Login | Register

Post subject: Goreback weddings
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:19 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Hey everyone! In my webcomic and books I have a race of large, primal humans called Gorebacks and I wanted to share a tradition they have for wedding...

When two Gorebacks want to be married they head off into the wilderness of the Icy Isles: a deadly, ice-blasted string of islands that are home to giant beasts of all sizes. The two lovers must separate and each hunt one of the deadly monsters or beasts that roam the islands and bring it back to the village so the meat can be used for the wedding feast and the skin can be used to make their would be mate a ceremonial garment for the wedding.

The deadlier the beast the more of a declaration of love and devotion to their mate the Goreback makes. Some Gorebacks refuse to bring something as trivial as a giant wolf or a dire bear back, and will spend weeks hunting and tracking frost drakes, yeti, or even dragons or rocs to prove their love.

If a mate returns empty-handed but unharmed, more often then not the wedding will not go through, as the Goreback's mate will refuse to let such a person into their family or the shamed Goreback will not want to tarnish their mate's reputation--as honor is prized almost as much as faith or strength at arms in their culture and no true Goreback would shame their love twice.

If a Goreback returns empty-handed but grievously wounded, they are allowed to heal and then return to the wilderness to try again, as they did not admit defeat but lived to fight another day. It shows that their love for their mate goes past their own life by attempting to hunt a creature mightier than themselves.

When both return, whomever has brought in a deadlier creature will be seen as the head of their new family.
--------------------------------
Just an idea I had for a race of giant bestial folk with a long warrior tradition.

One more fun fact about their culture is both sexes are equal: as the females are just as big, strong and tough as the males, when they first met their smaller human cousins and other races on the mainland they took the old rule "Never hit a girl" as meaning the female mainlanders were much more dangerous than the males and not to be crossed....They were not entirely wrong, of course....But to this day it is the butt of many Goreback jokes as female Gorebacks love to tease and taunt their female friends from the "Softer" races about how easy they have it.

Hope you get some enjoyment reading this little nibble from the Guild Tomes universe. :3

God bless.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Goreback weddings
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:06 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Pact Drake wrote:
When both return whoever has brought in a deadlier creature will be seen as the head of their new family.
So in some cases, I'm guessing that the struggle to get a deadlier creature is not so much an declaration of love, as it is based on more selfish considerations?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:09 am 
Writer
Writer

As always in life, there would selfish individuals who would do such a thing. However, they would be a hated minority among Gorebacks. If the reason was ever discovered, the backlash would be very bad and would even go so far as provoking their own clan to expel them from the village until they complete the "Honor-Fang Ordeal", where a disgraced Goreback must bring their clan's Leader a trophy from a rare and deadly monster or beast of random selection as punishment for trying to use the other Goreback and an honored tradition of love to increase their social standing.

But most Goreback--though monstrously big and short-tempered--are honorable, and things like treachery or selfishness against someone who trusts them is something they consider "Un-Goreback".

Sorry for the long answer. X3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
That is interesting. Then their faults are more explosive and less conniving, as a race, I think you're saying?

No, I asked because I was curious. The information is great. :D

What are the consequences for a goreback who is born deformed or is seriously crippled, and thus cannot hunt dangerous animals? Does he have to remain celibate for life?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:21 pm 
Writer
Writer

Indeed, much more likely to punch you in the face than to stab you in the back.

An interesting question, it would probably depend on the condition, In my world setting there are advanced tech with a fantasy theme kind of like steampunk, Gorebacks would remove the crippled part and replace it with beastly robotic appendages but anything more serious than that means it is very unlikely they will marry another Goreback, traditions do not apply to marrying other races unless so chosen and sometimes if a lame Goreback and their mate do want to be together the heads of the two families will meet and come to a deal or allow a stand in from the crippled immediate family or a Blood-kin (friend as close as family) to hunt in their place.

If a Goreback is crippled in battle or hunting it is a kind of badge of honor and a close friend or family member will take on the duties need for the ceremony without any question or counsels to decide.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:57 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: No
Wow. :shock: I love this culture. Very cool. :dieshappy:

How big are they exactly?

Given their extreme hunting and warrior culture, how are their children raised? I mean, does the parent who's not in charge take care of the kids and cook meals and keep house, or does no one keep house (because they don't have very complicated houses?)?
Also, what happens when the female is the head of the family, therefore the chief hunter, when she gets pregnant?
Also, lots of kids or few kids?

Just questions about family. ;) I mean, that's what comes next after marriage, right?

Oh wait. Is this getting off-topic from what this topic is supposed to be about? Or is this okay because it's about Gorebacks still? (Yup. I'm a newbie. How'd you guess...?) :)

Areth,

Karthmin

http://www.thevoiceofka.weebly.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:44 pm 
Writer
Writer

Karthmin wrote:
Wow. :shock: I love this culture. Very cool. :dieshappy:

How big are they exactly?

Given their extreme hunting and warrior culture, how are their children raised? I mean, does the parent who's not in charge take care of the kids and cook meals and keep house, or does no one keep house (because they don't have very complicated houses?)?
Also, what happens when the female is the head of the family, therefore the chief hunter, when she gets pregnant?
Also, lots of kids or few kids?

Just questions about family. ;) I mean, that's what comes next after marriage, right?

Oh wait. Is this getting off-topic from what this topic is supposed to be about? Or is this okay because it's about Gorebacks still? (Yup. I'm a newbie. How'd you guess...?) :)

Areth,

Karthmin

Hey sorry for the late reply! :D

Absolutely not, I'm happy to answer any questions you have, we also have a website for the series and comics Gorebacks appear in, some of the early art is a little low grade but most people seem to enjoy it if your interested. http://suntset-pact.weebly.com/

Your average Goreback is between 6'5 and 7'8 and with males weighing between 300-500 pounds and females 250-400 pounds with both sexes equally tough and strong.

For how the children are raised by various family members to fight and hunt starting small and working their way up as they go. House is kept by parents and children as they get older just like an average family (A full day of hunting Ice Drakes or driving off Raider ships and while the kiddies learning to forge a sword and use it then home to straighten up, make dinner and bed! ;D )

IF the head of the family is female she becomes pregnant she remains head and may still hunt and fight until well into her pregnancy depending on circumstances.

Most Gorebacks prefer large families because big clans mea more power and safety but there are no real rules on how many children each couple should have.

Offline Profile