Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cobha
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:36 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Airianna Valenshia wrote:
Tsahraf is Jay's younger brother, Elanhil.
Yes, that is why I said what I said... :?

If you see me use the big grin, you know something special has happened:       Uses so far: 8

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Oh, sorry, I interpreted your meaning differently.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 am 

Thanks! :)

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

Post subject: What is Cohba?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could someone please explain to me in simple terms :) what cohba is? I know it isn't magic so what is it? What examples can you give me? :D

Thank you!

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What is Cohba?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:20 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Good question...I'm not entirely sure, but I think cobha would be something similar to super-human abilities. For example; a shape shifter's ability to change into different beings would be cobha since it isn't magic, but rather an ability that is above average.

I think that's the best I can describe it...I'm not sure, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:09 pm 
Captain
Captain

It's a natural part of your world that is not in our world. The Dwarves skills at mining is cobha, as is the shapeshifters ability.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:40 am 
Captain
Captain

Elanor wrote:
Could someone please explain to me in simple terms :) what cohba is? I know it isn't magic so what is it? What examples can you give me? :D

Thank you!

To paraphrase Sir Emeth's interpretation of Tsahraf's description of Cobha:
Quote:
Cobha is those natural laws and processes, as a group, which are different from our world but normal in a fantasy world. So cobha is what is impossible, made possible in the fantasy world of your imagination. Thus, something which might be magical in our world, might be normal in a fantasy world.

If I am understanding cobha correctly, anything in a fantasy world that is normal for that world but which does not exist in our world is cobha. Examples from The Lord of the Rings include races such as hobbits, elves, and dwarves; weapons like the sword Sting; the One Ring; the wizards; Sauron, etc.

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aaah now I understand it better! Thank you so much everyone for explaining! :D

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:39 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Riding (or writing) against the foes of the free peoples of Middle Earth!
I totally didn't get it either when I first read it.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, (in Sherlock Holmes)

Current projects:
Heroes and Demons series:
Lost Son: 3,782 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=1844
Red Son: 1,726 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=3008
Prodigal Son: Developing Stage
Grateful Son: Developing Stage
The Setting Sons: Developing Stage
All titles are tentative

Tobias the Swift: Developing Stage

Wings from above: Developing Stage

Yeah, most of my books are in the development stage, but I have a lot of ideas! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:38 pm 
Writer
Writer

So basicly, an otherworld is the inverse of a familierworld. And cobha is like a skill or talent in one world that would be supernatural in the other?? Like a dragon that can breath fire, or elves that can hear really well, ect. Is that correct? :?

There is a story enfolded in the depthes of my heart, its roots firmly anchored in the deepest part of my soul. It is locked with forgotten hopes, and guarded by painful memories. Though every step I take is hindered by thorns, I will prevail. Once the key I have in my hands and I have unleashed this tale, when all fear and worry has passed, then I will present it to you. That is when you must decide whether it's worthy to be called epic.

My blog.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Adira Cyrial wrote:
So basicly, an otherworld is the inverse of a familierworld. And cobha is like a skill or talent in one world that would be supernatural in the other?? Like a dragon that can breath fire, or elves that can hear really well, ect. Is that correct? :?

Yep!

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:36 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That was impressive, Adira.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:58 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Let me know if I got this right. From what I've read, Cobha is a term created to describe the fantastic/magical elements presented as reality within a fictional world. So if I had a fictional world that had dwarves and magic but within my world I called those elements, let's say, "Sarsha," it would be the same as calling it Cobha?

Quote:
In another sort of fiction (fantasy), events that are physically impossible, and are as carefully written by the author as the rest of the story, are included so that the reader may experience things that are physically impossible.

What is confusing me is that I'm interpreting the meaning of Cobha as another way of saying "suspension of disbelief."

Using LoTR as example, the reader knows the world this story takes place in is fictitious, as are the races, characters, and magic. However, because these fantastic elements are presented as reality/normality within this fantasy world and the writing is able to capture the imagination, the reader is willing to suspend their disbelief and are able to accept a world of magic, hobbits, and a ring with great power.

Another example would be Superman. It is impossible for a man to fly, have laser eyes, and be invincible, but the story is presented in a way that allows us to suspend out disbelief of those facts. Superman is also a great example of when the suspension of disbelief is broken. People have no problem believing his powers but can't accept that he is able to disguise himself by wearing glasses.

Please correct me if I'm completely off target. I tend to do that a lot. :rofl:

“It’s not misspelled, it’s Holy Worlds spelled.” - Lady Nicole Mimetes

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Suspension of disbelief is similar, but not quite the same.

Cobha is something that would be supernatural in our world, but isn't in the otherworld. If something happens that is supernatural there, then that wouldn't be cobha.

Does that help?

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:43 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

This is what I'm gathering.
Example of Cobha: Tolkien's Dwarves are all very good smiths. In Middle-Earth (the Otherworld) this is a perfectly normal trait.
Example of Magic as compared to Cobha: Say one of the aforementioned Dwarves learned to fly. This is not a normal trait for Dwarves in Middle-Earth. This is not a Cobha, it is the Dwarf using some sort of 'magic'.
Note: I'm not sure how he learned to fly. It's a rather vague example.

In that case, ideas such as God giving out exceptional talents to people would fall under a cobha. i.e. One person has great musical talent. The next person can start fires just by thinking: I need a fire.
If that is seen as a normal trait in the Otherworld, it is a cobha. All we've done is diversified the talents that people can have.

However, if starting a fire with your mind is not a normal talent that is spread amongst people, then it is a magic. Whether you were born with this ability, or you have gained it from some source either evil or good, it cannot be a cobha because it still isn't normal.

Am I working along the right lines, here? Tsahraf? Emeth?

I'm thinking we need to break these ideas down into categories. *goes to work on that*

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
-The Return of the King

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:17 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Gotcha.

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
-The Return of the King

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:37 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That is a very good explanation, Inesdar, thanks.

To put it in a list (though lists are rather uncomfortable):

Miracles: The power of God and his Angels

Electrical system (this may or may not be put in natural law): The limited and little known powers of the human spirit

Natural law: What is allowed by the course of nature which God set and sustains in motion

Sorcery: The power of fallen angels (certainly far more limited than miracles, and probably far less limited than the electrical system)

Cobha: Those abilities (whether of plants, animals, or creatures that bear the Image of God) which are not known to be allowed by natural law in the Familiarworld, but are allowed by the imagination in fiction.

(As a note, the word Familiarworld was coined by me to mean "real life," rather than an imaginary version of "earth," for instance, the England of the Chronicles of Narnia, or an Otherworld, such as Narnia.)

Something interesting:
"Theurgy,
The art of doing things which it is the peculiar province of God to do; or the power or act of performing supernatural things by invoking the names of God or of subordinate agents; magic. This has been divided by some writers into three parts; theurgy, or the operation by divine or celestial means; natural magic, performed by the powers of nature; and necromancy, which proceeds by invoking demons."-Websters 1828 Dictionary

I found this word and definition after I had developed the list arrangement I showed you.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
I Corinthians 11:1

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

My Book on Amazon.

Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld.

One of my posts: Introducing You to Iniel (third update)

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm 
Writer
Writer

Tsahraf wrote:
Electrical system (this may or may not be put in natural law): The limited and little known powers of the human spirit

What is the Electrical System? Are you talking about the Familiarworld here? If so, could you explain what this means? Is this our spirit/soul supposedly influencing our body when we make a moral decision? :book:

It is but the beginning of something greater.

Recipient of the "cute'n'cuddly" and "IT'S SO STICKY I'M GONNA FAINT" awards from the 2011 New Year's Eve Chat Extravaganza.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Yup, the Familiarworld, just a part of it that has not been very familiar to our culture. It probably has to do with the connection between our spirit and body. This category is rather vague, possibly including any of the following: second sight, telepathy, EFT, shared dreams, kinesiology (I think). But it does not really have anything to do with cobha, unless to know what is really possible in the Familiarworld, and therefore not neccessarily cobha in a story.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
I Corinthians 11:1

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

My Book on Amazon.

Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld.

One of my posts: Introducing You to Iniel (third update)

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:34 pm 
Writer
Writer

Ah, ok. So, would stuff like spiritual discernment and prophecy fall under that? I'm not used to the categories you mentioned there. But I see what you mean about it being uncertain whether or not to put this under natural law.

It is but the beginning of something greater.

Recipient of the "cute'n'cuddly" and "IT'S SO STICKY I'M GONNA FAINT" awards from the 2011 New Year's Eve Chat Extravaganza.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next