Login | Register

Post subject: I like worldbuilding but not so much storytelling...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:19 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
I've found that I like building the epic histories of my worlds, but as soon as I sit down for "next scene!" my writing motivation tanks. "But the next scene is boring..." "several scenes from now we fight a dragon... but now we're... drawing water from a well. Hmph."
How should I resolve this?
Things I've considered:
If the scenes are boring, why am I writing them? Well, internal voice in my head, it's because of CHARACTER development. I have to spend some scenes making readers care about this guy before the dragon eats him. But maybe I should work slower, and map out my scenes first, so I know what scenes I need and what I don't?
Maybe I'm in the wrong genre. Maybe short stories would be better for me. You know, maybe this is right. "Fire Squat" (shameless plug for my now complete Fireside story) did go pretty well.
Maybe I should suck it up and write the non-epic scenes? Okay, fine, I'll log off HW and go write for real...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I like worldbuilding but not so much storytelling...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:50 pm 
Writer
Writer

If a scene doesn't move the story forward it doesn't make the cut. Period.

I will sometimes write scenes to work things out in my head and to see what details I need to be aware of as an author, the books I'm reading say not to write the parts the readers will skip. Write the scenes that show the characters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:13 am 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
If I might suggest, take a moment to read a few chapters of Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens. Some things to note:

1. Each chapter is short and tells a stand-alone story that advances the larger plot.

2. Dickens bridges across the in-between stuff with a short paragraph that sets up the story in THIS chapter, or just ignores it to allow the reader to fill in the trivial details between the interesting parts.

3. Each chapter has a climax, often centered on dialogue, that serves to convey all of the character development that you need in the context of a moment of immediate crisis.

In essence, a Dickens novel is a string of related short stories each 1 chapter long. It is a model that might work for you. Now you just need to outline a series of interesting events to write about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Side note, but if you like worldbuilding so much, you might consider offering to help other writers with their worldbuilding. Not everyone is as good at it, or enjoys it as much, so some might appreciate the help fleshing out their history. You could offer it on a place like Simbi and trade it for services you want. It's probably the kind of thing I would buy with credits on Simbi.

Other side note, you should consider alternative methods of storytelling, ones that are more focused on worldbuilding--such as developing an RPG, background development for a computer game, etc.

I am not saying "don't work on your storytelling"--you should still seek to grow and improve--but that, if you enjoy something, you should look for new ways to apply it. Do what you love, and make it work for you, instead of working against it.

As for the issue at hand, if a scene bores you, then there's probably something fundamentally wrong with it. Even the character development and transition scenes should not be painful. Either it should be in the story, or you're approaching them wrong. Sometimes we writers do have to slog through difficult passages, but often, we need to trust our gut instinct. If we don't enjoy a scene, there's a very good chance there's a reason that our internal sense of story is trying to tell us.

Try this: Go through one of your current novels, and write a new plot summary, taking out every scene you don't feel like writing. What do you have left? You might be surprised that you actually have a good story left, just one with all the boring filler cut out.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm 
Writer
Writer

...* does not remember telling Aubrey he is/has been developing an RPG *...
Thanks for the good advisement. I think the scenes are not so much boring for a reader as they are boring for myself (boring to write). I enjoy writing the dramatic conclusion vastly more than I enjoy writing everything that makes that conclusion worth reading.
I will give some consideration to the "helping with worldbuilding" notion.

Offline Profile