Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your ideal future family
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:06 am 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
You are in inspiration to our society.

I do try.

And good for you, Eli! Congratulations!

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:01 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
The family that catechizes together stays together.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:10 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Haha. Something like that. My grandfather is a minister, and he had some pretty cool rewards for me and my siblings and cousins finishing our children's and shorter catechisms.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
~ Dumbledore

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:13 am 
Captain
Captain

That would be fun times. I wasn't exposed to catechism until my senior year of high school, but I eat it up now.

A family of good friends of mine do their evening devotions by reading from missionary biographies. I'd love to do those sorts of things with my family. It's such an invigorating perspective on the power of God.

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:21 pm 

*Didn't read through the whole thread, sorry* :P

I would love to have a house of my own someday. Considering that I'm too stubborn to move out while I'm single unless it's a job or something that calls me away, I guess that means I need to get married first. ;) I used to want tons of kids and I wanted to adopt as well. But since battling minor-yet-stubborn depression for the last three-at-least years, I'm questioning myself. I want as few kids as it takes to be able emotionally to give them the attention they each need. Who knows what that number will be when the time comes.

Anyways, all of that is just smoke on the horizon since I seem to have a habit of scaring all the decent guys away. :P

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:57 am 
Captain
Captain

You're not looking for decent guys. You're looking for the husband God means to give you. And then you'll have as many children as He thinks you can handle. :)

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:55 am 
Captain
Captain

Calista Beth Mimetes wrote:
Anyways, all of that is just smoke on the horizon since I seem to have a habit of scaring all the decent guys away. :P
Don't say that, neighbor. :P

I suppose it's wise to have moderate expectations, but you know you can heal and change, in God's will. Anyway, I think your family will be a great one. :)

I don't think much about an "ideal future". But I wish to have a family that is active in missions or humanitarian outreach. I would like to get married. I am independent and feel restless right now, but I don't think I would do well completely alone. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:18 am 

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
You're not looking for decent guys. You're looking for the husband God means to give you. And then you'll have as many children as He thinks you can handle.

True. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Mistress Kidh wrote:
Anyways, all of that is just smoke on the horizon since I seem to have a habit of scaring all the decent guys away.

I suppose it's wise to have moderate expectations, but you know you can heal and change, in God's will. Anyway, I think your family will be a great one. :)

Thank you, neighbor. :) *Hugs*

Mistress Kidh wrote:
I don't think much about an "ideal future". But I wish to have a family that is active in missions or humanitarian outreach. I would like to get married. I am independent and feel restless right now, but I don't think I would do well completely alone. :)

That's cool. :D My grandparents were missionaries in Nepal for many years. I've always been interested in India and Nepal because of that, but I think if I do missions it will most likely be in the states. There is a mission on the Navajo reservation in Arizona/New Mexico area that I'm interested in currently. What sort of missions would you be interested in?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:12 am 
Captain
Captain

Mistress Kidh wrote:
Anyways, all of that is just smoke on the horizon since I seem to have a habit of scaring all the decent guys away.

Thank you, neighbor. :) *Hugs*

Mistress Kidh wrote:

That's cool. :D My grandparents were missionaries in Nepal for many years. I've always been interested in India and Nepal because of that, but I think if I do missions it will most likely be in the states. There is a mission on the Navajo reservation in Arizona/New Mexico area that I'm interested in currently. What sort of missions would you be interested in?
*hugs* :) Is it the mission that you worked at over the Summer before? I am somewhat drawn to Syria/Iraq. Medical aid, or an administrative role in an aid organization, seems on my mind the most right now. I don't have any definite plans yet. But wherever I end up being I value local outreach, especially to the poor. I feel like they are your responsibility.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:06 pm 

Mistress Kidh wrote:
*hugs* :) Is it the mission that you worked at over the Summer before? I am somewhat drawn to Syria/Iraq. Medical aid, or an administrative role in an aid organization, seems on my mind the most right now. I don't have any definite plans yet. But wherever I end up being I value local outreach, especially to the poor. I feel like they are your responsibility.

I was there last spring, yes. Just for a week, but I'm seriously considering going back more long-term someday.

Wow, yes. That would definitely be a dangerous mission-ground, but I know it is an extremely needy one too. And with the Lord going before and behind, not quite so dangerous as it is to the human eye. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:05 pm 
Captain
Captain

Mistress Kidh wrote:

I was there last spring, yes. Just for a week, but I'm seriously considering going back more long-term someday.

