Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Language Making Tips
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
So does anyone have any tips on how to go about constructing a language?

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: laguage making
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:02 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: The Running Rivers, Tall Forests, and Mighty Mountains of the Northwest
Are you a published author?: No
Here's some resources for you:

http://conlang.org/

http://zompist.com/kit.html

http://www.eskimo.com/~ram/essays.html

Also, Sir Emeth is working on a "Lexicon Manager". Essentially, it's a language program that will assist you in language development. It's not completed, however.

Redemption is to be purchased, to have a price paid. So I was redeemed from my master sin, and from justice, which demanded my death. For He paid the price of sin by becoming sin, and met the demands of justice by dying for us.

For all men have a master. But a man cannot have two masters. For he will love one and hate the other. You cannot serve God and sin. So I die to the old, as He died, and I am resurrected to the new, as He was resurrected.

Note: Ebed is Hebrew for bondsman, Eleutheros is Greek for unrestrained (not a slave).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:20 pm 
Writer
Writer

SWEET! Thanks a lot!

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:18 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
I need A LOT of help with this, too... Any idea when the Lexicon Manager will be completed? :D

My uncle kissed my hand, a peaceful expression on his face, “Goodbye Teresse.”
I slipped past the gate with Malka and ran into the forest, gazing back one last time to see the lights of my beloved city, Arenford--and the capture of my last living relative, uncle Eldon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:28 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I wasn't familiar with that last link, thanks Neil! :D

eruheran

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:02 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Hey everyone,
I just thought I'd share this link that I just found. It gives an overview of speech, where consonants are pronounced in your mouth, the difference between voiced and voiceless, in short, it gives you a pretty great overview of a whole bunch of different things relating to speech and language. It's definitely something foundational but it's helped me out a lot.

eruheran

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:24 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: The Running Rivers, Tall Forests, and Mighty Mountains of the Northwest
eruheran wrote:
Hey everyone,
I just thought I'd share this link that I just found. It gives an overview of speech, where consonants are pronounced in your mouth, the different between voiced and voiceless, in short, it gives you a pretty great overview of a whole bunch of different things relating to speech and language. It's definitely something foundational but it's helped me out a lot.

eruheran

Excellent find, eruheran! Thanks.

Redemption is to be purchased, to have a price paid. So I was redeemed from my master sin, and from justice, which demanded my death. For He paid the price of sin by becoming sin, and met the demands of justice by dying for us.

For all men have a master. But a man cannot have two masters. For he will love one and hate the other. You cannot serve God and sin. So I die to the old, as He died, and I am resurrected to the new, as He was resurrected.

Note: Ebed is Hebrew for bondsman, Eleutheros is Greek for unrestrained (not a slave).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Language Making Tips
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Here's a tip: create a phonetic system, instead of a full language. This will help a ton, and is a lot easier than a regular language. I wrote a tutorial on how to do it here.

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:24 pm 
Writer
Writer

Hello all! Some good stuff here! I have always started my language construction with a basic collection of expressions and greeting, usually based on either Anglo-Saxon or Koine Greek, being that those are the two languages I know. Learning an ancient language (be it greek or latin, greek is better,) is really helpful because you are forced to combine and parse words, which leads to very easy word/form construction in your own language. Learning one of these languages will also boost your vocabulary.
Hope I could help!

"God's sovereignty is never meant to destroy man's responsiblity." (A.W. Pink)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:59 pm 
Writer
Writer

A quick question: how would go about creating a language based on a phonetic system?

"Maids of the Valleys, we come from our heights
To dance in your forests beneath the sky's lights."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 am 
Writer
Writer

The Language Construction Kit, linked above, has a page on how to create grammar if you're already done with your phonetic system: http://zompist.com/kitgram.html

If you need any specific help, I would be happy to offer it. :) I've been conlanging and studying linguistics for several years now and I think I have a decent handle on both, even if my constructed languages are still big messes!

"For Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:42 am 
Writer
Writer

Thank you so much! And I will keep you in mind!

"Maids of the Valleys, we come from our heights
To dance in your forests beneath the sky's lights."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]