Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aether
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:02 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
So this is probably the first post about my main writing universe that I've ever done on Holy Worlds. Most have been on my Fantasy/RPG universe, Skalahseh. So if you know me from anything, it would be that.

First off, the Aetheriavurse—as I like to call it—is a bit less, um... preachy than Skalahseh. I mean, religion is still a big part of the world, but it’s far from the main focus and is more of a background element, affecting the motivations of some of my more pious characters. I try not to explicitly say yes or no when it comes to the existence of God in the Aetheriavurse, wanting readers to make up their own minds, as opposed to Skalahseh, where if you as a reader are still not convinced Yah exists in Skalahseh by the end of one book, you might be a bit slow.

Anyways, on to the main post: Aether. Aether in the Aetheriavurse is a psycho-reactive pseudo-energy form. In short, magic. Well, at least in the definition of more popular modern fantasy. Unlike magic as forbidden in the Bible. It is important to note that in the Aetheriavurse, calling Aether “Magic” might get your ear bitten off, as Weavers tend to associate the term magic with entertainers and charlatans.

"DO I LOOK LIKE I'M PULLING A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT?"
-Joey Smith.

In the Aetheriavurse everyone uses Aether subconsciously to live, like breathing air (yes, you can die of Aether deprivation), but only Weavers, Primals, and Enhancers can actively manipulate Aether.

Weavers- Your standard fair "Wizard". Weavers can use Aether on a varied consciousness level, weaving it into mental constructions that resemble and behave like the real thing. Though it is important to note Aetheric Fire is not "Real Fire" and can have odd and downright strange properties. However, a Weaver must be born a Weaver.

Enhancers- Technically everyone is an Enhancer, it’s just that some people happen to have an a uniquely large amount of Aether or “Chi” in their bodies, resulting in increased physical abilities and often a very small number of strange abilities. While you can be born an Enhancer, anyone can learn to become one, though this is significantly easier for someone who is already a Weaver.

Primals- Like Weavers, Primals can create mental constructions. However, a Primal’s abilities are, well, more primal: Fueled by instinct and emotion rather than intellect and imagination. Furthermore, a Primal’s power tends to be a lot more specialized. For instance, a Primal who is attuned to fire can only conjure and master fire. However, just because someone is a Primal does not mean they cannot also be a Weaver. It’s just that their primal abilities will remain specialized. Furthermore, almost all Primals are also inherently Enhancers. Like Weavers, most people have to be born Primals, but a non-Primal can become one by forming an Aethric Bond with a existing Primal.

Aetheric Bond- An Aetheric Bond is a natural phenomenon that occurs when two people’s Aetheric wavelength is so similar that it intermingles, forever binding their lives together. This does not occur with any consent from either participant; it just happens without warning when they first touch one another. There is almost no way to predict when this might occur. With the fact that two people linked in this way will grow physically ill when separated, and can even die if the other half of the bond dies, you can see why handshaking is not the preferred method of greeting people for the enlightened. Aetheric Bonds rarely if ever have any romantic connotations, and those affected tend to more resemble siblings or BFF's than anything else. Some twins are born this way.

A unquestioned faith is like a unsharpened sword, keep your sword sharp.

In times of hardship. A rational faith shall outlast a blind adherence.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Aether
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:27 pm 
Captain
Captain

Hmm. Fascinating. I see some parallels with the Force in Star Wars, with how everyone uses it to live and uses it in some way or another, but not everyone can truly use it. Then you take it in a completely different direction, which definitely helps make it unique, since elementalist abilities and illusions aren't very common in Star Wars.

What type of strange properties can aetheric have? Is it controllable? Or completely random?

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:07 am 
Writer
Writer

For Weavers- Aether is shaped in part by perception so if your where a Weaver your perception of the thing your are conjuring, in this case lets say fire shapes the construct, so if you think of fire as bright and warm, but don't consider fires ability to burn, you can make a flame that does not burn. I'f you think of fire as being able to burn but don't consider what it can and cannot burn it may be able to burn something it naturally would not like water. The more you know about the thing you are trying to conjure the more like the actual thing the construct will be. Though a vary talented weaver can purposefully create unique rule bending constructs like Fire that Freezes instead of burns. Or water that melts solids. While it is necessary to have some level of actual scientific knowledge to create reliable Aethiric constructs. In some ways Weaving is similar to using Green Lanterns Power Rings, with the added need for actually understanding some of the base mechanics of what you are making.

For Primals- Primals are different however a Primals abilities are based in instinct, making the special properties of their constructs more a result of their persona than their knowledge of the subject. So a Primal may be able to say conjure fire, but they are as pure and kind hearted as anyone could possibly be, so any fire they summon also shares traits with True Light (A Symbolic Aetheric Construct that attempts to replicate goodness And according to many Aetherian theologians is the result of Aether being exposed to the holy spirit [Aether will naturally try to copy anything it comes in contact with]) Making said fires glow have restorative properties as well as the ability to repel and destroy the undead. But while most all primal's have such traits they are not realy controllable beyond learning a fair number of enhancer techniques.

For Enhancers- Normal an enhancer cannot even create constructs only alter internal Aetheric energy or chi, however with intense training (Or sometimes through natural instinct) Enhancers can augment their Chi with unique properties. One of the Most common of those techniques is augmenting Chi with true light to repel undead a natural ability most people posses naturally, though requiring a source of faith to pull from (In short does not work for atheists and agnostics.) While other emotions sense of justice, Hope, and Love can yield true light as well (True Love particularly creates a rather intense glow and can lift most any Aetheric enchantment of malicious intent)

If you need me to explain some terms just ask.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:45 pm 
Writer
Writer

Likee likee likeee!! :D

Much thought into this has been put, which I like. ;) And yes, I'm talking all backwards for the odd reason that I feel like being unique today. Or annoying, whichever you prefer.

Anyway, I really like this system. If you could, tell me if I'm right on the differences here: Enhancers (generally) can only alter internal aether, and cannot create any external constructs of any substance, Primals can only create those constructs that are for whatever reason the natural outflow of their persona (and are in addition always enhancers), and Weavers are those who have the most power of whatever external construct they are making.

When you say 'mental construct' my first thought is that whatever is happening is only occurring inside the person's head, or inside the affected persons' heads, rather than an external expression of the aether. That is incorrect, right? It IS an external thing, but is mentally controlled by the Weaver/Primal (except in the case of an Enhancer, who can only create internal constructs).
Also, just so you know, some of the basic grammar/punctuation was a bit hard to get through... :?

ALSO, I thought I'd let you know that in Thor: The Dark World, the evil thingy-thing that destroys stuff is also called the Aether. I know this is completely different, but thought I'd let you know if you weren't aware already.

Again, awesome system that I want to see more of!

Areth,

Ka

http://www.thevoiceofka.weebly.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:49 am 
Writer
Writer

It looks like you have the basic idea. Sorry about the bad grammar.

Also I find it important to point out that in Thor: The Dark World the substance is called Ether.

Not that it really matters as both Ether and Aether are names for a nonexistent substance which early philosophers and scientists believed, filled space, or gave form to the heavens or ect.

In the "Aetheriavurse" their are two material universes, our universe often called Terra which only has a enough natural aether to support life. and another called Aetheria, a universe made up entirely of aether with vary little true matter.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]