Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hearth Magic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:16 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
So I had a bit of an idea and I'm looking to expand it for use in my world, so opinions would be great.

It's a cobha specifically related to the home and family, and everyone can feel it, but only women can manipulate it.
Part of it would be protection, not like a physical shield, but more a protection over the mind and the heart, to protect from the Enemy's attacks to morale and emotion. You couldn't give that to just anyone, only people who are emotionally close to you -husband, children, nieces and nephews, siblings, people like that. Also, they would have an ability to make people feel welcome or comfortable in their home and among their family. Those are the basics and I'm quite set on them.
I'm thinking that it might extend to things like lullabies and easing pain. I don't want them to be able to heal, because I want that to be a different talent. It's more like... you know when you were little and you scraped your knee and it was just a little cut? My mum would clean it and put on a band-aid, then she'd kiss it because that made it feel better. It's like that except instead of it being that imaginary relief, they can actually take away most pains. Not necessarily with a kiss -I'm not sure of the exact operation.
I don't want it to be word-based, but action and willpower based. The only power in words I want to be in lullabies.

So, there you go. That's what I have, so far. Opinions? Helpful idea-inspiring questions?

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
-The Return of the King

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Hearth Magic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:50 am 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Male
I think it's really interesting. Definitely adds a magic touch, but in a different way than most fantasy settings with with overblown powers that don't seem to do little things. Very unique.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:55 am 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
That's a good idea, Aldara. :D

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:04 am 
Writer
Writer

So instead of healing, your users of Hearth Magic (like that name, btw :)) would essentially be able to dull pain? Could be potentially very useful in surgery. (I know, only immediate family members; but still....)

I understand the 'feeling welcome' part, but it doesn't really seem to have a practical purpose. I think it could use a bit more development.... for instance, would the visitor's natural fears be reduced? Could the influence of the Hearth Magic also hold at bay any tormentors from the Enemy they may be burdened with?

I have a website now. Websites are cool. http://joelaparisi.com/
(Don't forget to subscribe to mah blog!)
I have a website for my series. Which is also cool. http://shraid.net

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Thank you!
And, Jakorosin, that's exactly what I'm looking for -a way to develop that. I like both those ideas -especially the part about holding the Enemy at bay. I think that when they entered somewhere that the magic was at work, negative influences like defeat and worry would be dimmed because love is the overwhelming sentiment.
*is delighted with developing a new idea*

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
-The Return of the King

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:15 pm 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
Jakorosin Darksbane wrote:
I understand the 'feeling welcome' part, but it doesn't really seem to have a practical purpose.
Although adding to the things this magic can do doesn't seem like a bad idea, I'd differ about whether it's practical or not in its simple form of creating a welcoming and peaceful atmosphere. No soldier is at his best without the refuge of a peaceful and home-like home to retreat to at times. Strength and wisdom is always increased by happiness and rest. I think that even if hearth magic was just the ability to make a home more peaceful, more welcoming, and more happy, it would be very practical indeed. :) For instance, and this is different from Aldara's idea, but similar in way: in 'Luna Veil' some of the characters become 'gods', and one of the women is described as being like twilight, and as giving rest to everyone who was with her. This was a very powerful attribute, and not just in low key situations – it was most valuable in the battle climax. ;)

Similarly, I think the bits I like best about the hearth magic idea are the parts where it is simplest – the lullaby bit, and the feeling of the home, and the goodness it gives to the people.

On other aspects, however, I would say that perhaps something along the lines of the Scotch sort of 'second sight' could be interesting? Perhaps in a different form, but along that idea, maybe. :) The instance that brought it to mind as being the sort of thing that might work as a kind of hearth magic was a bit of MacDonald's story 'The Portent'. I'll quote some bits... but you can read the entire piece about it here, in the chapter named Margaret. The young man named Duncan needs to know where a woman he loves, named Alice, is, and Margaret is either Duncan's Godmother or old nurse... I can't remember.

"Kiss me, my bairn; I need strength for what I am going to do for your sake."
I kissed her.
"There now!" she said, "I am ready. Good-bye. Whatever happens, do not speak to me; and let no one come near me but yourself. It will be wearisome for you, but it is for your sake, my Duncan. And don't let the fire out. Don't leave me."
I assured her I would attend to all she said. She closed her eyes, and lay still.
Margaret lay as still as death. But having been accustomed to similar conditions in my Alice, I believed I saw signs of returning animation, and withdrew to my seat. Nor was I mistaken; for, in a few minutes more, she murmured my name. I hastened to her.
Janet left the room directly, and Margaret motioned me to a chair by her side. I sat down. She took my hand, and said,
"Duncan, my boy, I fear I can give you but little help; but I will tell you all I know. If I were to try to put into words the things I had to encounter before I could come near her, you would not understand what I meant. Nor do I understand the things myself. They seem quite plain to me at the time, but very cloudy when I come back. But I did succeed in getting one glimpse of her. She was fast asleep. She seemed to have suffered much, for her face was very thin, and as patient as it was pale."
"But where was she?"
"I must leave you to find out that, if you can, from my description. But, alas! it is only the places immediately about the persons that I can see. Where they are, or how far I have gone to get there, I cannot tell."

Maybe that could give you some inspiration?

I really like your idea of hearth magic. It's so endearing and interesting at once. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:34 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I'm glad you like it, Juliet!
Hmm, second sight... interesting possibility. Maybe they can only see people for whom they've created protections already? I like it.
I was also thinking of what could be done with it when it's being used for evil, and I was thinking that it could twist people's minds, make them feel drawn to stay in captivity. It could also set itself at war with the good protections in someone's mind and possibly conquer them and keep out positive emotion instead of negative -because what it does is dependent on the person creating the shield.

-The Return of the King

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]