Login | Register

Post subject: Banned Books!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
I was intrigued by the list of banned books that's posted in my library, and decided that in my sci-fi story set in future Earth, America is going to ban books as well - books like The Hunger Games, or Les Mis; books that glorify rebelling against and overthrowing the government.

So what books come to mind that might be taken to be glorifying rebelling against or overthrowing the government?

"And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

My blog

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Banned Books!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 pm 

Star Wars. XD

Um...That's all I can think of at the moment.

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:09 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sounds good! :rofl:

"And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

My blog

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:09 am 

Sex: Male
A long list of books from the period of and leading up to the American Revolution; Presbyterian (and other Reformed) preachers commonly proclaimed that "resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

The Institutes of the Christian Religion.

The Heidelberg Catechism ... probably. Like many Christian treatises, it calls for obedience to the governments that God has established, but also makes clear that God's law is binding on both ruler and subject alike, which any totalitarian government is going to object to.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:02 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sweet, thanks. :D

My blog

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:26 pm 
Writer
Writer

This is probably the most obvious one (and you may have even thought of it before this), but what about the Bible? It would be interesting to see how you could incorporate that into your list of banned books.

"...so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." ~ Ephesians 3:17-19

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 pm 
Captain
Captain

Banning books that incite rebellion? The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld come to mind.

BushMaid -- Bush, Bushy, Aussie.
Handlettering, Graphic & Logo Design
Click here to get in touch with me so I can design you awesome things!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Lady in Waiting wrote:
This is probably the most obvious one (and you may have even thought of it before this), but what about the Bible? It would be interesting to see how you could incorporate that into your list of banned books.

Brilliant minds think alike! :D The Bible is indeed a banned book. That's the way I see our country heading if it continues on its current streak, anyway... :P
Thanks Busheth!

My blog

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:58 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
Well, 'Prince Caspian' because they overthrow Miraz and the Telmarines. 'Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' because they overthrow Jadis. 'Silver Chair', perhaps.... Maybe 'Series of Unfortunate Events'. 'Animal Farm' definitely. Tom Clancy in general. 'Lord of the Rings'. 'The Silmarillion'. An acquaintance mentioned that Harry Potter overthrew an organization in one of the stories. 'Man in the Iron Mask'. The 'Alcatraz Smedry' series. 'Castle in the Attic'. 'Anthony and Cleopatra'. 'King Lear'. 'Macbeth'. 'Julias Ceasar'. 'Hamlet'. Probably a bunch of other Shakespearean plays. 'Uncle Tom's Cabin'. 'Pilgrim's Progress'. 'Last of the Mohicans', just because it's set in the War for Independance. 'Tale of Two Cities', as it's set in the French Revolution. 'The Man who Would be King'. 'Hunchback of Nortre Dame'. 'Rob Roy'. 'Kdnapped'. 'Little Lord Fauntelroy', because the American merchant is all for the War for Independance. 'Red Badge of Courage'. 'War and Peace'. 'Anna Karenina'. 'The Cossacks'. 'The Art of War' also might not be encouraged. 'A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' might also be frowned upon. 'The Time Machine' also would a disadvantage. 'The Black Arrow'. 'To Kill a Mockingbird' could go either way. '1984' would likely be banned. Steinbeck's books may or may not be necessary to ban. 'Gone With the Wind'. 'The Iliad'. 'Mein Kamph' might also be baned - not that anyone would read it.... 'Ender's Game', and perhaps others in the series. The Constitution and Declaration of the United States. 'The Federalist Papers'. 'Zorro'. 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' series. 'Common Sense'. 'That Hideous Strength' by Lewis. Many, many books in 'The House of Winslow Series'. Any version of Robin Hood. 'North and South'. Any biography of war heroes - especially heroes that took part in a revolution of sorts (Washington, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Oliver Cromwell, Lenin, William the Silent, etc...)

I hope that list helps a little. I love reading, so this was fun to answer....

Will they ban movies and tv shows that follow the same idea? If so, there a few that would probably be banned (Doctor Who for one - definitely).

"Maids of the Valleys, we come from our heights
To dance in your forests beneath the sky's lights."

Offline Profile