Login | Register

Post subject: I've been poisoned – will I die?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:39 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
* splits personalities a split second before I fall down dead * Oh...apparently – that poison was fatal. * blinks at dead self * I wasn't expecting that, sorry.

But anyway... * discreetly pushes corpse a little further away with foot * The Point I was trying to make was – some poisons aren't fatal. I just happened to have been unlucky just now. But the normal thing for a character in a novel to do upon being poisoned is, in my experience, to fall over dead. * cocks head * But...poisons can do other things too, and novelists ought to be known for their creative ways of torturing their characters. * evil giggle * (Only slightly less disturbing than an evil laugh, if done correctly.)

Sooo... * grins * What dastardly things can we do other than just being boring and actually killing them?

(* has 'They Die' stuck in her head *)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I've been poisoned – will I die?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:34 pm 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
I have a useful and interesting book called Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons.

There are some things that are (sometimes) necessary in small quantities, but poisonous in larger quantities, or necessary to some people and poisonous to others. Deadly Doses inlues an anecdote (probably fictional, but I don't remember) about an elderly woman whose son was tryng to kill her by subtle, gradual arsenic poisoning, adding a little to her porridge every morning, until he grew frustrated with how heathy she continued to be and just shot her. It turned out that she was one of the few people who need to take a little arsenic (or whatever it was) to remain properly healthy, but she had stopped taking her medication to try to commit suicide.

There are poisons that kill instantly, and poisons that kill gradually. And there are some where the antidote is poisonous: the hero of most of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga (Miles Vorkosigan, the "military genius with bones of glass") has tremendously fragile bones because of the effects on him in the womb of the antidote to a poison used on his mother.

And poisons can have lots of "side effects" in otherwise-nearly-innocuous doses; for example, strictly speaking, alcohol is a poison that causes liver damage, as are other mind-altering drugs.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:07 pm 
Writer
Writer

Wow! An antidote that's poisonous... That holds worlds of possibility.

"you don't know anything..."
How can you know nothing if I formed your mind with my own hand...
"you don't matter..."
How can you not matter when I made the sun and the stars with you in mind...
When you smile the world smiles back,
When you open your mouth the angels stop to listen,
The world was not made for anything greater than you,
You were made for something greater than it...
Why?
Because I love you.

Works in Progress,
Unnamed standalone book
Current Word Count 5,000
(On hold.)
Cloudy with Chance of Pain
(4,234)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:27 pm 

Aleena Mimetes wrote:
Wow! An antidote that's poisonous... That holds worlds of possibility.

In the Vorkosigan series, in the incident I mentioned: It was the mother that was poisoned; the antidote didn't do any harm to her, just to her unborn son. There are any number of medications here and now that pregnant women are advised not to take.

Another interesting twist (that I've used once in a story, and will probably use again) is to have one poison appear to be another poison (or even an innocuous substance) in some of the scans or analyses that are part of an autopsy.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:45 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
* evil giggle * (Only slightly less disturbing than an evil laugh, if done correctly.)
Interesting. I've always thought that an evil giggle would be slightly more disturbing when done properly....

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
Sooo... * grins * What dastardly things can we do other than just being boring and actually killing them?
I like this thought. :cool:

We could debilitate them or cause them severe pain. Hmm... *has thought* What if there was a poison that didn't do any actual damage, but increased the damage other harmful things did (and even caused some normally nonharmful things to become harmful)?

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
Captain
Captain

That is an interesting post, kingjon. Thankyou.... :)

kingjon wrote:
There are poisons that kill instantly, and poisons that kill gradually. And there are some where the antidote is poisonous: the hero of most of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga (Miles Vorkosigan, the "military genius with bones of glass") has tremendously fragile bones because of the effects on him in the womb of the antidote to a poison used on his mother.

And poisons can have lots of "side effects" in otherwise-nearly-innocuous doses; for example, strictly speaking, alcohol is a poison that causes liver damage, as are other mind-altering drugs.

Fragile bones...that is especially interesting. I never thought of that. * taps nose * I like that idea.

Definitely. :D

Ira Mordecai Mimetes wrote:
Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
* evil giggle * (Only slightly less disturbing than an evil laugh, if done correctly.)
Interesting. I've always thought that an evil giggle would be slightly more disturbing when done properly....

* grins * I guess it depends on who you're trying to disturb.

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
I like this thought. :cool:

We could debilitate them or cause them severe pain. Hmm... *has thought* What if there was a poison that didn't do any actual damage, but increased the damage other harmful things did (and even caused some normally nonharmful things to become harmful)?

That's an interesting idea. * thinks *

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:02 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Oh! Oh! Mind-altering poisons! Neurotoxins anyone?

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:11 pm 
Writer
Writer

Perhaps a poison that causes them to lose fine motor control/forget skills would be interesting? Or a poison that causes a main character to go blind or lose hearing? Those are both ideas I have had...

