Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our Deep Character Fractalling System
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
PrincessoftheKing wrote:
Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
Bravo! Post it in the HWEF! ;)

I'll post some of it soon! :) I don't think I'll post the whole thing, though. I'm not sure that I want everyone on the internet to be able to see it.

Not every one will be able to see it. Not even all of the members of HW will be able to see it. It is like giving a hard copy to your friends.

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:17 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: The Running Rivers, Tall Forests, and Mighty Mountains of the Northwest
Are you a published author?: No
Jay, in order to get a further understanding of your system, I'm building the fractal map in the bubbl.us 2.0 beta. I hope you don't mind.

I just re-read through the fractalling system, and I've decided to send a character through, when I'm finished with fractal map. Even just working on the fractal map has really changed the way I think about my characters.

Redemption is to be purchased, to have a price paid. So I was redeemed from my master sin, and from justice, which demanded my death. For He paid the price of sin by becoming sin, and met the demands of justice by dying for us.

For all men have a master. But a man cannot have two masters. For he will love one and hate the other. You cannot serve God and sin. So I die to the old, as He died, and I am resurrected to the new, as He was resurrected.

Note: Ebed is Hebrew for bondsman, Eleutheros is Greek for unrestrained (not a slave).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Neil of Erk wrote:
Jay, in order to get a further understanding of your system, I'm building the fractal map in the bubbl.us 2.0 beta. I hope you don't mind.

I just re-read through the fractalling system, and I've decided to send a character through, when I'm finished with fractal map. Even just working on the fractal map has really changed the way I think about my characters.

Sounds good!

Ah yes, just seeing the possible depth of your characters helps you get a perspective on them that you wouldn't have before.

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:06 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I just finished character fractalling my secondary MC! Woohoo! Let me tell you, it's a really long system, but it's worth going through. I wrote the first chapter in my book and then found this thread. I haven't written a word on the book after I started fractalling but the story has progressed well just from fractalling. These questions really open insights into a character.

I'm telling you guys, this character that I fractalled was barely even in my first edition of the story, but after I fractalled her she is way deeper and more 3-Dimensional. She's definitely going to have a way bigger role in the rewrite I'm working on.

Seriously, fractal your characters before you write your story, or at least before your second draft. It helps improve your plot immensely and know things about your character that even you didn't know!

So yeah, I just finished Numaryá, and now I'm starting on Zaciré. My final fractalling for Numaryá was twenty-two pages and took me about two weeks...and I'm hoping to finish Zaciré's by July tenth, now that I'm familiar with the system and what to expect.

Compliments to the Lausers for figuring this whole thing out...it's helped me out immensely in my writing, even more than the essence system!

eruheran

P.S. I might post some of it in the HWRF when I have time...

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment. Twenty-two pages... wow. Haha.

We would love to see what you came up with. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:26 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Yeah...I've been working on it for the past two weeks straight. Whew! But man, it was worth it!

I'll try to post it in the Google Docs folder later today.

eruheran

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:16 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Mine took me about two weeks as well, but it's not 22 pages! I'm very impressed! I would love to see some of it sometime - hopefully I'll be able to get on the google docs folder soon. :)

"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."
~Mark Twain~

Works in Progress:

Note:
Abigail is Hebrew for joy of the Father, and Mimetes is Greek for imitator or follower. I am a joyful follower of my King and Father, the Creator of all things.
I stand in support of Jay, for he is my brother in Christ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:52 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Well, I didn't actually WANT to go in depth for this character...her name's Numaryá and she was only a minor character, but after doing this I got so into her character that she's now one of the two MC's! And I cringe to think of how big the Character Fractalling will be for my other MC, Zaciré....since I have tons of ideas about him!

eruheran

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:36 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That happened to me too... Ciarra was only going to be a minor character, but after I fractalled her, she was just too good to not be a MC!

"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."
~Mark Twain~

Works in Progress:

Note:
Abigail is Hebrew for joy of the Father, and Mimetes is Greek for imitator or follower. I am a joyful follower of my King and Father, the Creator of all things.
I stand in support of Jay, for he is my brother in Christ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:36 pm 
Captain
Captain

I have started this system with Flint Romero, the character for an unstarted Western novel. I must say it really forces the author to think about their character.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:19 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

It took me only a few days (and many hours) to finally finish my first Character! :) I did get stuck on a question or two that I should probably think a bit more on and maybe change what I wrote, but overall, it was pretty cool! :) I know a TON more about my MC now! :)

"The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book."
-Samuel Johnson

Follow Pathaar; give Him your life,
He’ll lead you from the present strife.
Become his weapon, the gilded knife,
Be his music, the rhythmic fife.

Serenade: 31,256 words

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Wow, this really makes you think! I also, spent many a day on my MC... she is ALOT more complex now, and I got a more solid vision of my plot now! This was amazing Sir. Emeth! :D :)

My uncle kissed my hand, a peaceful expression on his face, “Goodbye Teresse.”
I slipped past the gate with Malka and ran into the forest, gazing back one last time to see the lights of my beloved city, Arenford--and the capture of my last living relative, uncle Eldon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:20 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I think I'm going to run a character through this so I have a better idea of what I'm going to write about for NaNoWriMo this year. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out! :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Well, y'all, I just finished fractalling my MC, Zaciré, which means that now my actual writing can start going ahead full-steam! :D Anyways, if anyone wants to read it (it's shorter than the other one) here is the link. :D

eruheran

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:28 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Smacking my rascally MC and wanting fish and chips.
This is great! Thanks, this will help me tons in my writing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:54 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Smacking my rascally MC and wanting fish and chips.
I just may beat your record Eruheran, if I get the chance to work on it! :) Whew, Dani is a handful! And I have at least 5 other characters that need it... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 pm 
Captain
Captain

I am nearly done with step two for Aidan Romero, then I still need to do it for Lance before NaNo.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:44 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Wow. Reading this thread is like reading a landing page for an e-book, or the promotional blurbs on a Writer's Digest page. Considered selling that fractalling system, Jay? :rofl:

That said, I have two words for this system.

Hungarian Rhapsody.

Don't worry, I will explain. I printed it out, as did many other people. I did the first two steps and came to a screeching halt. I asked Jenni for one of her fractalls to try and understand it. I printed that out. I put them side by side and started to read through both to understand it. It's complicated. Really complicated. And it continued to get more complicated. And it kept going. And got harder. And after every step I was like, "Whew, almost there," and no. It kept going. And it got harder. This is where I started thinking Hungarian Rhapsody and started flipping ahead to see just how long this thing is...

See, there's this piano piece both my dad and I want to learn to play. It's the Hungarian Rhapsody by Franz List. Every time we try to play it the same thing happens. We sit down and play half of the first page. Then you stumble and growl through the next page and a half. (turn the page.) Drop out the left hand and kind of plunk out the melody noting the parts you need to practice. (turn the page) It gets harder, but that's okay, this part's easier, you can add back in the left hand... (turn the page) It's getting harder. You stop playing and turn to the last page to play the ending but... it keeps going. And it gets harder. (turn the page) It's still going!!! And it's even harder! And you think, surely this is the end, and you turn the page... and it's still going! And it's getting even harder! And you're thinking, "This is worse than a Chopin Polonaise! This is worse than playing Beethoven's "Rage over a Lost Penny" all the way through! This is worse than that road to get cheese!"

Second example: The Amishman who makes the grass-fed cheese that we resell lives about two hours away. Every month or two someone has to drive down there and pick it up. They live waaaay out in the middle of nowhere, if you think you can get from the last big town to their place without stopping for gas you're likely to end up in trouble. But that's okay, I live in the middle of nowhere. So you drive down this highway, and you turn onto a back road and you think "almost there." So you drive along for about five miles and the road forks and gets narrower. Oh well, this is the middle of nowhere, after all, and you're probably almost there. well, no, three miles later you crest a hill and the pavement is cracking and you have to drive really slow. But you've got to be almost there, right? No, you come around a curve and the road gets worse. And it goes on and on, and gets worse and worse. Until you begin to wonder if you missed the sign. Until you wonder if you're on a loggers trail heading for the bottom of a river. Until you think the road couldn't possibly get worse, and it does. And your cellphone doesn't have service (because this is the middle of nowhere) and you can't get a hold of your dad, and you're wondering if you should turn around before you run out of gas and you think, "This is just like Jay's character fractalling system!"

Because, you see, I have this friend who- wait. You know that story. :D

Floyd was frozen where he stood. He struggled to breathe, but the air smelled of blood and death and guilt. He tried to formulate a name, to ask, but language was meaningless, and words would not come. He tried to scream but the sound got stuck in his heart, shattered into a million pieces, and scattered to the wind.

In a world without superheroes, who will stand against the forces of evil?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:06 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

You. Are. Hilarious.

What friend, what story? :)

Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo
(A star shines on the hour of our meeting)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:28 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Seconded. :D

:rofl: :D :rofl:

eruheran

P.S. Jay...where's that update, eh? :D

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next