Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Space Dragons (Edit #3.5)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:48 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
'Sup peoples! I was editing this post over on SF but then realized that things have changed so very much since I've been around and figured I should post the topic over here if I actually wanted y'all to see it. Since this is a pre-existing topic, I'm already on the 2nd edit of it (edits mainly being adding information). It's been a while since I first created my space dragons, so I'm re-familiarizing myself with them a bit and also mixing their story with two other stories I've had in my head for a while. I've still got some stuff to write up since I lost the Word document that had some stuff already written up in it (I think it might've been lost when my external drive died :bawl: -- here's to hoping my brother can save it!). Anywho, lemme know if you have thoughts/suggestions/questions :)

SIDE NOTE: Most of this is first draft stuff so it hasn't been edited for clarity :P lemme know if something's confusing and I'll try and explain it better.

Table of Contents:

- Types
-- Galaxy Dragons
-- Star Dragons
-- Planet Dragons
-- Ki'dagh and Mush'akhr
- Description
- Purpose
- Star Swallowers
- A Dragon's Sense of Time
- Dragons' History with Humanity
- Ki'dagh
-- Water Ki'dagh
-- Air Ki'dagh
-- Earth Ki'dagh
-- Fire Ki'dagh
- Mush'akh COMING SOON
- Sh'vekh COMING SOON
- Alternative Life Terminals (ALTs) ADDED
- Human Knowledge MOVED/TO BE UPDATED
- Soul Harvesters COMING SOON
- How to Kill a Space Dragon MOVED

EDIT #1:
Edited Star Swallowers. Added How to Kill A Space Dragon, A Dragon's Sense of Time, and Human Knowledge

EDIT #2:
Added more reference images, Added Planet Dragons, Edited Purpose, Added Dragons' History with Humanity

EDIT #3:
Changed name of Kaji to Ki'dagh, Added Ki'dagh and Mush'akh to Types, Edited A Dragon's Sense of Time, Added Ki'dagh

EDIT #3.5: UPDATE IN PROGRESS
Moved How to Kill A Space Dragon and Human Knowledge, Added Alternative Life Terminals (ALTs)

Types:

Galaxy Dragons
-- S'gidis Dragon
-- S'leira Dragon
-- Ma'gir Dragon
-- Atzerga Dragon

Reference Images: Icons of Four Types, Examples of Four Types

Star Dragons
-- Omav Dragon
-- Bet Dragon
-- Alef Dragon
-- Phi Dragon
-- Gima Dragon
-- Kofa Dragon
-- Mem Dragon

Reference Images: Size and Luminosity Comparison, Size Comparison, Life of a Star, Color Chart

Planet Dragons
-- Hot Terrans
-- Warm Terrans
-- Cold Terrans
-- Hot Gas Giants
-- Warm Gas Giants
-- Cold Gas Giants

Reference Images: Planets in Our Solar System, Stars and Planets

Ki'dagh and Mush'akh
-- Water Ki'dagh
-- Air Ki'dagh
-- Earth Ki'dagh
-- Fire Ki'dagh
-- Ice Mush'akh
-- Storm Mush'akh
-- Wood Mush'akh
-- Metal Mush'akh
-- Lava Mush'akh
-- Acid Mush'akh

Reference Images: Element Chart

Description:

To clear something up right away, space dragons look like Asian dragons, not European dragons. The dragons are born in star nurseries/factories because they form around a star that eventually becomes their heart. They begin large and then, at maturity, have shrunk down to the size they will be for most of their life. As they age, they gradually get smaller. The dragons are classified to their heart star. Red or blue supergiants are the largest dragons and are either cold or hot in relation to their color.

In actuality, the dragons have no color unless it is the color of their starlight. The gravitational pull of the star within draws in asteroids and such that eventually become the dragon's outer armor. Before this armor is collected, when a dragon is very, very young, you would find that the dragon's skin is actually quite thin and you can see the star burning within. The star can, occasionally, be seen through cracks in their armor. As a dragon advances in age, they grow smaller and smaller, eventually becoming a white or brown dwarf dragon. As they near death, a space dragon becomes a black dragon and their star within loses all light and heat. But a space dragon is not supposed to die in this way.

