Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: "Magic"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:25 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Riding (or writing) against the foes of the free peoples of Middle Earth!
Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Melody Kondrael wrote:
Griffin wrote:
Really, everything is under God, so God would have created and controlled it. Good point.

So therefore that fact ought to be pointed out in the book lest the reader think that God has nothing to do with it. Yes?

Yes.

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, (in Sherlock Holmes)

Current projects:
Heroes and Demons series:
Lost Son: 3,782 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=1844
Red Son: 1,726 words http://www.holyworlds.org/forum/viewtop ... 117&t=3008
Prodigal Son: Developing Stage
Grateful Son: Developing Stage
The Setting Sons: Developing Stage
All titles are tentative

Tobias the Swift: Developing Stage

Wings from above: Developing Stage

Yeah, most of my books are in the development stage, but I have a lot of ideas! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:24 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Griffin wrote:
Good point.
I don't think that the Force is meant to be really mystical. It is kinda the cobha of the Star Wars universe.
If you read any of the extended universe Star Wars books, you see a lot more mysticism creeping into the whole Jedi-Force relationship. That's one of the reasons I've kinda gotten out of reading the books.

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: The Running Rivers, Tall Forests, and Mighty Mountains of the Northwest
Seer wrote:
Griffin wrote:
Good point.
I don't think that the Force is meant to be really mystical. It is kinda the cobha of the Star Wars universe.
If you read any of the extended universe Star Wars books, you see a lot more mysticism creeping into the whole Jedi-Force relationship. That's one of the reasons I've kinda gotten out of reading the books.

Including events (if I remember correctly) where characters "becoming one with the Force", meaning that rather than simply using the Force the actually allow the Force to enter and use them. It is also good to note that the good and evil within the Force must be balanced, which would indicate that evil is valuable in some way. So it's not bad, necessarily.

So, following Jay's question, we could say this is an example of cobha gone wrong. It's not always a good thing. (Although it certainly avoids many problems.)

I'm starting to suspect that the Cobha section of my series might be a two parter. Or three. Oh dear.

Redemption is to be purchased, to have a price paid. So I was redeemed from my master sin, and from justice, which demanded my death. For He paid the price of sin by becoming sin, and met the demands of justice by dying for us.

For all men have a master. But a man cannot have two masters. For he will love one and hate the other. You cannot serve God and sin. So I die to the old, as He died, and I am resurrected to the new, as He was resurrected.

Note: Ebed is Hebrew for bondsman, Eleutheros is Greek for unrestrained (not a slave).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Neil of Erk wrote:
So, following Jay's question, we could say this is an example of cobha gone wrong. It's not always a good thing. (Although it certainly avoids many problems.)
Other natural aspects of our world aren't necessarily good things even though God is their source. Some people sing beautifully about things that DO NOT honor God. Some people (Hitler, serial killers) use their extraordinary intelligence to devise EVIL plans. People have even found ways to use the very atoms that God built the world with as a means to cause horrible destruction. In a fallen world nothing "natural" is inherently innocent just because God is it's source. In Mythica people can use the "supernatural" abilities granted them by God for good or evil dependent upon the person, even though GOD was the one that gave them those abilities. That whole "free will" thing.

And as for "Cobha gone wrong," a non-believing secular author writing for secular audiences would feel no obligation to use Cobha correctly.

Neil of Erk wrote:
I'm starting to suspect that the Cobha section of my series might be a two parter. Or three. Oh dear.
YAY!!! Won't that be fun for you to write ;)

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
Well, to me there a difference between "magic" (something made up for your stories) and the witchcraft/sorcery/magic which is real and is in our world.

And people say that you shouldn't have it because the Bible says so, but it also says not to kill people, and I don't see people having a problem with that in a book. To me the "fantasy" there is not real, it's a story. That is how I see it anyway.
(though in the fantasy I'm writing there is no magic, but there is alchemy, and the alchemists use their power to fool people into thinking they're magicians.)

~Joe~

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5