Wow, yes. That would definitely be a dangerous mission-ground, but I know it is an extremely needy one too. And with the Lord going before and behind, not quite so dangerous as it is to the human eye. :)

Yes, that is true. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 pm 
Writer
Writer

I've got my family. It's weird saying this.

I'm married and have two kids. Both very smart, and way cuter than any kids of mine have any right to be.

"It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:01 pm 
Editor
Editor

All I know right now is that I'd like to be married sometime in the future. I don't know about kids and adoption though...I used to think I'd want to adopt because I'm adopted myself, but I'm kind of scared of the things that would come with it. At any rate, I'd homeschool kids I have through middle school and maybe high school.
Oh, and pets are necessary. I'd like a couple dogs.

Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
I somewhat romanticize the notion of having an open house. Allowing anyone in and showing God's love to all who do. I also really like the idea of hosting a baby box. A place for mothers to leave children rather than throwing them away or killing them.

I've also thought about this, and I still think it's a cool idea.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:50 am 
Writer
Writer

My ideal future family consists of me and my love with a couple of question marks for the next generation.

I really don't know how many kids I want to have, nor am I going to just say "it's in God's hands". Ultimately it is, and I'm totally okay with that. But I also think it is okay to use Biblical forethought in the area of having children, just like the principles we use in marrying, getting a job, education, etc. (Of course, birth control that kills is out of the question...) Its kinda weird for me to say that because I come from a large family (one of 11) and my parents definitely believe that they are to function as a healthy couple and take what God gives as a result. No planning.
I'm not totally on board with the idea of using no Biblical planning principles before attempting something as big as bringing into existence a being that depends on you for literally EVERYTHING, including - besides the physical - their theology, anthropology, orthodoxy, doxology and orthopraxy; that is to say, worldview.
But... there are a lot of factors to think through, and ultimately its a decision me and my wife (future) will have to make together.
Whatever the case, I want more than three kids but not a ton. I feel like saying "I'll have as many children as God thinks I can handle" a little similar to saying "I'll just marry whoever God thinks I can handle". So yeah, no less than three... but not a ton. Children. Not wives. :book:

I am open to the idea of adoption, but I don't know how realistic it will be for me. I'm not planning on being poor, but, you know, adoptions are stupidly expensive currently. I think fostering would be awesome as an alternative, but also harder emotionally because you can't foster forever... and they're never quite really your child.

I am not a pet guy. So pets are totally optional. Preferably not present - unnecessary economically. Sorry people... :P

Location literally does not matter very much to me, but I don't want to live in the country. I'm an introvert, but there are just not enough people out there. I also grew up in the city so it's normal for people to be everywhere. I also just don't like the idea of being tied to your land - so much upkeep. In the city you trim bushes and mow the lawn. Might be the same in the country, but you have way more bushes and a ton more lawn there, lol. :D
There are some things I'd like about the country though.

I also think the idea of an open house is really cool, but also really difficult at the same time. There's a balance between having a solid enough family reality that can take and 'absorb' the disturbance of a non family member entering the scene, and a family atmosphere that would pop when you add another human variable to the mix. I don't know if my family will have the kind of expansive, adjustable atmosphere necessary for that. Maybe it's just me personally who wouldn't be able to deal with that. I don't know. For me, home should be the retreat, the place you go to feel safe, and that can't be opened up to others without fundamentally changing. Its for you and your loved ones. But I really think families who do open up their homes like that are really really cool and I think it would be an awesome testimony to be like that as well. So I'm a little torn.

As far as school goes, I am definitely homeschooling my children during the early years, but by high school I want to foster a broader circle for them to interact with intellectually/educationally, whether that's an actual Christian co-op or something different, but with the purpose of opening up horizons for them to interact on a broader playing field personally and idealogically. Whatever the case, I want to keep my hand well involved in what my kids are learning all the way through graduation, as it is first and foremost my responsibility.
Oh! The education in the School for Beings Brought into the World by Karthmin will include catechizing! According to the Baptist revision of the Westminster Catechism, btw. :) And lots of reformed theology. Heh. And philosophy. 'Cuz it's simply awesome.

http://www.thevoiceofka.weebly.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:56 am 
Captain
Captain

We're on opposite ends of the preference spectrum, but I totally get where you're coming from. :rofl: (If everyone wanted to live in the country, it would be a city. >_> )

I've seen the open house function at various levels. My family are all introverts with varying levels of social anxiety and and personal space issues (meaning very large individual bubbles), so it doesn't work for us at the moment... Some families are just more extroverted and like having the company, and others just hide the family disagreements a bit more easily so that guests can be comfortable. I have met two families (one in particular more than any others) who are just so at home in the Lord that they can't help but invite everyone in. They come from a background of varying levels of social anxiety, but the love of Jesus lives in their hearts and their house, so they just make it work unbelievably well. As far as a technique for dynamics, I don't think that is something one could ever strive to establish, but I dearly hope I can emulate that in my own home one day.

Hurrah for the Westminster Catechism! :D I got that in my upper school learning. I really liked my Christian school education, though being such an introvert, I preferred the books and the faculty to my peer age. I still do completely. The broadened horizons of learning are excellent, but I just get along so much better with older adults than I do with people my own age. Small Christian schools are excellent, but I'm also a huge fan of as many chances to interact with adults academically and theologically as possible.

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:39 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Wow... It's really interesting to see what y'all have planned for the future and great to see that some you already have your families. :)

One thing I'm noticing that's really great is how much everyone is seeking to glorify God through their future families. From the Bible we see how important family is and I think as a whole, our nations are starting to forget that importance.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to address each post ahead of me but one of the latest ones that really stuck out to me was Karthmin's. I'm going the have to disagree with you on living in the city but like Riniel, I do see where you're coming from. ;)

I definitely agree with you on the catechism, it will play a big part in my future family.

For me, the scariest thing in having a future family is my own maturity. At this point I could not consider myself ready to lead a family which means I have a lot to work on. :)

Also something to throw out there, (I'm going try to be really careful here because it could be taken the wrong way and may be a different view then some of you have) I think God gave humans something very special, free will. So in the end it's my belief that while God knows what the future holds, he has graciously left us the choice of who we're going to marry, etc.

Alright, sorry if that turned out to be a ramble. :D

Quote:
Chivalry: The humble, yet heroic attitude of selflessness, displayed by the performance of unselfish deeds, for unselfish reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:28 am 
Captain
Captain

I agree with you on the maturity thing. A lot of my yearning to have a family was based on my desire to belong somewhere and be important and there for people, so a lot of that deep-seated desire to be married and have children has waned since I've been putting more time and effort into my relationship with the Lord. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I do see a lot more how I won't be ready until He calls me to it. Whether He ever does or not, I don't know, but I really don't mind that thought anymore, given that there is so much He and I can do together either way.

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:57 pm 
Editor
Editor

:wave: I'm still over here with my cats.

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:43 pm 
Writer
Writer

A little story, to brag on my 3-year old daughter:

One morning a couple weeks ago got together some of her toys (stuffed animals, books, and puzzles) and said that she really wanted to give them to another little girl her age who doesn't have as much as she does. She did this without any prompting from us, entirely on her own. Not only that, but some of the things she chose to give away are things that I know she really likes to play with. So we found a couple little girls at a local shelter and she gave them away, fully understanding what she was doing and glad to do it.

"It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:56 am 
Editor
Editor

Lady Elanor wrote:
Would anyone really like to adopt children when they are married/in the future? I would love to adopt one day, personally. Fostering is something I'd like to do as well, I think.

I have a desire to foster with the intent to adopt. :) It's something I've been praying about a lot lately - learning about what to maybe expect, and the struggles that come with it. Children need families... Even if it is just one child - to that child, I pray my future family will make a world of difference.

I've always wanted to be a homeschooling mother for as long as I can remember back. Currently I'm a nurse aide, and that's been really good for me to remember I'm called right now to the stage I'm in at this point in life. I dream and pray and hope for a future family, but ultimately I've discovered I can genuinely be happy within my current sphere of influence. (Haha, and that's now when a guy has chosen to show up... We'll see where that's going as time goes on.)

Ideally, I'd like to have more than four kids and probably no more than six. I can't see myself even babysitting more than that many, so that's why the number is 6, but whoever God gives me will be good. I'm not sure how many of those would be adopted. That would be for sure something I'd have to talk about with a future husband, and of course pray about more.

Note: Mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower: I am a follower of Jesus Christ, seeking to be zeal aspiring in everything I do, so God may be glorified.

I help organize HW group Skype Calls. Feel free to message me for details if you'd like to join us.

My blog of mostly poetry: Za Blogging
My blog of random things I want to say and share: Opinions, Thoughts, And General Rambling

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next