Additional Image References:
DeviantArt [image]
DeviantArt [image]
DeviantArt [image]
[image]
[image]

Purpose:

The space dragons were created to spread out the universe. As their heart is a star, they are tasked with traveling until they find the perfect spot - the spot designated by the Creator - to form a solar system. The dragon then inhabits their heart and their body, caked with rocks and other spatial debris, breaks apart and orbits around the dragon's heart eventually forming planets. The dragon then becomes the orbital guide of their solar system.

The largest dragon, the galaxy dragons, were the first. Their hearts form the center of galaxies, the nucleus; a black hole where the galaxy dragon lives on and on herding its star children. There are only a few kinds of galaxy dragons; elliptical, spiral, circle and barred. Each dragon forms the corresponding type of galaxy. From the broken bits of the galaxy dragon, star dragons are born. The children of galaxy dragons, these star dragons then fill their parent's world with solar systems.

When star dragons eventually become stars, similar to their galaxy parent, they release the broken pieces of their body into space. As the star dragon collapses, not only are these pieces release, but small portions of the dragon's heart (star) are also released. These pieces of heart become the heart of planetary dragons and (again) the broken pieces of the parent form around their children. These children cannot leave the gravitational pull of their parent and, after collecting all (or most of) the pieces surrounding their parent, increase the gravitational pull of their heart to form into planets. The size and type of planet formed depends on what and how much they collected from their parent's remains.

Planet dragons also have children, but each planet is different and the desire of the planet dragon is responsible for what kind of nature and creatures are formed. The eldest children are the elements who gave birth to nature. The second children are living things that roam the planet surface. Not all planets have the desire and persistence to create second children so they are less common.

All dragons and dragon children are known as Dragonhearts.

Humanity was not created through the desire of it's Terran Dragon parent. If was a gift to their parent from the Creator. Because they are not born of a dragon, and due their actions of the past, humanity became known as the Heartless.

Star Swallowers:

Not all dragons fulfill their given purpose. There are fallen dragons dubbed star swallowers. These dragons never turn into stars, but roam space and devour their siblings to live longer. When a star is swallowed, the dragon within the star joins the star swallower's consious, though it is not the primary conscious... more like having a second voice in your head. The star swallower houses all swallowed stars separately. For every star the star swallower swallows, another conscious and another star is added. Also, for every extra star, the length of the star swallower is increased in accordance to the size of the star swallowed.

The star swallowers eventually go crazy from so many voices in their head. Half-mad, the star swallowers begin to devour everything, planet or star, and eventually die from indigestion (*grins*). This version of death ends in a supernova. Some star swallowers are able to contain their hunger, or cannot find a star they can swallow soon enough, and die like a normal star dragon, eventually becoming a black dwarf dragon. Others, if driven hungry for lack of a star will turn cannibalistic and actually tear the heart-star out of a star dragon. Dragon fights are slow, majestic horrors to watch.

A Dragon's Sense of Time:

Space Dragons do not view time in the same way we do. It still passes the same for them, but since they live for so long a year for us is like hours to them, a month like seconds. This means that space dragons are quite slow in their movements. You may see them coming for decades while they only feel like a a day has gone by. But, like any creature, space dragons have different speeds. Their normal, slow drifting would be something like a walk. If agitated they can increase to a run. Their slow movements make it easier for humans to kill them, but an angry dragon will speed up and a wounded dragon will be quicker to cause damage.

This sense of time scales with each dragon type in accordance with the scaling of their life spans. Planet Dragons live much shorted lives compared to those of their ancestral Galaxy Dragons.

Dragons' History with Humanity:

Though humanity may have forgotten, the dragons of their Terran parent have never forgotten the Age of Captivity. It is because of their actions during that time that the dragons named them Heartless and created a rift between dragons and humans ever since. It all began with a man of Terran who discovered, some said he was shown, a spell of binding. This spell worked on only the first children of Terra; the Elemental Dragons. It bound them to the one who cast the spell and to human form.

