Login | Register

Post subject: I need a riding beast!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:11 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Doing Camp Nano, and writing about a youth Sangrean Games team. One of the events is riding a beast. Sort of like horse racing and jumping combined in the event, but on a sci-fi setting so would prefer a non-horse. Thoughts?

The only other beast I've used in stories is a blagy, a shaggy fur cow type thing that stand as tall as a human adult.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I need a riding beast!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Are you writing in "this world," or are we allowed to invent anything we want? :dieshappy:

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:00 am 
Writer
Writer

Human dominated space, 3000 years or so into the future. I take the stance that humans were created as uniquely sentient life-forms and they have spread over the galaxy. Other planets, however, have been given different life forms based on planetary biodiversity, geology, and chemistry.

So, something fast, admirable, and not so different that a person would have to think hard to understand it. make sense?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:58 pm 
Writer
Writer

A wolf-dragon.

(Because no one uses dragons in sci-fi and there is no rule explicitly saying that they must be forever marooned in the fantasy genre. And technically they could be also used in historical fiction...)

Anyway.

Quote:
The wolf-dragon is indeed one of the mythical beasts brought back from the brink of being extinct by a group similar to those in Jurassic Park. Quite simply, they had no idea what they were doing. Filling in the gaps in the dragon DNA with wolf genes, they expected a dramatic combination of speed and scale-y, flame-y stuff. Instead, what resulted was a much smaller dragon than their previous tests (but we won't talk about those!) that was, you guessed it, about the size of a wolf. Unfortunately, the beast's DNA lacked the genetic material for wings, but it makes up for the lack of flight with incredible speed (to which the reduced wind resistance due to scales and not fur contributes) and an even more incredible sense of smell, being able to follow a scent a week and a half old.

But yes, it breathes fire.

I just used the one-in-a-million chance, so we're out of that too. - Trajectory

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford

Unless we do the good that we could, we will neither see, nor ever be, what we should. - K.L.B.

Could smoke from the grill be indicative of razing the steaks?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:28 pm 

DoodleWriter wrote:
(Because no one uses dragons in sci-fi and there is no rule explicitly saying that they must be forever marooned in the fantasy genre. And technically they could be also used in historical fiction...)

Umm ... Anne McCaffrey's Pern series explicitly identifies itself as science fiction. (Admittedly, she started the series in an era when science fiction was seen as semi-respectable but fantasy was much less so, and many people including the most prominent SF magazine editors thought that psychic phenomena were "hard science" that had been confirmed by repeatable experiments, but just about everything in the worldbuilding of Pern has an nominally scientific explanation.)

My suggestion for a beast to ride is a giant bear.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:50 am 
Writer
Writer

A giant Snow Leopard Panda. That would be awesome!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you a published author?: Yes
I love the idea of using a giant wild cat or dog! :D Very majestic, other-worldly enough to be intriguing, yet still an animal we have a real-world grasp on, even if in a modified form.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile