Login | Register

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Art Contest!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:25 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
I'm sorry, guys. I found out some things that are still on major "to-do" list, so I don't have time for the art contest.
Thank you again for generously extending the time and also allowing digital art entries. :) Perhaps someone else will have used your gracious generosity more effectively than I did.. :(

Look forward to seeing everyone's beautiful pieces entered! ;)

Luke 9:23 "Then He said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and FOLLOW ME."

“Christians are a band of natural enemies who love one another for Jesus's sake.” -Tim Keller

"No where is God more present than in human weakness." --James R. Edwards

Counterrevolutionary book for all of Christianity and all of its split sections, I say.
http://www.notafan.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:14 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
On the edge of the deadline, my apologies. I was always touching up, and we were gone a lot. But I have it now!

Oh, and here is a transcript of the poem in the smoke, since it is quite hard to read (I had just wanted words, it was rather an extra thing that it is a real poem).

Breathing the breath of a mountain of death,
through its hard form the proud worm threading.

Below the horn of its crest sleeps the nest
by immortality worn.

Flown from this hold blood sown and cold
the authority of wrath lays a long, fay path
from the fear laid in waiting
to the gates of mad malediction
laid on all.

Under all lies the ashen humility riding the soul,
fierce as the first and founded in the constant vow.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
I Corinthians 11:1

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

My Book on Amazon.

Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld.

One of my posts: Introducing You to Iniel (third update)

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:41 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

*stares in utter shock* My goodness, Patrick. :shock: That's amazing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:08 pm 
Writer
Writer

... Sooo... When does judging happen..?

My blog and art gallery. :D

Unity. Duty. Destiny.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:33 pm 
Captain
Captain

Toothless wrote:
Right now. We are pondering as I type. :cool:

I don't know when it will be announced. Next Sunday, was it? * can't remember *

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:25 pm 
Writer
Writer

Mistress Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
Toothless wrote:
Right now. We are pondering as I type. :cool:

I don't know when it will be announced. Next Sunday, was it? * can't remember *

Ah, ok. :D

My blog and art gallery. :D

Unity. Duty. Destiny.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:10 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I want to apologize to all the participants for not having results out yet. They will be posted by the end of next Sunday at the latest.

After much thought and prayer, I am staying on Holy Worlds. I believe what we have here is worth fighting for. PM me for details.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:43 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

A scribe comes running and hands the lady, who is still on the platform, another scroll.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" she says, scanning the parchment, "we have the results of the art contest!" She looks up, meeting your eyes. "The title of Runner-Up goes to Tsahraf Chahsid Mimetes for his piece, "Gray, gold dragon, face of malediction, and smoke poem!"

She waits for the applause to quiet. "As the only digital entry, Black Hawk's "Dragon Sunset" receives honourable mention!"

She waits for silence again. "And the announcement you have all been waiting for: the winner of the contest is Dragon Entry 1 by," she pauses, "Lady Eruwaedhiel! Congratulations, and thank you, everyone, for participating!"

She nails the parchment on a nearby wooden column before disappearing in the crowds.

Lady Eruwaedhiel, please contact Fairfeet the Seer to claim your prize!

Judges' comments:

AzlynRose: Very creative idea! The see through wings, face in the background, and smoke truly makes it look 3D. The colours are not quite as eye-catching as Lady E's, but it still is a remarkable piece of art. Watch your strokes just a bit on the background particularly in the sky above the face.

Mistress Rwebhu Kidh:The ideas are stunning, and the transparency of the dragon is done very skillfully. Everything is done skillfully, really. However, the reason I didn't think it was best was because of the overall impression. It left me muddled, without enough contrast of emphasis. When I look at it I find myself trying to figure out what this part is because it is unclear, and then something else will catch my eye that doesn't seem to fit, and so on. There are so many things to look at that the picture isn't as good as it could have been.

Celestria: This piece is off the chart when it comes to creativity with that smoke poem, those see through wings, and that totally creepy face. The only reason I chose it as the runner up and not the winner was that it almost seemed overboard on detail work, distracting rather than adding to the original picture.

AzlynRose: A splendid piece of digital art. I do not have much in the way of critique, because I don't have experience with digital art, but I can tell you what I liked about it! The idea and the colour scheme blend together beautifully, and match the lighting on the dragon. I love the detail on the dragon's wings and the shading on the people and the dragon make this picture look real.

Mistress Rwebhu Kidh:The 3D effect is wonderful. There is more shading on this dragon than any of the others, and it makes the dragon seem very real. The dramatic upward lighting gives it a feeling of being in midair, and of doing something really awesome, whatever it's doing. However that effect in particular is dampened by the lack of cohesiveness with the background, in my opinion. If the sky matched the style of the dragon more and had a little more detail, the dragon would still stand out as the obvious centerpiece but would actually seem like it was flying. Also, I think the dragon would be better with a tiny bit more color variety.

Celestria: Our first ever digital entry in a coloring contest. I would have loved to see more competition in this category. Toothless did a great job with his picture. The texture he gave the dragon wings and body, the shading, the coloring… all were done well and give the picture a vivid 3D appearance. If anything, I feel like he played it safe and would have loved to see a little more creativity especially with the colors.

AzlynRose: The golden wings are the first thing you notice on this dragon, and they instantly caught my eye and drew me into the picture. Your unique idea and the ability to carry it out tells the story of this legendary creature well. The only critique I have is that a little more shading on the dragon and people could make it look more 3D, and to watch the strokes of your pencil while doing the background so that they are not obvious straight strokes.

Mistress Rwebhu Kidh: I love the colors and the way they work together. The picture felt very cohesive and just plain pretty every time I looked at it. I think that the only thing you could have done to make it better would be to add more detail in places, give people something to look at even deeper and further after the overall scheme catches their eye. Putting some light, contrast color veining on the wings, maybe, giving the eyes a little touch so they look glowing-er, deepening some of the shading, doing something a bit different on the scales (like Gretchen did with her soft spots), something like that.

Celestria: I love this piece! The love the colors of the sky, the soft hues, the touch of gold which gives the dragon a scaly otherworldly feel. Overall she did a great job coloring the picture and blending the background colors to a soft hazy sunrise/sunset feel. Whenever I look at it, I can almost hear “Forbidden Friendship” from the How to Train Your Dragon Soundtrack playing in my head.

After much thought and prayer, I am staying on Holy Worlds. I believe what we have here is worth fighting for. PM me for details.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:06 pm 

Awwwh! :0 I won! *splutters* Thank you, guys!

(In my defense, I would have been more careful on the background, but it was late and I had hardly any light. :P )

Gretchen's wasn't considered? I made her an account so she could enter. :/ Did you guys have any comments on hers? She's been asking me nonstop if this was judged yet.

2 Corinthians 3:17 ~ Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

eleutheria - Greek for liberty

My blog:
http://exhortationsbyelizabeth.blogspot.com
A fan of my book?
http://facebook.com/wingstrilogy/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:10 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I'm sure your sister's picture was judged with the others, but only the winners got comments. Maybe some of our judges would be willing to take a few minutes and make a couple comments...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:07 am 
Captain
Captain

Congratulations, winners! :D

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:59 pm 
Captain
Captain

Congratulations, E! :D

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:56 pm 
Captain
Captain

Congratulations, E! :D

Yep, Gretchen's was judged, we just didn't write up any official comments for any of the pictures other than the winning ones. I can tell you what I thought, though, if she'd like that. I don't mind talking. :D

I had a hard time with Gretchen's and E's when I was first trying to decide between those two. Gretchen's had some lovely details (like the mottled spots), and the color choice was just as good as E's in my opinion. It didn't do as well in the blink test however – where I take a quick glance to get my impression of the image as a whole. Gretchen's wasn't as tied together as E's, and the clouds didn't go with the sky quite as well.

Some of my favorite ideas was making the riders match the dragon (though not completely, which was good), and the sun up in the corner.

If the orange had been faded into the pink less abruptly, and the clouds had been given a hint of the picture's predominant colors, and if there was a more concerted contrast between light parts and dark parts, I don't know if I would have been able to choose between it and Patrick's. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Congratulations Lady E! The golden wings caught my attention the first time I saw them: they were amazing, I thought they would win! How did you make them mottled that way?

Thank you Lady AzlynRose, Lady Sister mine, and Lady Celestria, for the Judges comments!

Zoe M. Scrivener wrote:
It left me muddled
Yes, I got a lot of ideas, and did not plan enough how I would fit them together.

I think if the smoke was thinner, and curved around opposite the dragon, it would have balanced it instead of interrupting/distracting from it (and it would have looked neater, and I could have done little tendrils branching off instead of having the words pack it tight... but I rabbit traileth).
I also could have done better patterning and shading on the dragon.

Unfortunately I thought of some of the transparency ideas after I had already started the picture. The dragon should have been only less transparent than its wings, rather than mainly solid colored. The focus should have been on the riders, which would have been really the only thing that the face behind does not appear through.
I also could have had some of the smoke tendrils come behind the riders, instead of over them like it does to everything else.

At first I was trying to make the smoke poem at least a little easy to read, but now I wish I had done the letters smaller. They could have been spaced better, and might have actually been easier to read, but more in the distance.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
I Corinthians 11:1

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

My Book on Amazon.

Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld.

One of my posts: Introducing You to Iniel (third update)

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3