Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: How Has Your Writing Gone in 2015?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:11 am 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
In addition to the question in the title, did you meet your writing goals this year? How do you feel about your writing right now? :)

My main goal this year was to submit to an average of three magazines per month, and I don't think I'll quite make that goal, but I should come close. My other goal was to participate in National Novel Writing Month, and I was able to do that as well. I was a rebel and wrote 50,000 words of short stories.

I also had two other big things happen with my writing. I became a columnist for TRC magazine, and I began writing technical articles for businesses. My writing this year didn't end up looking like I expected it to, but it turned out pretty well overall.

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How Has Your Writing Gone in 2015?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:12 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Sex: Female
Congratulations, Jonathan! :D That's really cool.

I wrote like a madwoman back in May. I don't like to set deadlines, but it was practically a NaNo pace. I wrote a few thousand... I don't remember how many... It was in the tens of thousands somewhere... in the course of a week. I've done a bit of editing since then, but I've mainly been trying to get prepped for, and keep up with my teaching, so I haven't put much time into it since then.

Now though, I've officially taken a writing hiatus so that the stress of feeling as though I'm behind won't interfere with getting way more time to pray. I've been pleased with my writing thus far, but it really hasn't been something that points to God the way that it should. I've had some mildly religious tones in my short stories, and even some overtly Christian tones in my novels, but the ethics aren't enough to make godly.

So, I've placed it on the altar with some of my other most prominent idols, and I'm giving it up. I don't think it's forever, but God and I have to approach my writing together rather than me attempting to contort it into righteousness. We'll see where that goes, I'm sure. :D

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:35 am 
Captain
Captain

I did accomplish my writing goals. I got lots of writing done, and I published two novels and three novellas. :D I'm happy with how much I have accomplished with my writing and look forward to the next year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:08 pm 

Are you a published author?: No
Funny you should post this when you did; the notification email came in yesterday when I was in the middle of writing my year-end goal-review and goal-setting blog post for my Shine Cycle. To summarize: I didn't meet most of the specific goals I had set, but I'm still moderately satisfied with how the year went, especially since about half of it I didn't have hardly any mental energy to put to non-classwork writing.

Jonathan Garner wrote:
I began writing technical articles for businesses

How'd you get into that? I've been taking technical writing classes (and am one graphic design elective away from the certificate in the subject), but finding an employer or client is a less obvious process than the writing itself.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:06 pm 
Captain
Captain

Congratulations, Jonathan! You've been doing well.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Now though, I've officially taken a writing hiatus so that the stress of feeling as though I'm behind won't interfere with getting way more time to pray. I've been pleased with my writing thus far, but it really hasn't been something that points to God the way that it should. I've had some mildly religious tones in my short stories, and even some overtly Christian tones in my novels, but the ethics aren't enough to make godly.

So, I've placed it on the altar with some of my other most prominent idols, and I'm giving it up. I don't think it's forever, but God and I have to approach my writing together rather than me attempting to contort it into righteousness. We'll see where that goes, I'm sure.
This is interesting. I struggled with a similar thing last year, and it took a long time to understand what I believed. I started a new novel, and I think that helped the most. The new ideals I had been forming were part of it naturally.

Congratulations, Faith! I think I have read all the books you published this year, actually. :D I enjoyed them.

I did not meet my goal of finishing the second draft of my novel, but I did create a very sustainable writing schedule, so I have been accomplishing a lot and will be able to continue doing so indefinitely. I'm glad, anyway. I am much closer to publishing than I was at the beginning of the year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:56 pm 
Captain
Captain

Mistress Kidh wrote:
Congratulations, Faith! I think I have read all the books you published this year, actually. :D I enjoyed them.

I did not meet my goal of finishing the second draft of my novel, but I did create a very sustainable writing schedule, so I have been accomplishing a lot and will be able to continue doing so indefinitely. I'm glad, anyway. I am much closer to publishing than I was at the beginning of the year.

Thank you, Juliet! Wow. That's so nice to hear. :D

A sustainable writing schedule. I like the sound of that. Good job!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:38 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: No
I actually made some good (for me) progress this year. At the beginning of the year, I had nothing but a couple of halfway-decent short stories and a mountain of aimless garbage. Then I figured out my plot, and now I've got the first draft for my novel nearly done. I've also figured out titles and some general ideas for two sequels.

I'm pretty sure that my writing is still terrible, but I'm excited about what's to come.

"It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:15 am 
Captain
Captain

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Congratulations, Jonathan! :D That's really cool.

Thanks. :D

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:

So, I've placed it on the altar with some of my other most prominent idols, and I'm giving it up. I don't think it's forever, but God and I have to approach my writing together rather than me attempting to contort it into righteousness. We'll see where that goes, I'm sure. :D

Most likely, God will help you sort it out in time, and then your writing will be the best it's ever been. And I look forward to reading it. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:17 am 
Captain
Captain

Miss Elizabeth wrote:
I did accomplish my writing goals. I got lots of writing done, and I published two novels and three novellas. :D I'm happy with how much I have accomplished with my writing and look forward to the next year.

That's great, Faith. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:24 am 
Captain
Captain

kingjon wrote:
Funny you should post this when you did; the notification email came in yesterday when I was in the middle of writing my year-end goal-review and goal-setting blog post for my Shine Cycle. To summarize: I didn't meet most of the specific goals I had set, but I'm still moderately satisfied with how the year went, especially since about half of it I didn't have hardly any mental energy to put to non-classwork writing.

I'm glad that it was a moderately satisfying year, at least. :)

kingjon wrote:
Jonathan Garner wrote:
I began writing technical articles for businesses

How'd you get into that? I've been taking technical writing classes (and am one graphic design elective away from the certificate in the subject), but finding an employer or client is a less obvious process than the writing itself.

I'll send you a PM about that soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:26 am 
Captain
Captain

Mistress Kidh wrote:
Congratulations, Jonathan! You've been doing well.

Thanks, Juliet. :D

Mistress Kidh wrote:

I hope steady progress continues for you. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:32 am 
Captain
Captain

Zymologist wrote:
I actually made some good (for me) progress this year. At the beginning of the year, I had nothing but a couple of halfway-decent short stories and a mountain of aimless garbage. Then I figured out my plot, and now I've got the first draft for my novel nearly done. I've also figured out titles and some general ideas for two sequels.

I'm pretty sure that my writing is still terrible, but I'm excited about what's to come.

You're doing well. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:30 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Thanks, Jonathan. :) I hope so.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]