Login | Register

Post subject: Money
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
What money system do you use?

Barter: the most basic form of exchange- I give you something that you want if you give me something I want. Goods and services are exchanged for goods and services of similar value. A good bargainer tries to give something easily obtained or made for things much more difficult to produce.

Medium of Exchange: a specific commodity or resource begins to serve as a medium of exchange and the value of goods and services are calculated according to that resource. So the value of all materials in an economy might be calculated based on bushels of grain, strings of beads, ounces of salt, silver, or mystical psycrystals.

Coinage: The government begins to get involved with this one. The government regulates the medium of exchange by making coins with fixed weights and official images stamped on them. Gold is ideal for this purpose because of how soft it is, making it easy to stamp in official seals or images of Caesar's face. Coinage can become the victim of the economic force of inflation, where the government tries to increase the amount of coins in circulation by diluting the purity of the metal in the coins.

Paper: The government issues special paper money that has (or should have) its value backed up by gold in a kingdom's vaults or grain in the kingdom's granaries. These evolve, like coins, into special, government-printed bills. Eventually, the bills may not even reflect the value of the standard on which they were originally based, but have their value determined by money markets of competing currencies.

Credit: No actual coinage or paper needs to be exchanged in this system, only information that money has changed hands. The appropriate amounts are transferred between financial institutions and the only thing that's actually changed is the numbers in the accountants' spreadsheets.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Money
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
I am not that far into planning my world...but it may be money/credit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:42 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That is a popular choice. It's one of the systems used in Star Wars.

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:07 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I use medium of exchange and coinage, depending on how well-organized the nation is. :D Generally barter isn't used except on a personal level, perhaps.

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I think barter would be fun to write about. :D

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:58 pm 
Captain
Captain

I agree, Airi! I think it would work well in an occasional village, though rather than the main money system. I'd be using coinage, personally, and barter sometimes as well.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:08 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I agree. :D

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't barter usually have some sort of medium of exchange that's at least used as a semi-standard? :?

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:56 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Not necessarily. Bartering uses whatever is available. Money is always welcome, but often not available to the barterer. So some will barter services, others livestock, or whatever is readily available. Children have also been sold into slavery in a barter system before because they happened to be handy and at market.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm 
Captain
Captain

This thread is very similar to the one Whackem posted here. Do you think it is different enough to leave, or should I merge them?

BushMaid -- Bush, Bushy, Aussie.
Handlettering, Graphic & Logo Design
Click here to get in touch with me so I can design you awesome things!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Um... Someone else can make that decision. I chose to create this as a separate thread so that people had a reference to the money systems. However, if someone feels they should be merged, I won't grouse.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 pm 
Captain
Captain

I've no problem with leaving it, but I thought I should mention it just in case. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

* grabs mod hat * I figured they were different enough to leave them apart. But maybe we should ask the ML of this place, whoever that is... * takes mod hat off and tosses it into a corner for future use *

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:13 pm 
Captain
Captain

*steals Amanda's mod hat from the corner and runs crazy around the room wearing the hat at wrackish angle, grinning mischievously* Ahem... *puts hat back meekly* :blush: Sorry couldn't resist. Do continue...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:18 am 

eruheran wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't barter usually have some sort of medium of exchange that's at least used as a semi-standard? :?

And sometimes the least unit of money (or whatever your standard-medium-of-exchange is) is too large for the transactions you want to do. I read a story once in which the suggested method of shopping in a marketplace was to buy a basket of apples for a penny (or the equivalent in that system) and then go around to the vendors you really want to buy from and trade them an apple or two or three for what you want.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:46 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Ooh, now that is fascinating info to tuck into my mind! Thanks, Kingjon!

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:22 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

BushMaid wrote:
*steals Amanda's mod hat from the corner and runs crazy around the room wearing the hat at wrackish angle, grinning mischievously* Ahem... *puts hat back meekly* :blush: Sorry couldn't resist. Do continue...

:rofl: That looks good on you, Busheh. ;) But I'm afraid some of the MLs or Council Members might not be happy if I let you wear it. *takes hat and tucks it safely away in the mod control panel * :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:32 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I'm fine with it, but.... ;)

That is a good point, kingjon.

Kait, what I was meaning to say is that even barter will eventually have some sort of standard to it. You'll know that you can trade me three bolts of cloth for the horseshoes that your horse has been needing - that's the going rate. Would that be barter or medium of exchange?

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:53 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Oh no, true barter has no system. Using the bolt example, the horse shoer doesn't take three bolts for his horse shoes from everyone. See, then he'd have an over abundance of bolts. He says "you give me x,y,z for this" or the buyer says "I have x,y,z, that I'm willing to trade, how many do you want?"

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:39 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Yes, but say that every fall you have three bolts of cloth that you've just spun from your sheep. It's about time that you be replacing your horse's shoes and so you have an agreement that when you need your horse shod, I will take 3 bolts of cloth, because winter's coming and I need clothes to put on my little ones. :D And the tailor knows that right about fall is when the blacksmith gets three bolts of cloth so every fall he will make clothes out of three bolts of cloth in exchange for... something he needs done.

I didn't mean a standard across the board - that would turn the blacksmith into a cloth dealer! :D But usually you do end up with a set price for a specific person. (because it's likely that each person won't need you very often and you won't need what they specifically trade all that often either)

eru

Offline Profile