Login | Register

Post subject: Greetings and Salutations
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:50 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Ta da ... Ummm. I guess that you may suspect that I am not a real writer. Well, I am real. I mean, I can pass a Turing test and all, and I can write ... or at least type.

Anyway, I am an Architect and Civil Engineer to pay the bills. I enjoy drawing and Science Fiction games to pass the time, and I have a friend who is kicking around here somewhere that likes to nag me to try and write a novel.

Hi, Leam. :)

So my name is Arthur and I guess I dabble a bit in writing, but I seek personal pleasure and have no particular unction to craft the next Great American Novel.

P.S. I think that spell checkers are one of the greatest things ever.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Greetings and Salutations
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:26 am 

Are you a published author?: No
Welcome to Holy Worlds!

Since you said you enjoy drawing, you might find the Arts Guild "room," which is devoted to discussions of music and the visual arts, to be of particular interest; it's a little bare right now, in the transition period (as explained in threads in the Announcements room), but it'll fill up again over the coming months.

You also said you enjoy "Science Fiction games"; what do you mean by that? (Video games? Board games?)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:24 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Hello! What is a real writer anyway? ;) It'd be interesting to compare day jobs with everyone - I bet everyone here could cover the spectrum. (I'm an accountant by day. ^_^ )

Drawing is cool - I'm somewhat artistic but not in that department. I've always wished I could draw, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:39 pm 
Writer
Writer

kingjon wrote:
Welcome to Holy Worlds!

Since you said you enjoy drawing, you might find the Arts Guild "room," which is devoted to discussions of music and the visual arts, to be of particular interest; it's a little bare right now, in the transition period (as explained in threads in the Announcements room), but it'll fill up again over the coming months.

You also said you enjoy "Science Fiction games"; what do you mean by that? (Video games? Board games?)

I enjoy Roleplaying Games. Like D&D, except I was attracted to a Space Opera type of game called Traveller. Since people and rigid blocks of time are scarce for me, I started playing on-line via Play by Post (PbP) games. When you have to type everything you see or do or say, it sort of gets into a quasi-writing area. It also attracts people who actually enjoy writing who offer advice like describing actions in the past tense makes it read a little better. [shrug] So you give it a shot and it generally does sound better.

I am naturally wired to enjoy kicking the tires on ideas that are a little bit different. I guess it is what attracts me to the Sci-fi genre. So I spent some time working with small publishers drawing for their PDF and POD game books. It also allowed me to participate in a lot of 'think tanks' for coming up with ideas.

Recently Leam ('Domici' here) has been pursuing his writing, so I am mostly here to lend whatever support I can. I have written game books and I write lots of REALLY boring technical analysis on traffic calming or failure of friction courses or stormwater reports to make Lawyers and Government agencies happy. Now I just write 'make believe in space' so a few people can have fun in our spare time.

I have decided to give the NaNoWriMo a shot this year. I don't care how many or few words I actually write, but I have one of those file boxes of partial notes of ideas that popped into my head on different things in the Garage, and my wife is threatening to hurt me if I don't get that junk out of the garage. So I guess that in November, I will be converting notes to prose and storing it digitally. Who knows, if I feel inspired to create 1 page of art for each 3 pages of text, I might publish a few game 'splat books'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:08 pm 
Captain
Captain

Welcome to Holy Worlds! NaNoWriMo has proven helpful for many writers, including me. I've done it several times, though I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to fit it in this year.

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:41 am 

atpollard wrote:
kingjon wrote:

I enjoy Roleplaying Games. Like D&D, except I was attracted to a Space Opera type of game called Traveller. Since people and rigid blocks of time are scarce for me, I started playing on-line via Play by Post (PbP) games.

That was another possibility I'd thought of, but I didn't mention it because my mental classification files Traveler as "Role-Playing Game with a setting that happens to be science fiction." :) (Not that I have much experience with RPGs other than D&D.)