Their human form was accomplished through the sacrifice of two humans; one male and one female (it was tried with only one human, but the spell never worked). The spell removed the dragon's heart from their elemental form as well as the soul from the two humans. The dragon's heart would replace the soul in one of the humans, the other human would die. These bound dragons were the first dragonhearted humans and were known as Ki'Dagh. They were bound to do anything in their power to defend, protect, and obey their summoner and master, but would also be released if their master ever died.

The first human king to gain knowledge of this spell killed the man who discovered it and then used his entire nation to create an army. The temptation of becoming dragonhearted was enough to convince them to listen him and though he gained a powerful army, half of his population was lost just in the creation of the army. He conquered many lands, but eventually died from old age and his entire army was released the moment of his death. Because of this sudden disappearance, the king became a legend and a warning for many years after his death.

Legends don't always stop people though. Decades later, the spell was rediscovered. With history only partially on their minds, humanity placed limits on how the spell might be used, but did not outlaw the use of it completely.

Ki'dagh:

The Ki’dagh are human bodies containing the heart of a First Child (Elemental Dragon). They are not immortal, but have long life spans in accordance with the life of an Elemental Dragon (which is almost as long as the life of the plant they were born to).

There are only two ways to release a Ki’dagh. One is if their master dies, whether they are killed or die from other means, when no longer live the hearts of the Ki’dagh return to being Elemental Dragons. The human bodies retain their physical state and instantly die. The second way is for a Ki’dagh to be killed. This is, of the two, the worse way for a Elemental Dragon to return to their natural state. When the dragon is release in the first way, they retain all of their knowledge and power. When released the second way, the dragon is reduced to the state of being newborn and it will take them years if not centuries to regain their power.

Beyond the diminishing of their power, the other reason why killing is the worse way to release a Ki’dagh is that the Elemental Dragons are tied closely with the existence of the elements themselves. As the collective power and presence of Elemental Dragons wanes, the elements themselves falter.

When humanity first appeared, the Elemental Dragons had already had many years to grow up and create a home for both humans and animals (the second children). By reducing the number of Elemental Dragons and eventually their overall power, humanity was at fault for the inevitable ravaging of their planet. The oceans shrank, the air turned against them, mountains broke and fell, and the forests died by the acre.

Of all the elemental dragons, only four kinds have ever been summoned successfully. The summonable elements are: water, air, earth, and fire. Each kind of Ki’dagh had limited (in relation to their natural state) control over the corresponding element. The only way to expand the amount of control was for the Ki’dagh to mate which produced the Mush’agh; the Perfected Beings.

Upon entering a human body, the Elemental Dragon’s heart would change the appearance of their new form. This change varied from each elemental type and is described below.

Water Ki'dagh
Appearance: pale, almost deathly skin that is either colorless or blue tinged and damp to the touch at all times. The best way to describe their hair would be noodle-like. It is white, occasionally drips water, and is curly in most instances. The scent of salt and the ocean waves surrounds them. Their eyes are a brilliant blue color, like that of the sky on a clear day.
Power: all liquid states of water are under their control.

Air Ki'dagh
Appearance: permanently, lightly tanned skin that is never damp or overly oily. White, puffy hair with intense curls that occasionally moves of its own volition. There is always a freshness around them and the scent of pure and open air. They have pale, almost white eyes that are hard to look at as they seem flat and soulless.
Power: any state of the wind that is not created by combining with the other elements.

Earth Ki'dagh
Appearance: dark, blackish-brown skin that is rough to the touch and occasionally sheds dirt when they move. Raven hair that is silky smooth, always grows to long, appears to be soft but is amazingly brittle. The scent of dirt and earth is always present around them. Their eyes are a deep forest green that similar to a pine tree’s needles.
Power: all the way from solid rock to loose dirt.