Works in Progress

The Legend of Braim, 72,594 words, published!!!
Across the Southern Sea, 4,167 words, sequel to The Legend

Websites:
Book Website
Theology Website

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:04 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Mimetes the Seer wrote:
Ooooh... temporary schiezophrenia anyone? :D

Main Fantasy Project:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:35 pm 
Captain
Captain

Novadar Mimetes wrote:
Perhaps a poison that causes them to lose fine motor control/forget skills would be interesting?

Yes, I like that idea!

Mimetes the Seer wrote:
Ooooh... temporary schizophrenia anyone? :D

What do you mean by schizophrenia, exactly?

0.0 What if you had a poison that would permanently change someones entire personality?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:55 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
0.0 What if you had a poison that would permanently change someones entire personality?

It would be nearly impossible at best. You might be able to pull of personality change similar to what can happen with things like Alzheimer's or whatever, but other than that, the precision required would be, I think, impossible to achieve, because I'm pretty sure there's no functional difference in the neurons. Now, if you could pinpoint the specific places where personality is, assuming such a thing exists, you might be able to make a virus or something that targets it. I'd be skeptical, though, unless you're using magic in some fashion. Even then, I'd probably think it's a little lame. An interesting thought, though.

Because Holy Worlds really is that awesome: Clicky! (You know you want to!)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:08 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
Mimetes the Seer wrote:

Probably something that isn't what the word means. :roll:

Actually, nothing particular. Just something that would cause temporary personality changes and/or multiple personalitites.

Main Fantasy Project:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:01 pm 
Captain
Captain

Arien Mimetes wrote:
Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:

It would be nearly impossible at best. You might be able to pull of personality change similar to what can happen with things like Alzheimer's or whatever, but other than that, the precision required would be, I think, impossible to achieve, because I'm pretty sure there's no functional difference in the neurons. Now, if you could pinpoint the specific places where personality is, assuming such a thing exists, you might be able to make a virus or something that targets it. I'd be skeptical, though, unless you're using magic in some fashion. Even then, I'd probably think it's a little lame. An interesting thought, though.

* taps lip * Now, I'm not sure about the impossibility of it. I have heard of people with whom an illness changed their personality, or an injury. Personality, I think, is partly based on experience and outside influences, and partly on something quite definite in an actual physiological way.

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
Mimetes the Seer wrote:

Actually, nothing particular. Just something that would cause temporary personality changes and/or multiple personalitites.

* nods * That's what I thought you meant, cause that's what I thought the word was, but when I looked it up on google just to be sure, it didn't say anything like that... :roll:

Anyway, that's a good idea!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:16 pm 
Captain
Captain

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:

* taps lip * Now, I'm not sure about the impossibility of it. I have heard of people with whom an illness changed their personality, or an injury. Personality, I think, is partly based on experience and outside influences, and partly on something quite definite in an actual physiological way.

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
Mimetes the Seer wrote:

* nods * That's what I thought you meant, cause that's what I thought the word was, but when I looked it up on google just to be sure, it didn't say anything like that... :roll:

Multiple personalities is disassociative identity disorder. Schizophrenia is a detachment from reality, like hallucinations and delusions. Both of those wouldn't be to hard to pull of as poisons, since there are plants that cause those. Actually, that'd be cool to do in a fantasy. Maybe something with high officials contracting something that's like that because they've been poisoned? :book:

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:41 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

*is glad the expert showed up* :D

Varon Netzah Mimetes wrote:
Maybe something with high officials contracting something that's like that because they've been poisoned? :book:
I like this idea. :cool:

Main Fantasy Project:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:56 pm 
Captain
Captain

I"m not an expert. I just enjoy studying psychology.

Yes, I'm getting a fantasy conspiracy vibe from it. :cool:

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:51 pm 
Writer
Writer

As I have read stories I have come upon the plant nightshade, which when a little dose is put in the victims food, the victim then falls asleep, but to much would then kill the victim.
Oh, my sister has just told me something, let me repeat for you all.
Arsenic (embalming powder) It is a colorless and tasteless white powder (that seemingly disappears when put on food, becomes absorbed) that used to embalm dead bodies, but when consumed in small amounts (when somebody puts it in the food in small amounts, stretching on for weeks or months) it gradually kills them. The way it effects the person makes it look natural cause, causing the stomach to become swollen and yellow, and the rest of the body sort of shrinks. :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 pm 
Writer
Writer

What about some sort of toxin that affects all of the brain's nerve impulses at once, so that literally every nerve feels pain simultaneously? Probable? Effects?...

Jesus therefore said to the Jews who believed him, If ye abide in my word, ye are truly my disciples;
and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.
- John 8: 31-32

“A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic-on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg-or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.” –C. S. Lewis

http://whilewewereyetsinners.wordpress.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:50 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I've read/heard about poisons that make someone hallucinate...Which actually could be pretty dangerous, since you might see a tree which looks like a giant frog, and get scared, causing you to run off a cliff. ;)

Visit my website on writing!

Current Works:
Master of Iron: Plot Development

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:19 pm 
Writer
Writer

I've toyed with the idea of story about someone who is poisoned at the beginning of the story but its a slow working poison and the main plot is about the MC racing against time to find the antidote.

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile