Login | Register

Post subject: Re: I've been poisoned – will I die?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
* got two and half ideas and a wild plot inspiration off of this post * 0.0

Kiev Shawn wrote:
That... o.O That is brilliant.

Really? o.O Well, I'm glad you liked it/it helped. :D

Varon wrote:
Suiauthon Mimetes wrote:
*laughs* We have too many evil non-descript scientists anyway. High-time we saw a psychotic ecologist. *nodnod*

Like an eco-terrorist? I think we've seen quite a few of those. :P
I cannot readily recall any, let alone any that want to overrun the world with Sydney Tunnel Spiders in an effort to rid the world of humans.

Varon wrote:
Suiauthon Mimetes wrote:
Or perhaps a combination poison? The two poisons aren't lethal by themselves, but when both are active in the person's body, will kill that person. The trigger poison could be administered through the air, and would only kill the person who had already received the primer poison.

Yes, that is quite the plan. It might backfire or something, and also activate in certain people based on their genetic structure, which would actually probably be more helpful because it might just look like a plague.
Interesting. :cool:

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:59 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
* splits personalities a split second before I fall down dead * Oh...apparently – that poison was fatal. * blinks at dead self * I wasn't expecting that, sorry.

But anyway... * discreetly pushes corpse a little further away with foot * The Point I was trying to make was – some poisons aren't fatal. I just happened to have been unlucky just now. But the normal thing for a character in a novel to do upon being poisoned is, in my experience, to fall over dead. * cocks head * But...poisons can do other things too, and novelists ought to be known for their creative ways of torturing their characters. * evil giggle * (Only slightly less disturbing than an evil laugh, if done correctly.)

Sooo... * grins * What dastardly things can we do other than just being boring and actually killing them?

(* has 'They Die' stuck in her head *)

It's me, I'm back. Hi everyone! <waves> So, I was really surprised and happy to see this topic because in my novel somebody gets poisoned. I can't go into any plot details, but here's basically what happens: A gets poisoned by B. B (who isn't evil, just been lied to) thinks it's just a regular kill-em-dead-in-a-few-minutes poison, but actually it is a horrible poison that keeps the victim alive for ten hours (in a lot of pain, of course) and it's used for torturing someone into giving away whatever secrets they are keeping. It is made from the deadly Kosis Berry, and the Ocean Rose seaweed (a seaweed which is often used in either inducing or increasing labor during childbirth, but in very small doses). So basically, the victim would begin with mild stomach pains and, as the poison progressed, the pain would become more severe and the victim would weaken, but be able to speak almost up until the moment of death.
By the way, don't bother googling Kosis Berries or Ocean Rose seaweed, because I made them up ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:18 am 
Editor
Editor

Are you a published author?: Yes
*is stunned by how the Holy Worlders have jumped on the Sydney Funnel Web spider idea* psychotic ecologist? * laughs* I find that idea disturbing and entertaining.....
*devious smile* I like the split-poison idea. A lot.
Hmm....how about a character eating some poisonous mushrooms, like death caps or destroying angels? They'd die, but it'd take like 2 days, and they would suffer terribly....or maybe something infused with the mushroom's extract? *thought*I know that water that lilies-of-the-valley have been in is toxic....actually anything involving a lily of the valley is toxic....even in small doses. *very devious smile*

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 pm 
Captain
Captain

Laura E. Mimetes wrote:
A gets poisoned by B. B (who isn't evil, just been lied to) thinks it's just a regular kill-em-dead-in-a-few-minutes poison, but actually it is a horrible poison that keeps the victim alive for ten hours (in a lot of pain, of course) and it's used for torturing someone into giving away whatever secrets they are keeping. It is made from the deadly Kosis Berry, and the Ocean Rose seaweed (a seaweed which is often used in either inducing or increasing labor during childbirth, but in very small doses). So basically, the victim would begin with mild stomach pains and, as the poison progressed, the pain would become more severe and the victim would weaken, but be able to speak almost up until the moment of death.
Oooh...that must have been painful for B, since he wasn't actually evil. :(

I like that idea for a poison. Actually, the notion of using substances, poisons, for torturing someone to make them reveal information is not used very much. It never even really occurred to me before. :cool:

(Welcome back, Laura! :D)

Lady Abigail Mimetes wrote:
I know that water that lilies-of-the-valley have been in is toxic....
Even if they've just been in there for a short while?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:05 pm 
Editor
Editor

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
I know that water that lilies-of-the-valley have been in is toxic....
Even if they've just been in there for a short while?

Ummm...I'm not sure. I would think so, but I guess it depends on how long of a short while they're infusing it.

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Kya Lightwing wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:09 pm 
Writer
Writer

Lady Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
Laura E. Mimetes wrote:
A gets poisoned by B. B (who isn't evil, just been lied to) thinks it's just a regular kill-em-dead-in-a-few-minutes poison, but actually it is a horrible poison that keeps the victim alive for ten hours (in a lot of pain, of course) and it's used for torturing someone into giving away whatever secrets they are keeping. It is made from the deadly Kosis Berry, and the Ocean Rose seaweed (a seaweed which is often used in either inducing or increasing labor during childbirth, but in very small doses). So basically, the victim would begin with mild stomach pains and, as the poison progressed, the pain would become more severe and the victim would weaken, but be able to speak almost up until the moment of death.
Oooh...that must have been painful for B, since he wasn't actually evil. :(

I like that idea for a poison. Actually, the notion of using substances, poisons, for torturing someone to make them reveal information is not used very much. It never even really occurred to me before. :cool:

Yes, very painful. Fortunately for A, if a doctor who knows what he's doing can get to him in time, there is a chance the poison can be counteracted.
Actually, because B didn't use a fast-acting poison, the real villain's plan backfires because A is able to tell B things that might otherwise never have been known. :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:10 pm 
Writer
Writer

By the way, all this stuff about real-life poisons is fascinating! For some reason, the mad ecologist using funnel-web spiders to kill off humans seems hilarious. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:06 am 
Editor
Editor

The spider idea is entertaining...

The most poisonous common plant in the world is the castor bean plant. Two millionths of an ounce of its poison, ricin, is enough to kill a 160 lb human. Ricin is a protein found in the castor bean plant's seeds.

The hooded pitohui bird has homobatrachotoxin, the same poison excreted by poison dart frogs.

Bulldog ants are vicious and have large mandibles. They will latch on to something and sting repeatedly. They can kill a person with their stings in 15 minutes.

The king cobra, (Ophiophagus hannah), has enough venom in one bite to kill twenty people.

o.O all these poisons are fatal...Oh well. Seems like the ecologist and his crazy florist assistant will strike again! Mwahahahahaaaaaaa....

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Kya Lightwing wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:22 pm 

Suiauthon Mimetes wrote:
Or perhaps a combination poison? The two poisons aren't lethal by themselves, but when both are active in the person's body, will kill that person. The trigger poison could be administered through the air, and would only kill the person who had already received the primer poison.

The term I've seen used for this is "binary poison"; in fiction I've read (and in Deadly Doses: The Writer's Guide to Poisons, I think), the second part is usually delivered through food, e.g. at a banquet: everyone eats the same thing, maybe there's a food taster to "prevent" poisoning, but the target and no one else dies anyway.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 am 
Editor
Editor

Hmm...I like the combination poison... :twisted: *writes down for later reference for the sci-fi story floating around in brain*
The batrachotoxin found in the skin of poison dart frogs can be counteracted by the tetrodotoxin found in pufferfish and blue-ringed octopi. (Which is funny, because neither one have a known antidote and both are considered lethal) XD

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Kya Lightwing wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:37 pm 
Writer
Writer

Cyanide (or is it potassium cyanide...) tastes/smells like bitter almonds. interesting plot to have someone digest it, but be genetically able to cure themselves of it with the right substances. (No, this is not entirely my idea, but it's not copyrighted as long as you don't use the same circumstances. I think.... I mean, giant wasps have got to be worse.)

One idea is that an incredibly deadly poison actually functions as an antidote for another incredibly deadly poison. (Or does that actually exist...)

A poison can work as a hallucinogen before progressing into a paralyzer that leaves the victim to be eaten by carrion cleaners and such. (I have sick dreams...)

Perhaps a poison that induces carcinogens into the host that are inoperable. Or perhaps spawns a new lifeform and uses the body as a host.

http://listverse.com/2013/04/03/10-pois ... g-effects/

An idea from a post I read once (I have evil, conniving races and I like to have weird cultures): quails eat hemlock leaves because they're immune to the poison, but the meat of the bird is still deadly to humans. Interesting assassination plot...

Oleander was once used as a plant to abort children in medieval times. However, it's very poisonous and would often kill the woman as well.

Honey made from bees that fed on rhododendrons, azaleas, and/or oleanders is still very poisonous.

An intersting idea would be to introduce the victim to rabies somehow...

(Yes, I realize that most of these are only deadly, but they sure would be fun to write!! And I should probably be worried that I think that....)

Also, would it be possible to make a poison using ordinary spices? Apparently, nutmeg (in high doses) is a hallucinogenic. And I think cabbage has some cyanide in it...

But anyway. Overdosage in vitamin suplements would also make the victim sick but not necessarily dead (unless the dasage is really high, of course....)

I love researching this and find it incredibly fun. Another thing to look at is flowers. There are several flowers that normal people have in their gardens that are actually poisonous.

And don't ever make me or my brother angry. We could literally kill you without a trace. And isn't that creepy.....

Seriously. I think that all of the people who want to take over the world should just go write fiction. Same type of people and they would fit in - without all of the literal deaths and torture and such....

"Maids of the Valleys, we come from our heights
To dance in your forests beneath the sky's lights."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:38 pm 
Editor
Editor

...methinks Charlotte and I need to become next-door neighbors. :rofl:

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Kya Lightwing wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:15 pm 
Captain
Captain

o_o No Abi. That would be frightening.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm 
Writer
Writer

...methinks Charlotte and I need to become next-door neighbors. :rofl:

*grins*

That would be tons of fun. not to mention, I would have another auther to converse with in person!!!!! Actually, the only author....

But alas. I must only share random bits of trivia and share advice on this wonderful site...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:44 pm 
Editor
Editor

Aye, me as well. Trivia like how death camas is actually part of the lily family, and despite its frightening name, isn't always fatal.

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Kya Lightwing wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:49 pm 
Writer
Writer

Aye, me as well. Trivia like how death camas is actually part of the lily family, and despite its frightening name, isn't always fatal.

Death Camas?? Please! Enlighten me and expand my knowledge!

And I wouldn't necessarily reccomend eating lilies....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:25 pm 

Charlotte Jane wrote:
One idea is that an incredibly deadly poison actually functions as an antidote for another incredibly deadly poison. (Or does that actually exist...)

There's one memorable occurrence of a similar idea in Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold (whose work might not qualify as entirely "hard" science fiction, but only because of transportation and weapons technologies that modern physics would say are impossible; her treatment of items from biology seem carefully researched): the heroine, several months pregnant, is poisoned using a poison gas that had been thought obsolete because its antidote is readily available, but the antidote severely damages her unborn child (the real target of the attack).

The theory behind your idea seems basically sound, since so many medicines are toxins that merely do more damage to the germs than to our bodies and that we take in small enough doses that our bodies can easily recover.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

• Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:30 pm 
Writer
Writer

kingjon wrote:
The theory behind your idea seems basically sound, since so many medicines are toxins that merely do more damage to the germs than to our bodies and that we take in small enough doses that our bodies can easily recover.

Really? It's sound? That came from a reallyw eird dream I had one night - I figured since it was for fiction, who cared.

But thanks for the info! It works better when I don't have to make up my own technobabble and such... At least this way I halfway know what I'm talking about.

Kind of. But don't bet on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 pm 

Charlotte Jane wrote:
kingjon wrote:

Really? It's sound? That came from a really weird dream I had one night - I figured since it was for fiction, who cared.

But thanks for the info! It works better when I don't have to make up my own technobabble and such... At least this way I halfway know what I'm talking about.

Kind of. But don't bet on it.

Seems sound. I am by no means an expert. :) But when I think about it in light of what little I know, it seems like it would make sense.

• My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:56 pm 
Writer
Writer

kingjon wrote:
Seems sound. I am by no means an expert. :) But when I think about it in light of what little I know, it seems like it would make sense.

True...

And isn't that what they do with antivenoms and such?

Offline Profile