Fire Ki'dagh
Appearance: mid-toned skin, lightly tanned, with black marks (similar to freckles) all over it and on the whole, warm to the touch (it get’s hotter as their emotions grow stronger). Their hair is flaming red and at times seems singed on the ends. The scent of smoke and summer camp fires follows them. They have brilliant, golden eyes that look like raging suns set in their head.
Power: any flame that burns or can be created.

Mush'akh: COMING SOON

Sh'vekh: COMING SOON

Alternative Life Terminals (ALTs): ADDED

As humanity and their technology progressed, they developed a way to bind Elemental Dragons to technology instead of to humans. These artificial bodies were known as Alternative Life Terminals or ALTs. This technology was made possible through the cooperation of friendly Ki’dagh and their research/scientist masters. The technology also opened up plausibility of human accessible ALTs which would allow for humans to lead longer lives.

Initially, the technology was crude and unable to move, being practically a box on a table. As time went on and it was developed further, it could move on its own and additional functions were added regularly. Eventually, it reached the point of looking and working just like a human. It was at this point that humans could finally stand the idea of being placed inside of one.

Since the technology of the ALTs was based on the idea of binding a soul, it wasn’t too hard for the technology to be adapted for human use. The use of Human ALTs (HALTs) took advantage of the superior physical strength of an ALT over a human’s. When the military learned of the technology, they pushed for it to be developed further, to the point where human souls (some said consciousness’) could be inserted as well as removed from ALTs. HALTs became the military’s new weapon.

The technology meant that Ki’dagh could become practically immortal (it was now much harder to kill them), but they would still only exist as long as their masters did. Given how useful the Ki’dagh were in the creation of many scientific discoveries, human scientists were determined to discover a way of keeping the Ki’dagh bound to their ALTs permanently.

Human Knowledge: MOVED/TO BE UPDATED

The amount that humans know about space dragons is amazingly small. Beyond knowing that they exist and consume stars, humans only other knowledge is how to kill them. They don't realize that their own sun was once a dragon, or that not all dragons swallow stars. The idea that their galaxy's heart was once a dragon isn't even plausible in their minds. At the moment, all space dragons are treated as predators and, as mentioned above, are killed as soon as possible.

There were, however, two scientists, Jordan Roberts and his wife Kathy G. Roberts, who were committed to the study of space dragons. Kathy was technologically brilliant and was always inventing new ways to find, trace, and encounter space dragons. Jordan on the other hand was the most knowledgeable human on the subject of space dragons. Together, Jordan and Kathy were present at quite a few dragon encounters (this was after the development of the supernova shield, which Kathy had a large hand in developing).

Sadly, both scientists died while observing the only dragon fight ever recorded, after which the victorious star swallower ate their ship. They left behind a teenage daughter, Dorothy Mae Roberts, who was sent to an orphanage pre-chosen by her parents in the event of their death (the idea of death was very apparent when working with space dragons). All of the Robert's research was collected by the GSA (Galactic Science Association).

Soul Harvesters: COMING SOON

How to Kill a Space Dragon: MOVED

Though some may object, space dragons are normally killed if sighted by humans. This is done through the use of laser created for cutting through asteroids. Since space dragon armor is literally asteroids, the lasers can easily cut through the armor and reach the dragon's skin below. As mentioned above, the dragon's skin is quite thin and barely holds the star within, the armor adds extra strength. Once through to the skin, laser can easily cut the dragon's skin causing great pain and breaking the delicate seal that keeps the star within.

The heart-star's energy flows through the cut, expanding it, and, if there is enough energy, creating a supernova. This normally results in the destruction of the ship that killed the space dragon. That is, it did until a shield was developed that could withstand a supernova. Actual encounters with space dragons are semi-rare. Space is big.

As mentioned above, star dragons sometimes have to fight off star swallowers. Their battles are always destructive to nearby planets and star dragons in the process of being born. Normally, even if the star dragons wins, the only way to stop the star swallower is to kill it, causing a supernova that kills the victorious space dragon as well.

I am Lady Vilisse Mimetes. Humble servant of the Lord our God and warrior in His name. Though my actions are feeble and prone to failure, I shall never falter in my call. I am pledged to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
My name is outward proof of my promise to follow, closer and closer, the words and will of my Lord and Father.

note:
Vilisse is Quenya for a person's spirit or general personality.
Mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

and so my spirit is one of a follower

Visit my revived, er.... dead blog! RSSharkey

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Space Dragons
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:57 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Male
I love these. They are incredible.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:18 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Are you a published author?: Yes
Are there moon dragons? Do the elemental dragons have stars of a sort?

I have a race of evil beings that is created by a similar ritual of human sacrifice and body possession. :D

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:43 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

The planet dragon is more of a celestial body dragon, thus the moon would fall under that category of dragon. Asteroids and other such matter are pieces of the star dragon's body that were not absorbed by the planet dragons.

Each child dragon is born around a piece of their parent, so yes, the elemental dragons house a piece of star within them. You could refer to it as their soul since it is what houses their being. It is similar with the second children of the planet dragons, but their souls/hearts are of a slightly lower level. If you were to rank the power of souls this is how it would go:
-- Galaxy Dragons
-- Star Dragons
-- Planet Dragons
-- Elemental Dragons
-- Humans*
-- Secondary Children

* yes, humans rank above the secondary children, this is partially why the spell of binding does not work on the secondary children. You can't expect a lesser soul to take the place of a greater one.

I am Lady Vilisse Mimetes. Humble servant of the Lord our God and warrior in His name. Though my actions are feeble and prone to failure, I shall never falter in my call. I am pledged to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
My name is outward proof of my promise to follow, closer and closer, the words and will of my Lord and Father.

note:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:28 pm 
Captain
Captain

I really love the imagery of space elements being dragons. :D

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Space Dragons (Edit #3)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:18 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

EDIT #3:
Changed name of Kaji to Ki'dagh, Added Ki'dagh and Mush'akh to Types, Edited A Dragon's Sense of Time, Added Ki'dagh

note:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:48 pm 
Captain
Captain

Do the Ki'dagh have personalities and a mind of their own in their servitude, or are they essentially zombies?

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:10 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

They're not zombies ;)

The Ki'dagh do indeed have intelligence and personalities. Most of their emotions are obscured by rage. A rage that cannot be fulfilled for they desire with all of their being to destroy the one who bound them. The spell of binding prevents them from doing this, but some have alternative ways of causing their master's downfall. Whether it be ignoring a possible threat or "unintentionally" creating an opening for an enemy to pass through.

Many Ki'dagh choose instead to focus their rage on the enemies of their master (because that is the easiest thing to do and a way of release). Others become suicidal as they cannot stand to be contained in human form, but another part of the spell keeps them from any purposeful self harm ("unintentional" self harm can still be caused, such as if they were to protect their master with the result being their death).

There are a small few who are able to calm their rage and choose to live as Ki'dagh feeling as that is what/where they are meant to be. These Ki'dagh are the ones who became friends with humans, while a piece of their heart still hated them to it's core, and bore the Mush'akh as their children.

note:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:05 am 
Captain
Captain

Does jumping off a cliff to save someone you pushed count as self harm? :D

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:58 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Hehe, well, it all depends on how the Ki'dagh sees it. As long as the Ki'dagh believes that they are saving their master, they can do as they wish. They can't just willy-nilly attempt to kill humans though, for your hypothetical situation to work, the person they pushed would either need to have a reason to be pushed or someone else would have had to push them.

note:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Space Dragons (Edit #3.5)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:46 pm 
Captain
Captain

Ah. So they can't consciously try to cheat the system.

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Space Dragons (Edit #3.5)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:53 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
This is really good i like the idea of the space dragons. Particularly their purpose of basically spreading out the universe. I also think it is cool that there are different types the galaxy ones and planet ones..

2 Timothy 4:7
I have Fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the Faith.

Works Finished: The Withering Chronicles: Book 1

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]