I asked, in part, because I'm developing, and running in a slow-moving campaign by email and shared Google Docs, a strategy/simulation game with some RPG elements. (In the game, each player commands an initially-small force in an imagined world using his or her wits, imagination, and real-world knowledge; in the original campaign, back when I first thought it up as the apparatus for a science fair project in 2001, a player invented flight in the first turn and was into space not too long after that, but because I've been more careful in checking technology prerequisites the current campaign, which is only on its fourteenth turn, has only seen players get into early industrial technology so far. :))

atpollard wrote:
I am naturally wired to enjoy kicking the tires on ideas that are a little bit different. I guess it is what attracts me to the Sci-fi genre. So I spent some time working with small publishers drawing for their PDF and POD game books. It also allowed me to participate in a lot of 'think tanks' for coming up with ideas.

Fascinating! I enjoy browsing through different game sourcebooks (nominally to get ideas for my own game, or an eventual RPG set in the world of my fiction), and have probably spent too much time (and disk space for online stores' "free" offerings) on that over the last several years. :)

atpollard wrote:
I have one of those file boxes of partial notes of ideas that popped into my head on different things in the Garage, and my wife is threatening to hurt me if I don't get that junk out of the garage. So I guess that in November, I will be converting notes to prose and storing it digitally.

That I can certainly relate to; I have so many file folders, boxes, and piles of papers (and stacks of books) that finding anything that isn't quite recent is very difficult, and what's worse it (being so much clutter) makes it harder to concentrate and think straight. So one of the way-too-many projects I'm trying to work steadily on is digitizing the papers that are worth keeping and getting rid of the ones that aren't.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:03 pm 
Writer
Writer

Here is the opening post from the PbP game "Operation Polyphemus" made on September 19th, 2014, 03:44 PM. We are currently on day 21 of the 30 day mission with roughly 3-5 posts per week.

Quote:
Since I hate starting out meeting a group of strangers in a bar ... and this is my game ... I will start completely differently:

Quote:
Jump +0 minutes:
The ship transitions to normal space at a range of 960,000 km with 0 velocity relative to the world ... Beyond planetary tracking range.

Jump +15 minutes:
All systems reading normal operation.
All scanners reading no contact (passive mode only).
The ship begins accelerating towards the planet at 2G constant acceleration.
Computer estimates 50 minutes to planetary tracking range.

Jump +47 minutes:
Computer reports unidentified contact at extreme sensor range.
Bearing 230 degrees, depression 20 degrees relative to ship
Unable to identify or secure a targeting solution.

Jump +50 minutes:
Computer reports this ship is 900,000 km from planetary surface, currently accelerating at 2G constant, velocity 40 kps.
58 minutes to planetary jump shadow.
167 minutes to zero velocity at planetary surface.
Now entering extreme planetary tracking range.

Unidentified contact at range 600,000 km, accelerating at 4G constant, current velocity 120 kps.
90% probability unidentified contact on intercept course.
53% probability unidentified contact is a military vessel.
Unable to identify target craft.
2.8% probability of acquiring a targeting solution.

Begin emergency jump sequence?
Go to active sensors?

"Negative Jump. Negative Sensors." the Pilot shouts.

The pilot instinctively turns to look over his shoulder, as if he could actually see the ship chasing him, but all of the information he needed danced in front of his eyes in a holographic ballet of data.
Whatever it was, it was at extreme detection limit and it was closing on an intercept course.

"Dammit, gotta make a run for the planet."
His fingers dance across the holographic controls as invisible dials and buttons and slides respond to his virtual-touch.

"need Maneuver/Evade 6 and Return Fire online" he thinks.
Lights change colors on ignored corners of his display and text dances across his field of view in response to his unspoken commands.

Every fiber in his being screams to initiate a jump and go someplace safe ... but the briefing was clear. Success is imperative. Failure is not an option.

He is startled from his thoughts by another human voice ...

and here is one of the latest posts from Day 20 posted on October 16th, 2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
[Biter 1416.51.1550 IST (12:50 PM Local)] Diner, Nowhere

Nana had eventually talked Alda out of 'having a talk' with anyone else. A few people were concerned that Anthony hadn't been seen since Alda dragged him off, but most figured that he had ported away in self defense as a last resort. Nobody was brave enough to ask Alda about it and she was hovering over Delilah.

The red card orphans required all of about ten minutes to bond with the Firsters their age and when they all had eaten and Mikael could stand the racket no longer, everyone got chased outside to play in the fog.

