Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Irregular Orbits and Atmospheres
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:02 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
I have several planets that need to be mostly dark, but still lit. While I can solve the problems of days by having the sky very overcast through the day, I need longer nights. And I would like the night sky to be mostly clear. The races inhabiting these planets are very technologically advanced, so I am interested in a halfway plausible reason for this.

As much as I love astronomy, I'm at a loss here...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

"Maids of the Valleys, we come from our heights
To dance in your forests beneath the sky's lights."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Irregular Orbits and Atmospheres
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:05 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
You could have them be farther from their sun so that the light reaching them is less intense.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:26 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Not sure if there's any way to make the nights longer than the days since a longer night on one side of the planet means a longer day on the other side... :/

To have a darker daytime, try having a brown dwarf for them to orbit ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Dwarf ). Or, if you want an "official" star, go for a red dwarf star. Both types of stars are fairly dim, and if you combine it with Varon's suggestion, could solve the problem quite nicely.

Works in Progress:
The Capstone - 97,000 Words (Fourth Draft), In Planning Phase
Currently Unnamed - In Plotting Phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 am 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
If you have less light, the planet will be colder, and if it's much colder than earth it won't be easily habitable, if that makes any difference to your plans.

Also, having cloud cover during the day and less during the night would also contribute to a cold temperature.

But as far as I can think, Varon's and Aratrea's suggestions are the only ways to make a planet darker, other than just giving it a super-thick atmosphere or constant cloud cover – that might work too. I don't think it fits with how you want it to be though.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]