Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our Deep Character Fractalling System
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
I just finished putting a character all the way through (for the first time) yesterday. It took me two days of some fairly solid work, and it's about 15 pages long. The only thing I haven't done are the essence maps - I have to look up the directions and start from the beginning with those.

I found it extremely helpful to developing, above all, my MC's worldview. I understand his personality, his problems, and his strengths. I know where he's coming from - so I can decide where he's going. In fact, I found step 7, which all the "physical" things, to be the hardest and least useful step. The process was truly about exploring mentality for me.

I will definitely be putting other characters through the system, especially when I can't decide what their arc is.

This particular character was the MC from my NaNo novel, and it was a helpful way to expand the work without over-planning and losing my steam in a plot synopsis.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:31 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Odd, I never thought of the CFS as complex. It is simply a long string of questions. :)

I do understand about its ponderous length, though. I have felt the exact same thing.

A neat tip that I gave myself and am testing (it is working well so far), is to work on multiple characters at once. Set them in a row, and do the first and second step of the first character. Then do the first step of the second character. Then the third step of the first character, the second step of the second character, and the first step of the third character. And so on.

That keeps the ball rolling better, I think. :)

Oh, and I made an edit to the first stage. I removed the 6th step (who needs multiple essence maps anyways?), and inserted a new step between the first and second steps. Here it is:

"What does your character cry about? What does he dream about? What does he think about?"

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:52 pm 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: No
No more essence maps? Hurrah! I'm on step three or four with Aidan Romero, and step 1.2 on Lance Juno.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:04 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sir, everything you do is complex. :)

There are people in the world who don't think that the Hungarian Rhapsody is that complex either. :rofl:

Floyd was frozen where he stood. He struggled to breathe, but the air smelled of blood and death and guilt. He tried to formulate a name, to ask, but language was meaningless, and words would not come. He tried to scream but the sound got stuck in his heart, shattered into a million pieces, and scattered to the wind.

In a world without superheroes, who will stand against the forces of evil?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:15 pm 
Writer
Writer

Hullo all. ;) I'm new here.

Oh this is interesting. And a life-saver. As someone who generally depends on her characters more then anything else to make her story good, I need my characters to be as in-depth as they can get. I'm currently working on my MC (working as fast as I can to get it done before NaNo) and then my villain, and if I have time some of my other characters. If I don't I'll just take them at least through the first and/or second part.

As it stands right now I could probably pull off a decent story with the characters I have as they are now. But this...

...this just takes it to a whole new level. :D

Currently writing:

Atlantis (Science Fiction, writing stage)
The Girl on the Swing (Steampunk Fantasy, revision stage)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:17 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I like listening to the Hungarian Rhapsody but I haven't been able to find more than a part of it as sheet music before. ;)

...random...I know...

Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo
(A star shines on the hour of our meeting)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:24 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Smacking my rascally MC and wanting fish and chips.
I haven't sent any of my characters completely through, but wow. I might have to jump ahead to a character who has virtually no defined personality yet... My comment earlier about it helping a lot was understated.

It's complex, but genius all the same. And it basically asks the things you would ask/notice about a person you are meeting. (Except for the essence mapping. :))

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:42 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Varon wrote:
No more essence maps? Hurrah! I'm on step three or four with Aidan Romero, and step 1.2 on Lance Juno.

We still left in the seventh step. The big essence map. That is still crucial to a well developed character (it is even on the shorter character fractalling system).

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:51 pm 
Captain
Captain

Oh, ok. I still need to do Lance before NaNo.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:44 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I love Hungarian Rhapsody! I've never officially played it, but I've sight read the first few pages.

But back on topic, I'm sending three characters through this right now. My stories are very character-driven, so this is a lifesaver! :D

"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."
~Mark Twain~

Works in Progress:

Note:
Abigail is Hebrew for joy of the Father, and Mimetes is Greek for imitator or follower. I am a joyful follower of my King and Father, the Creator of all things.
I stand in support of Jay, for he is my brother in Christ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:42 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I'm getting ready to fractal a character for a teamwork challenge I'm doing on CM. I probably won't do part of the steps, though.
I also sent one of my NaNo characters through it, but I think I skipped part of it that time as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:53 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: The Running Rivers, Tall Forests, and Mighty Mountains of the Northwest
Vanya Katerina Jaynin wrote:
Sir, everything you do is complex. :)

There are people in the world who don't think that the Hungarian Rhapsody is that complex either. :rofl:

It's a matter of taste...and skill. ;)

Actually, because I'm a debater and because of my personality, I find the question-answer format to be very simple and powerful.

The only hard part might be the personality profiling. (section 2) Myers-Briggs is complicated...and the "love languages" idea is pretty foreign to a lot of people.

Redemption is to be purchased, to have a price paid. So I was redeemed from my master sin, and from justice, which demanded my death. For He paid the price of sin by becoming sin, and met the demands of justice by dying for us.

For all men have a master. But a man cannot have two masters. For he will love one and hate the other. You cannot serve God and sin. So I die to the old, as He died, and I am resurrected to the new, as He was resurrected.

Note: Ebed is Hebrew for bondsman, Eleutheros is Greek for unrestrained (not a slave).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:20 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Quote:
The only hard part might be the personality profiling. (section 2) Myers-Briggs is complicated...and the "love languages" idea is pretty foreign to a lot of people.

Agreed. I still haven't been able to get my hands on that book about love languages (so I just made educated guesses, sort of), and it took some research online before I felt I could confidently answer the Myers-Briggs part.

eruheran

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:36 pm 
Captain
Captain

I had to use Google for love languages, and an online Bryers-Migg quiz.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:30 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I've just decided I'm going to fractal a few characters from a non-fantasy book through this, just to help me out =)

And I also wanted to make the topic unread so that newbies would be sure to see it.... :blush:

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:13 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Wow Jay! AMAZING! I didn't read all of it fully but of what I did see was very complex and smart! Thanks!

the flames will not consume you; For I am your God.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I put two characters through it, and suddenly discovered that due to an unexpected weakness, I now have no solution to my novel's problem. Asheesh is also very deep. He used to be rather boring. In any case, it's a good thing we're world-building, because I haven't a clue who will get rid of the villain.
It's a great system, especially for those of us who have trouble figuring out a caracter's personality, and is reduced to one shy person, one anti-social person, one distrustful person, one optimist, and one oblivious goof. Or something like that. All of a sudden, I have not a quiet guy, but a thinker with a great mind for strategy and plenty of wit that he very wisely keeps to himself. I love it. When you concentrate, it doesn't even take that long.

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
-The Return of the King

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:31 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

* grins * That's what I love so much about this system. It doesn't just make your story have deep, grabbing, real characters, it revolutionizes your plot and setting as well. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I ran my charries through this and as a result of the added dimension I'm now working on the fourth draft since the original :P

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:55 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

* chuckles * That's a good thing. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next