Mooch and Haggler ended up eating and talking at a table with Jerry and Alda's whole family. They met Max and Katy (age 20), Wendy, Nikki and Babetta (age 19), Rute (age 18), Sammy (age 13) and Willie (age 10). Anthony's brothers and sisters immediately adopted the pair and treated them like two more siblings. Including alternating between sharing embarrassing stories about Anthony and Delilah and teasing Haggler and Mooch about having to do chores and earn their keep like everyone else. They asked Mooch for some more details about how De got hurt. "Did she really charge a machine gun?"

Mooch explained about the Cave and the two gangs fighting. About the Lacars and SMGs and the GLs shooting back and forth. About the shrapnel and trying to run for cover and the frightened children. "Then this grenade exploded and we were all going to be hurt or killed when Tony started to port us all away. Most of us were able to dodge the fragments cause they started moving slower as we started porting. De grabbed a three year old and shielded her with her body. That's how she got hurt."

"We better not tell momma that story" said Max. The others just nodded.

Marcie was eating lunch with her father and overheard the story and thought De was only 17 years old, she should not be using her body to stop grenades from killing babies. Then Marcie remembered the rumors about Tala. Tala was only 17 years old, as well. Marcie wasn't sure she liked the world outside of Nowhere.

One of the convoy drivers named Herman, the son of Lou, had a sister named Helen who was staying in town. Helen was sufficiently well endowed that her clothes fit Giselle and she was happy to provide something both warm and comfortable. Stewart had much less trouble locating boots in her size.

Tala and Giselle were enjoying lunch together. Giselle was sharing stories about Anthony asking her to dance like some lord at a state ball while Delilah was practicing shaking her money maker with the girls on the stage. At one point, Tala's drink came out her nose, and they both laughed hysterically. Tala's laughter quickly died down as she saw the expression on Giselle's face abruptly change. Tala turned to see Anthony and his father, Jerry, walk through the front door.

Anthony whispered something to his father and headed towards Giselle all alone. He stopped a few meters from the table. "Miss Tala, Miss Giselle. I'm real sorry to interrupt, but this is sort of important. Mama explained to me about those contract things. I just didn't understand. So here." Tony thrust out a piece of paper towards Giselle. When she hesitated, he placed it firmly in her hand. "This is for you."

"I don't understand. What is this?" asked Giselle.

"It's yer contract. I had Tyjon help me make it all legal like." said Anthony.

Giselle looked at the paper and her contract had been executed as paid in full. She was free. Glancing down at the bottom, it wasn't signed. There was just an 'X' for the signature and two other names. 'Tyjon' and 'Wren'. "You didn't sign it?" said Giselle.

"That's cause I can't write." said Tony "but Tyjon said it was still all legal."

"I don't have any money, but I can pay you back." said Giselle.

"No ma'am. You can't." said Tony "Like I said, I didn't understand. I thought it was like a labor contract when you hire someone to do a job. Now that I understand, It ain't right for one person to own another. Not now. Not never. That's not how the Creator says things are supposed to be. So I can't take your money. It wouldn't be right."

"Miss Tala. Miss Giselle." Tony smiled "Thank you for teaching me to dance. You dance real nice." He tipped his hat and turned to leave. Jerry placed his arm around his son's shoulders, whispered something just before they reached the door. Then Jerry left and Anthony ran over to join Haggler, Mooch and his siblings at the table.

So that is where my writing energy goes these days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:34 pm 
Captain
Captain

Hello and welcome to Holy Worlds! It's good to have you here, especially with such an interest in science-fiction. We're a bit of a minority here. :cool:

Traveller always looked fun, I definitely have to admit. I just never had much of an opportunity to get involved with those when I lived back home.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:21 am 
Writer
Writer

Varon wrote:
Hello and welcome to Holy Worlds! It's good to have you here, especially with such an interest in science-fiction. We're a bit of a minority here. :cool:

Traveller always looked fun, I definitely have to admit. I just never had much of an opportunity to get involved with those when I lived back home.

Praise God, we have lots of room to grow. ;)

PM me if you want to take a shot at a play by post (PbP) Traveller game. It was set up to allow people to drop in and drop out at any time and the rules we use are stupid simple.

Roll 2d6.
Easy tasks require 6+ to succeed.
Average tasks require 8+ to succeed.
Hard tasks require 10+ to succeed.

You can attempt pretty much anything, and there will be a few things that you will get a bonus to success on the die roll.

That's it. Everything else you can pick up as you go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:39 am 
Writer
Writer

"Are you a published author?"

I was hoping for some feedback and advice on answering this question. I have no ego boost and tend to be hyper literal about these sort of questions.

So when I graduated college I went to work for a land development company that was owned by a surgeon. He had a question about eye surgery and beam bending calculations. I had a brand new Architecture Degree from an Engineering University and a Math Minor, so the cowards sent me to deal with all of these doctors and their strange questions. I ended up as a contributing author in the credits based on a page of calculations and some statistical analysis in a book on surgically induced astigmatism (and a whole bunch more words that I don't remember).

Fast forward a decade and I get involved in creating artwork for small press publishers for the Traveller RPG. Mostly art, but some think tank work that lands me a few credits on a few products (often with strange titles for my position like 'Vice Admiral').

So personally, I think of published authors as people who write actual books, like novels, and I am not one of those. Yet the NaNoWriMo definitions are so bizarre that I am not sure that what I create (RPG Adventures, Equipment Guides and Rules with 25-50% artwork) even qualifies as a NaNoWriMo Rebel.

So am I a Published Author?
Should I check YES or NO?

Whichever I select, I feel dishonest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:16 pm 
Writer
Writer

I will point out that atpollard's game is what gave me the basis for my Camp NaNo novel and the second book of that series is going to be drafted by 1 Dec. :)

We can novelize the game and come up with a trilogy, easily. Or split the same time frame into books for different characters in the war.

If you do want to join a game that inspires you to write, this is it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:14 pm 
Captain
Captain

atpollard wrote:
"Are you a published author?"

I was hoping for some feedback and advice on answering this question. I have no ego boost and tend to be hyper literal about these sort of questions.

So when I graduated college I went to work for a land development company that was owned by a surgeon. He had a question about eye surgery and beam bending calculations. I had a brand new Architecture Degree from an Engineering University and a Math Minor, so the cowards sent me to deal with all of these doctors and their strange questions. I ended up as a contributing author in the credits based on a page of calculations and some statistical analysis in a book on surgically induced astigmatism (and a whole bunch more words that I don't remember).

Fast forward a decade and I get involved in creating artwork for small press publishers for the Traveller RPG. Mostly art, but some think tank work that lands me a few credits on a few products (often with strange titles for my position like 'Vice Admiral').

So personally, I think of published authors as people who write actual books, like novels, and I am not one of those. Yet the NaNoWriMo definitions are so bizarre that I am not sure that what I create (RPG Adventures, Equipment Guides and Rules with 25-50% artwork) even qualifies as a NaNoWriMo Rebel.

So am I a Published Author?
Should I check YES or NO?

Whichever I select, I feel dishonest.

I think you should check "yes," since you received official credit.

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:56 pm 
Captain
Captain

I agree with Jonathan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The question about the "published author" checkbox reminds me that we will have updates to the profile pages rolling out in the next few months... :D

By all means, check yes! If you have been involved in a professional project (even in art), you should check it.

Anyway, sorry I'm late! Don't worry, the cupcakes are fresh, though! :dieshappy:

By all means, what you're doing with the RPG games is DEFINITELY writing! Actually, there is some fantastic story in video games, especially in the last decade. Plus, playing in a semi-structured sandbox like an RPG or fanfiction, where some of the rules of story have already been set for you, is a great way to get started with writing without having to start from scratch.

Which I guess was a very technical way of saying--that's cool! :D

So great to have you! And yes, we sci-fi nerds need to stick together! :cool:

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:58 pm 
Writer
Writer

Greetings to all new folks. Well I am not quite new, just have not been here in a while. Working on a new book, my other trilogy got shelved for a while.

2 Timothy 4:7
I have Fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the Faith.

Works Finished: The Withering Chronicles: Book 1

Offline Profile