry at least runs in the Lauser Children, and our parents show evidence of it once in a while. :)

I am still finding time to type in Patrick's response to your question, Brendan, sorry.

Cobha is those natural laws and processes, as a group, which are different from the Familiarworld. So yes, Cobha is what is impossible, made possible by the sub-creation of your imagination. Thus, something which might be magical in our Familiarworld, might be utterly normal in an Otherworld.

All power comes from God, period. It can be used wrongly and out of place, but all power comes from God: even power that comes from demons. God gave it to them, and if you take it, it is not yours. Now, if God gives to your natural races a power, then there is nothing wrong with them using it.

The point is that there is not just Miracles and Black Magic: there is also perfectly natural things like picking up a spoon. Now, cobha is where those categories are differently arranged: containing different acts and abilities, than what we are used to in our world.

Make sense?

Yeah, it is pretty easy to understand when you put it that way.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, (in Sherlock Holmes)

Current projects:
Heroes and Demons series:
Lost Son: 3,782 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=1844
Red Son: 1,726 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=3008
Prodigal Son: Developing Stage
Grateful Son: Developing Stage
The Setting Sons: Developing Stage
All titles are tentative

Tobias the Swift: Developing Stage

Wings from above: Developing Stage

Yeah, most of my books are in the development stage, but I have a lot of ideas! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:47 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Very interesting :) After reading over this thread again, I think I understand it, mostly. So basically cobha is something that is physically impossible in one world, but normal in another?

And despite how confusing your Otherworld is said to be, I would actually love to hear about it :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:19 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Arias Myles wrote:
Very interesting :) After reading over this thread again, I think I understand it, mostly. So basically cobha is something that is physically impossible in one world, but normal in another?

And despite how confusing your Otherworld is said to be, I would actually love to hear about it :)

Yes, exactly.

I know, I am trying to get it typed in. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:56 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Finally! I have looked and looked for a definition of cobha and I have finally found it and, what is more, I understand! Yay!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:43 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Thanks for bumping this thread so that I could see it, Armorbearer...I was just about to start a thread on cobha asking what it really is. :D And thanks Jay/Patrick for your explanations. (I'm not sure who wrote what...) :D

eruheran

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:16 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I love the way you write, Patrick! Do you talk like that too? It's simpler than Shakespeare, and yet more comprehensible than Thomas Mallory, and yet you have the beauty of both, or more. I can't quite put my finger on it, and I'm usually very good at copying styles, but I could read that all day. :D

And it makes perfect sense to me. A word for it is cool. ;)

(It's like reading Tyndale! Tyndale writes like that and its breathtakingly beautiful...)

Floyd was frozen where he stood. He struggled to breathe, but the air smelled of blood and death and guilt. He tried to formulate a name, to ask, but language was meaningless, and words would not come. He tried to scream but the sound got stuck in his heart, shattered into a million pieces, and scattered to the wind.

In a world without superheroes, who will stand against the forces of evil?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:17 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

He says you are encouraging. :)

Haha, I agree with you on that though, he is really amazing.

He tries to talk like that, but he doesn't always succeed. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Janin of Yen wrote:
I love the way you write, Patrick! Do you talk like that too? It's simpler than Shakespeare, and yet more comprehensible than Thomas Mallory, and yet you have the beauty of both, or more. I can't quite put my finger on it, and I'm usually very good at copying styles, but I could read that all day. :D

And it makes perfect sense to me. A word for it is cool. ;)

(It's like reading Tyndale! Tyndale writes like that and its breathtakingly beautiful...)

I am encouraged. Thank you!

Tyndale is the best writer of English that ever has, or ever will be.

I love the writing of Tolkien. He is very courteous and humble, and sincerely correct. He is peaceful and independent.

Another author that I like is Rudyard Kipling. He is able to communicate something foreign in an understandable way.

I thought of another way to explain cobha:

There are fictional characters, characters you can never meet in the Familiarworld; there are fictional places, places you can never go to in the Familarworld; there are fictional events, events that never have, and never will happen in the Familiarworld; and there are fictional possibilities, things that are not possible (as far as we know) in the Familiarworld.

And that is cobha.

Pretending that a man can leap fifty feet into the air, seeing that you are already pretending that he exists... in the Otherworld.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
I Corinthians 11:1

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

My Book on Amazon.

Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld.

One of my posts: Introducing You to Iniel (third update)

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:26 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

So you're familiar with Tyndale! Cool. You agree with me about Tyndale which explains why you're so good. :D

Very impressive. Keep it up. Write more on here. :)

Floyd was frozen where he stood. He struggled to breathe, but the air smelled of blood and death and guilt. He tried to formulate a name, to ask, but language was meaningless, and words would not come. He tried to scream but the sound got stuck in his heart, shattered into a million pieces, and scattered to the wind.

In a world without superheroes, who will stand against the forces of evil?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 pm 

Cobha... I might have a little in my books so far, but not a lot as of yet. I am extremely wary of using magic in my writing, but I do not hesitate to create bizarre creatures that can do impossible things... Yeah, I guess that's cobha.

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:03 pm 

You're Jay's bro? :shock: Haha, nice. :D

It's hard to hold a candle in the cold November rain... -November Rain, Guns'NRoses
Romans 12:18- If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:34 am 

Forgive me if I do not understand your statement, but I'm not sure who that was directed to.

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:06 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Elly was referring to the original post, which was made by my brother. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:13 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Milly Manderly wrote:
Forgive me if I do not understand your statement, but I'm not sure who that was directed to.
I think she was referring to Tsahraf. :)

If you see me use the big grin, you know something special has happened:       Uses so far: 8

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:20 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Tsahraf is Jay's younger brother, Elanhil.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next