Login | Register

Post subject: Re: Wedding Ceremonies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Great premise, Jess! I love it, and in the context it makes perfect sense.

As for me, I haven't given much consideration to the subject. Thankfully, I didn't have any marriages for this series, so I'm off the hook. ;) But I'll think on it long and hard for my next series.

~ Psalm 73:25-26

Works in progress

The Skyriders Trilogy (outlining)

What Waits in Shadow (fantasy short story--editing)
The Stranger's Gift (fantasy short story--editing)
The Crystal Orb (fantasy short story--writing)
And too many half-started ideas to count

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:19 pm 
Captain
Captain

I don't have any either, but it's still an important part of the culture because it helps show and express what the culture values.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
This is very true, Varon.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:39 pm 

Ya'll have some intriguing ideas here!

I was thinking... One of my major forests is inhabited by the Wood People. (Name still undecided. :P I hate calling them that, but they haven't suggested any new ones yet.) Anyways, these people are small, wiry, and basically uneducated savages. :rofl: There are a bunch of rivers and streams running through their territory, so I was wondering if tossing the bride and groom into the water would be a realistic 'ceremony'. Maybe one of the stronger rivers or something, so they have to work together to get out again. What do you think?

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
I thought of things from the husband and wife dumping water on each other's heads to candle dances. I need to think of some more, though.... * is reminded *

Dumping water over each other's heads? o.O :rofl: I think that's my favorite of the ideas I've seen in here. :rofl: I would totally do that at my wedding! *Plots*

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:20 pm 
Writer
Writer

I've been thinking about my world's wedding ceremonies quite a bit, even though it won't play into my story. So far, I have ideas for the merrow (mermaids) and rylle (reptilian humanoids).

Merrow are more interested in platonic love than romantic love, so weddings are not seen as particularly important. The bride and groom exchange necklaces of flowers, dance quickly, and are done.

Rylle, however, are hopeless romantics. A traditional rylle wedding will include the bride getting locked up, perhaps in a tower, and the groom "rescuing" her. Preferably, there will be dramatic music, relatives of the bride challenging the groom to swordfighting matches, relatives of the groom throwing things at the bride, and for the very rich, perhaps a fake volcano, just to add atmosphere. The more elaborate and theatrical it is, the more everyone enjoys it. The parents of the groom give out snacks to the audience. The vows are said, the priest and the parents bless the marriage, and the ceremony concludes as the happy couple rides off into the sunset.

I need to think of ceremonies for the other cultures. All I know is that a lot of them involve arranged marriages, and very few people get as elaborate (insane?) as the rylle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:25 pm 
Writer
Writer

Aletheia wrote:

Rylle, however, are hopeless romantics. A traditional rylle wedding will include the bride getting locked up, perhaps in a tower, and the groom "rescuing" her. Preferably, there will be dramatic music, relatives of the bride challenging the groom to swordfighting matches, relatives of the groom throwing things at the bride, and for the very rich, perhaps a fake volcano, just to add atmosphere. The more elaborate and theatrical it is, the more everyone enjoys it. The parents of the groom give out snacks to the audience. The vows are said, the priest and the parents bless the marriage, and the ceremony concludes as the happy couple rides off into the sunset.

:rofl: This. Is. Awesome. :dieshappy:

Works in Progress:
The Capstone - 97,000 Words (Fourth Draft), In Planning Phase
Currently Unnamed - In Plotting Phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:06 am 
Captain
Captain

Aratrea wrote:
Aletheia wrote:

:rofl: This. Is. Awesome. :dieshappy:

Quite. :cool:

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Aletheia wrote:

That sounds like a bit of an expensive process. Do the poorer Rylle throw less elaborate weddings, or do they simply wait until they've saved enough to do it properly?
It also sounds like it takes quite a bit of time, in medieval agrarian situations, an entire day away from work would be a big deal, so how do they schedule them? Do they maybe wait and have several weddings on the same day?

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I recently wrote the wedding ceremony in my book, and was so happy with how it turned out. :D

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:02 pm 
Writer
Writer

Mimetes the Seer wrote:
That sounds like a bit of an expensive process. Do the poorer Rylle throw less elaborate weddings, or do they simply wait until they've saved enough to do it properly?
It also sounds like it takes quite a bit of time, in medieval agrarian situations, an entire day away from work would be a big deal, so how do they schedule them? Do they maybe wait and have several weddings on the same day?

Those are really good questions which had not crossed my mind. There are no weddings in my current story, and my characters' Rylle acquaintances are wealthy lords and ladies. Poorer Rylle live further south, and do perform less elaborate ceremonies, although the idea of the adventure and the play is still there. The wedding itself does not take all day, but planning and preparations will take a long time. Most people schedule the ceremony to take place on a holy day, when there's more free time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:12 am 
Writer
Writer

I've only really developed marriage customs in my country Lukok, though I know that in Thomorai marriage partners traditionally pierce their ears. (So you could imagine how alarmed Thomoraiis would be to see young girls with pierced ears, or, even worse, multiple piercings!) Marriage ceremonies in Lukok are kind of...bloody. :/ The mother of the bride and father of the groom preside over the ceremony. First, the bride gives the groom a dagger and says "I give you all power of life and death over me," or in Lukokish, "Nïvet krödï, ekeşusönï ëäns nïenet kîesdï nïemönet kîesdï meve dikçë enêru." The groom responds, "I accept your gift of love in love," or "Enêleruemït jäenes kîesej meve dirê enêru kones kekeok." Then he gives the dagger to his father, who says, "People of Lukok and God of that which is known and that which is unknown, witness this gift," or "Meoï Lükok kîesëz, Keşun jäveleş kîesëz jänuveleş kîesëz, di veş veşre ärv enêleru." He then kills a small animal called a cashewt using this dagger, to seal the promise. Then the groom gives the bride another dagger with the same words, and she gives the same response, and gives it to her mother, who says the same words as the groom's father and kills another cashewt.

Finally the two parents join the couple's hands together and put blood from the two cashewts on them, and then another person brings a bowl of water and the couple washes each other's hands in it. After this the couple are considered married, and they usually have a celebration that's a bit more cheerful. When the bride and groom finally reach their house after all the celebrations, they splash the bowl of water they washed their hands in over the doorstep, saying, "People of Lukok and God of that which is known and that which is unknown, remember these gifts." Unfortunately, I never translated that line into Lukokish and my dictionary is in another country, but it would sound pretty much the same as what the parents say.

The idea there is that the couple is letting their parents, in arranging the marriage, kill a part of themselves (the cashewts) - their independence, their freedom, their right to their own life. But then the husband and wife will help and support each other, and so ease the weight of the power they have over each other (the handwashing). It's actually rather Christian now that I think about it; it sounds a bit like salvation.

Wedding ceremonies are fun because you can have a mixture of awesome symbolism, random customs and superstitions, and just fun ways to celebrate. :) I'd love to hear about anyone else's! And, like everybody else, I love the Rylle ceremony. :) I have heard about real-world cultures that stage a bride kidnapping for a wedding ceremony...that would also be fun to include!

"For Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:09 pm 
Writer
Writer

Some pretty awesome wedding ceremonies here. I especially like sheesania's. It has so much symbolism, just like a real-world wedding has, and yet is so completely different that it's a really great way to recast something so familiar in a way that has a lot of meaning and life.

I haven't (regrettably) developed very different wedding ceremonies. The one I have for Khartur is a mild change from a real-world ceremony. Nothing exciting to talk about there.

But when I'm developing wedding ceremonies, I will definitely come here and put up whatever I thought of. ;)

Areth,

Karthmin

http://www.thevoiceofka.weebly.com

Offline Profile