Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using Old Maps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Do you ever use old maps of places, so when you are writing an Historical novel, you can name the streets they walk through, and would be walking though during that time?

David R. Gillham said he did this when he wrote City of Women, and the thought intrigued me.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Using Old Maps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:59 pm 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
I never thought about using old maps. Do you know of any good resources for finding them? That would be a good idea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:00 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I love maps and I think using them to write historical fiction novels are a great idea. It provides a better perspective, especially if you are writing about a certain place at a time when the boundaries were different from what it is now.

I found a website that posts old maps they find from time to time. It is very interesting! http://www.bigmapblog.com/

"One should write of ordinary life as if one were writing history." Gustave Flaubert
"Writing is hard work and bad for your health." E.B. White
"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish." Robert Louis Stevenson
Writer's Block--when your imaginary friends don't talk to you.
"Creative minds are seldom tidy."
Careful--or you'll end up in my novel.

"Don't confuse wander-lust with wanting to be a missionary. There's a difference between wanting to see the World and wanting to serve it." Jamie Wright
“It takes so little to make a child happy, that it is a pity in a world full of sunshine and pleasant things, that there should be any wistful faces, empty hands, or lonely little hearts." Louisa May Alcott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:07 pm 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
Thaaat is an awesome site. 0.0

Lady Elanor wrote:
Do you ever use old maps of places, so when you are writing an Historical novel, you can name the streets they walk through, and would be walking though during that time?
I do think that if you're going to go into detail about street names and specific buildings etcetera you should be accurate about it. It's disappointing when I find out something like that in a book was actually inaccurate. :/ It's much nicer if they go to the trouble to match the place to the time.

But you don't have to be so specific if you don't want to spend as much time on research.... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Miss Elizabeth wrote:
I never thought about using old maps. Do you know of any good resources for finding them? That would be a good idea.

I don't at present, Elizabeth. I definitely would do this if I went back to my Elizabethan novel, though. So I'll let you know if I find any. :)

Idril Aravis Mimetes wrote:
I love maps and I think using them to write historical fiction novels are a great idea. It provides a better perspective, especially if you are writing about a certain place at a time when the boundaries were different from what it is now.

I found a website that posts old maps they find from time to time. It is very interesting! http://www.bigmapblog.com/

I definitely agree, Idril!

Thanks for sharing that link! Brilliant site.

Mistress Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
I do think that if you're going to go into detail about street names and specific buildings etcetera you should be accurate about it. It's disappointing when I find out something like that in a book was actually inaccurate. :/ It's much nicer if they go to the trouble to match the place to the time.

But you don't have to be so specific if you don't want to spend as much time on research.... :)

*Nods* I think I'd be more disappointed though if I found out that all the streets used were made up. Even if every street you name isn't accurate, adding a few in that are is surely a nice touch, don't you think?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]