Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: God-given "magic"?: needs a limit so she isn't all powerful
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:12 am 
Editor
Editor

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Ello, all! I have a magic-ish related question.

Ok: my female MC is a prophetess. However, she also had other God-given powers, but if her energy source is God, then her power never dimishes and she is unbeatable. In the course of the story, that isn't feasible, so...I need help!

Her powers include pyrokinesis, healing (others, not herself), wind control, can spread disease and plague with a word, and...some other things that I can't think of with Tim Hawkins in the background...

Any ideas? Helps? Thoughts?

How can I make her possible to be beaten in combat?

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: God-given "magic"?: needs a limit so she isn't all power
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:45 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Well, there are two ways I have thought of to do this:

The way I usually do this is to set up Cobhaic powers in such a fashion that they're granted by God, but God is NOT the power source. There is a power source (naturally occurring in the world, usually somehow linked to 'powering Creation') which the characters draw on to perform their 'magical' feats. They're limited by their innate strength (how much they can handle), countermeasures (ways of preventing access to the power sources), and perhaps finity (how much is available) [is that even a word? XD].

The second way you can do this is to keep God as the power source, but to limit what He permits the character to use, in addition to having the use thereof be dependent on His will. I think, however, this doesn't work very well (for Cobhaic powers, though prophetic related powers could work well under this system); because I view Cobhaic powers as gifts like any others, to be used or misused according to free will.

Hope that helps! :)

I have a website now. Websites are cool. http://joelaparisi.com/
(Don't forget to subscribe to mah blog!)
I have a website for my series. Which is also cool. http://shraid.net

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:00 am 
Editor
Editor

Are you a published author?: Yes
*ponders deeply and is happy someone posted before the start of NaNo* Thanks, Jakorosin! I like that...I'll mull it over and let you know what I decide! :D

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:30 pm 

Jakorosin Darksbane wrote:
Well, there are two ways I have thought of to do this:

I've used both of these in my work.

The way I usually do this is to set up Cobhaic powers in such a fashion that they're granted by God, but God is NOT the power source. There is a power source (naturally occurring in the world, usually somehow linked to 'powering Creation') which the characters draw on to perform their 'magical' feats. They're limited by their innate strength (how much they can handle), countermeasures (ways of preventing access to the power sources), and perhaps finity (how much is available) [is that even a word? XD].

As far as I know, yes, that's a word, though I'm not sure it means what you think it does. :)

In my Shine Cycle, the Vaynar, who are sort of like angels, were granted vast powers to use to shape the world in the first very few years after its ex nihilo creation to make it particularly fit for mortal habitation. And while the scope of this power dwindled over the following decades and centuries, it regenerated to some degree (less, fortunately, in the ones that fell). And there are various creatures (dragons, fairies, etc.) that naturally have their own powers. And any of these can lend his, her, or its power to a mortal mage (one with the aptitude to use "the other kind")---but for a mage to use power from such a source is nearly always forbidden.

The second way you can do this is to keep God as the power source, but to limit what He permits the character to use, in addition to having the use thereof be dependent on His will. I think, however, this doesn't work very well (for Cobhaic powers, though prophetic related powers could work well under this system); because I view Cobhaic powers as gifts like any others, to be used or misused according to free will.

In my Shine Cycle, the one form of "applied metaphysics" that is permitted by the divine Law is the use of power that God gives. Mages find that the amount of power that they can handle at any given time is more or less in proportion to how closely they're "walking with God." In one place in one main character's backstory, she feels the Holy Spirit telling her that she was supposed to do something, and turns off her inner ear so she doesn't hear that voice any longer, and can't do the simplest working for months.

In response to the original question, however:

Lady Abigail Mimetes wrote:
but if her energy source is God, then her power never dimishes and she is unbeatable

If we look at the Bible, there are several stories where power of one sort or another came from God and yet was taken away: Samson after he broke every one of the conditions laid on his life, Joshua's army when Achan sinned, Peter walking on the water ...

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:21 pm 
Writer
Writer

I understand what is read here.....however, I read in the podcast sometime ago that a balance needs to be in there otherwise too much miraculous and/or magical powers in a store can bore a reader and not make the story interesting anytime there is an issue or a problem that comes up. :)

The Chronicles Of Meridia - Deliverance (77,701 words) now in artistic phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:08 pm 

Lady Heather wrote:
I understand what is read here.....however, I read in the podcast sometime ago that a balance needs to be in there otherwise too much miraculous and/or magical powers in a store can bore a reader and not make the story interesting anytime there is an issue or a problem that comes up. :)

Usually, what keeps a reader interested in a story is the characters. Dramatic tension comes (to simplify significantly!) from the understanding that the protagonist must do something, but seemingly cannot. But used clumsily, magical or miraculous powers can make "the character can't do such-and-such" a lie: he has magic, so of course he can!

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]