Sometimes 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Washing Hands
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:14 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Do you make your characters wash hands in your books? Why, and when?

I make a my civilized characters wash their hands before their meals so they will keep the Germs away from the food, but my Corsairs and my half human half robot never. Ever.

~ Yours truly, Blayne B. Trent

"Home isn't where you live. Home is where you feel safe; whether it's four walls and a roof over your head, or with the people you love. That's home."

Sub-ForumYou can clicks it! :twisted:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Washing Hands
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Never really thought about that...I do make my characters do it just because well, I do it to keep germs away so why not have the character do it?

Quote:
Chivalry: The humble, yet heroic attitude of selflessness, displayed by the performance of unselfish deeds, for unselfish reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Ooh! I've actually had two characters tease about one's lack of hand washing. To be honest I never really considered the fact that in other worlds characters might not wash their hands....

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 pm 
Captain
Captain

Some people in this world don't. :) Historically, there were points where not even surgeons washed their hands. It really is a good issue to think about when evaluating culture....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

This is very true. :D *grimaces at the thought of surgeons not washing their hands! *

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:55 am 
Captain
Captain

It depends if their medical and hygiene sciences are as advanced as ours, or was, when germs were discovered.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:57 am 
Writer
Writer

I might sound like I'm giving a lesson, but there was a certain hospital that had the highest death, a certain doctor, I forgot his name, was promoted to a higher rank in that hospital. So he told the rest of the surgeon: that before they operate a person they have to wash their hands. The rest of the surgeons didn't like it, but they had to do it, and when they did it they had the lowest death rate...just because of washing hands. But when the doctor left they went back to their old ways, and the death rate went up.

"Home isn't where you live. Home is where you feel safe; whether it's four walls and a roof over your head, or with the people you love. That's home."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:23 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

It doesn't sound like a lesson Lieutenant, I've heard the same story.

Actually, if I recall correctly, where we get the term hygiene is from the Greek demi-goddess (I think... perhaps not, she might have been the daughter of a demi-god and thus not a demi-goddess... anywho!) by the name of Hygieia. Her father was a famous Greek physician, but Hygieia was know for keeping sick patients so clean, that they got better just because of that.

(see? I think I may have sounded just a bit more lesson-y ;) *grins* )

Surprising that the Greeks thought of sanitation in relation to being healthy and we later decided they were wrong (only to find out they were right in the end).

(I can't say too much, I'm not sure how the transition of medicine happened from the Romans through the Medieval era into the Renaissance).

I am Lady Vilisse Mimetes. Humble servant of the Lord our God and warrior in His name. Though my actions are feeble and prone to failure, I shall never falter in my call. I am pledged to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
My name is outward proof of my promise to follow, closer and closer, the words and will of my Lord and Father.

note:
Vilisse is Quenya for a person's spirit or general personality.
Mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

and so my spirit is one of a follower

Visit my revived, er.... dead blog! RSSharkey

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am 
Captain
Captain

Lieutenant Mopa wrote:
I might sound like I'm giving a lesson, but there was a certain hospital that had the highest death, a certain doctor, I forgot his name, was promoted to a higher rank in that hospital. So he told the rest of the surgeon: that before they operate a person they have to wash their hands. The rest of the surgeons didn't like it, but they had to do it, and when they did it they had the lowest death rate...just because of washing hands. But when the doctor left they went back to their old ways, and the death rate went up.
Yes, I heard about that too. It's amazing how obtuse humanity is at times...we won't look facts in the face. :P

Lady Vilisse Mimetes wrote:
Actually, if I recall correctly, where we get the term hygiene is from the Greek demi-goddess (I think... perhaps not, she might have been the daughter of a demi-god and thus not a demi-goddess... anywho!) by the name of Hygieia. Her father was a famous Greek physician, but Hygieia was know for keeping sick patients so clean, that they got better just because of that.

(see? I think I may have sounded just a bit more lesson-y *grins* )

Surprising that the Greeks thought of sanitation in relation to being healthy and we later decided they were wrong (only to find out they were right in the end).
That is fascinating. :cool:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:38 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

*collects interesting tidbit to store in her mental files *

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:21 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I have to say I've never thought about this before. Hooray for fun history lessons! :dieshappy: (Once a homeschooler, always a homeschooler. :roll:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:08 pm 
Writer
Writer

:D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:34 pm 
Writer
Writer

I think I'd find it too boring to write about characters washing their hands. :P Besides, the main characters in my book are mostly traders who don't care much about hygiene, so I never thought about it before.

Works in Progress:
The Capstone - 97,000 Words (Fourth Draft), In Planning Phase
Currently Unnamed - In Plotting Phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:53 pm 
Captain
Captain

Aratrea wrote:
I think I'd find it too boring to write about characters washing their hands. :P Besides, the main characters in my book are mostly traders who don't care much about hygiene, so I never thought about it before.
* grins * You don't make up culture to write treatises about it... * shakes head * Right? Oh wait, some people do.... :rofl: :roll:

Anyway, er, yes – but if you write with detail and realism, then a lot of little cultural things just come out someway or other.Washing hands might be a detail, but it's a good thing to think about anyway. If you pay attention to enough details, the effect is exponential.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:02 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
I have a few times where there is a bowl of water in the room for rinsing hands and faces in the morning like you see in movies in previous eras.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:58 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I heard a story where it was the midwives who first instated handwashing in a certain hospital. The doctors got really angry because pregnant mothers were choosing to go to the midwives instead because they knew the death rate was lower. (I am surrounded by midwives. I dont' actually remember the details or the source of the tale, but you can feel free to google it!)

Floyd was frozen where he stood. He struggled to breathe, but the air smelled of blood and death and guilt. He tried to formulate a name, to ask, but language was meaningless, and words would not come. He tried to scream but the sound got stuck in his heart, shattered into a million pieces, and scattered to the wind.

In a world without superheroes, who will stand against the forces of evil?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:33 am 
Writer
Writer

I hadn't really thought much about characters washing their hands. In fact, the only time I remember mentioning such a thing in either of my published books is when a character tells her little brother to wash his hands after he throws away a beetle she found in the frog she was dissecting. I do have the characters in my WIP take a bath after escaping from the dungeon, and then again after getting soaked in a thunderstorm, but I don't think I mention them washing their hands. I'm glad I saw this thread, because now that I think of it, I think one of my characters would freak out about eating with dirty hands.

My website: http://www.morganhuneke.com/

Offline Profile