Login | Register

Post subject: Education in the Middle Ages/Medieval times
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:34 pm 
Editor
Editor

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me as much as they can about what education was like in the Middle Ages/Medieval period, since I have a few medieval and medieval fantasy projects on my drawing board.

Anything you can tell me would help.

Thanks guys!

Balec can erase the memories of others. He has the powers and talents of a gorilla, but only for five minutes at a time. Balec is protected by an adamantium-like hide and can transform any sloth into air, and can transform kevlar into ice. Balec has been known to absorb the damage from energy-based attacks and redirect it against any combatant in sight. He can tunnel through solid plastic, but doing so drains his endurance for one hour. Balec is able to view distant locations with his mind.
He can force creatures to freeze in place and can become tiny. Sadly, Balec becomes ugly in the presence of silver, and struggles with being unable to smell.

"When does school end? Every moment of life teaches you something." ~Philosopher Balec, Dec. 2nd, 2014 (Profound sayings)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Education in the Middle Ages/Medieval times
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:52 am 
Editor
Editor

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
The early Middle Ages were characterized by manors, on which lived serfs, churchmen, and the noble, or lord of the manor. Serfs comprised the majority; they lived near the manor house and had no education. They were essentially slaves. The churchmen were well educated, they could read, write, and the like. They were used as scribes fit the lord. The lord also had an education. (I may edit this after double checking the info in my history book, I'm going from memory just now)

Hope this helps a bit!

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 am 
Editor
Editor

Are you a published author?: No
Ahh...Thanks, Lady Abi.

Hmm, that's different news to me. I guess I was subconsciously thinking more of the fictional worlds like Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Ranger's Apprentice, etc.

Thanks again!

Balec can erase the memories of others. He has the powers and talents of a gorilla, but only for five minutes at a time. Balec is protected by an adamantium-like hide and can transform any sloth into air, and can transform kevlar into ice. Balec has been known to absorb the damage from energy-based attacks and redirect it against any combatant in sight. He can tunnel through solid plastic, but doing so drains his endurance for one hour. Balec is able to view distant locations with his mind.
He can force creatures to freeze in place and can become tiny. Sadly, Balec becomes ugly in the presence of silver, and struggles with being unable to smell.

"When does school end? Every moment of life teaches you something." ~Philosopher Balec, Dec. 2nd, 2014 (Profound sayings)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:15 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
Any kind of education in the middle ages came from being apprenticed to a craft of some sort. (This was more done once the renaissance started kicking.)

There wasn't any government or local schools. The rich would have their children taught by tutors sometimes. Most of the time (at least in England) it was very popular to send your children to some other person of your rank to grow up and in turn take someone else's children to raise for them.
Craftsmen would take apprentices mostly their own children or some other craftsmen's children.
And serfs taught their children how to...hoe.

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile