Login | Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Quotes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:23 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
(I hope this is in the right section.)

This is sort of random, but does anyone like quotes? Silly question, yes, but I LOVE them! I collect them. :D Here's a few I've saved:

~Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. -- Barry LePatner

~Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. --Steven Wright

~You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of shore. –Dove chocolate wrapper

~“There are thoughts which are prayers. There are moments when, whatever the posture of the body, the soul is on its knees.” — Victor Hugo

~“I have learned that what we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” --Author Unknown

Hope you like them! If you have any to share I'd love to hear them! :D :D :D

참을성~ (Persevere~)

My Tumbr blog: Persevere Always

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Quotes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:20 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I have a rather large collection of quotes from an assortment of topics: mom, hero, adventure, friendship. Here's a few of my favorites.

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.
~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Trust that little voice in your head that says “Wouldn’t it be interesting if…” And then do it.
~Duane Michals

Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
~Albert Einstein

You don’t get to choose how you are going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you are going to live. Now.
~Joan Baez

I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.
~Steven Wright

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to life, I wouldn’t brood. I’d type a little faster.
~Isaac Asimov

Writers will happen in the best of families.
~Rita Mae Brown

The different between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
~Tom Clancy

Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.
~Thornton Wilder

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.’
~C.S. Lewis

Sweater – Garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly.
~Ambrose Bierce

We have every right to dream heroic dreams. Those who say that we're in a time when there are no heroes, they just don't know where to look.
~ Ronald Reagan

A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there isn't enough to go around.
~ Edgar Watson Howe

Ok, so that ended up being a lot more than I had planned to post. :D

"An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision." ~James Whistler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:54 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

“I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds with enough time left over to move 30 feet. I am capable of manipulating matter and energy on a subatomic level by speaking. A mere flick of my finger is sufficient to alter the gravitational pull of the planet. I shelve physics texts under “Fiction” in my personal library! I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics loose guidelines at best! In short, I am grasping the reins of the universe’s carriage, and every morning I wake up, look to the heavens, and shout, “Giddy up, boy!” You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I sir, am a FILMMAKER, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!”

-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick

Slightly rearranged by an acquaintance of mine to be about filmmaking. :) It could also work for writing. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:07 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Quote:
Writers will happen in the best of families.
~Rita Mae Brown

Awesome quote! :D :D

I've got some but they're in a dusty old notebook or word document somewhere. I'll have to go find them and then post some of my faves. :)

eruheran

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:47 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Woo hoo! more quotes! I was going through some for a retreat I'm attending. I found many that I really liked. Especially if they apply to things in your life. ("You" being a general term.) ;)

One’s best success comes after one’s greatest disappointments. –Dove chocolate wrapper

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. – Thomas A. Edison

“Trials are not enemies of faith but are opportunities to prove God's faithfulness.” — Author Unknown

“If God brings you to it, He’ll bring you through it.” — Author Unknown

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same. –Flavia Weedn

Any fool can count the seeds in an apple. Only God can count all the apples in one seed. –Robert H. Schuller

God understands our prayers even when we can't find the words to say them. –Author Unknown

God is a circle whose centre is everywhere and circumference nowhere. –Timaeus of Locris

Faith isn't the ability to believe long and far into the misty future. It's simply taking God at His Word and taking the next step. - Joni Erickson Tada

No matter how steep the mountain - the Lord is going to climb it with you. - Helen Steiner Rice

“Why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up.” –Alfred, The Dark Knight

There is nothing we can do to make God love us more; there is nothing we can do to make God love us less. – Philip Yancey

참을성~ (Persevere~)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:09 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

AH! I LOVE YOU for starting this thread! I absolutely ADORE quotes.:)

the only problem is that most of my favorite ones are anonymous.:(

The players in hockey wear numbers because you can't identify the bodies by the dental records.

I'm sorry, if you were right I would agree with you.

You can either live for something or die for nothing

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."--Forrest Gump

Someday your prince charming will come… mine just took a wrong turn, got lost, and was too stubborn to ask for directions!

Never ruin an apology with an excuse.
- Kimberly Johnson

We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English.
- Winston Churchill

God does not play dice with the universe.
- Albert Einstien

If you can’t convince them, confuse them.
- President Harry S Truman

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9

Nessa- She's given up the veil, the vows she'd sworn, abandoned every effort to conform. Without a word to anyone she's gone her way alone, a dove escaping back into the storm.

Nolan- And though I don't understand why this happened, I know that I will when I look back someday, and see how you've brought beauty from ashes, and made me as gold purified through the flames.

Azriel- And who do you think you are, running round leaving scars, collecting your jar of hearts, and tearing love apart? You're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul, so don't come back to me. Don't come back at all...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:30 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Wow I LOVE these quotes!! I have to dig out some of my favorites too...

The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
~Samuel Johnson

This is only one! I'll have to find more! :shock:

My uncle kissed my hand, a peaceful expression on his face, “Goodbye Teresse.”
I slipped past the gate with Malka and ran into the forest, gazing back one last time to see the lights of my beloved city, Arenford--and the capture of my last living relative, uncle Eldon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:21 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Smacking my rascally MC and wanting fish and chips.
I love these! Okay, here I go:

"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God." ~Jim Elliot

"I try to leave out the parts that people skip." ~Elmore Leonard

"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

"Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say." ~Sharon O'Brien

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." ~William Wordsworth

"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." ~Vladimir Nabakov

"A metaphor is like a simile." ~Author Unknown

"The story I am writing exists, written in absolutely perfect fashion, some place, in the air. All I must do is find it, and copy it." ~Jules Renard, "Diary," February 1895

"Proofread carefully to see if you any words out." ~Author Unknown

"A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer." ~Karl Kraus

"I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions." ~James Michener

"Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

I'll get some more later... :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:51 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

More quotes! :D

~If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. --Abraham Maslow

~Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. --William Dement

~I have never been hurt by what I have not said. --Calvin Coolidge

~I’d like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an escalator temporarily out of order sign, only an escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience. --Mitch Hedberg

~Every composer knows the anguish and despair occasioned by forgetting ideas which one had no time to write down. --Hector Berlioz

~I have learned that what we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. --Author Unknown

~What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God. --Eleanor Powell

~Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry. --Bill Cosby

~Remember this. When people choose to withdraw far from a fire, the fire continues to give warmth, but they grow cold. When people choose to withdraw far from light, the light continues to be bright in itself but they are in darkness. This is also the case when people withdraw from God. --Augustine

~Some people talk about finding God - as if He could get lost. ---Author Unknown

~You can’t possibly know where you’re going, if you don’t know where you’ve been. --Ken Burns

참을성~ (Persevere~)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:18 pm 
Captain
Captain

When you are flying, everything is all right or it is not all right. If it is all right there is no need to worry. If it not all right one of two things will happen. Either you will crash or you will not crash.

If you do not crash there is no need to worry. If you do crash one of two things is certain. Either you will be injured or you will not be injured.

If you are not injured there is no need to worry. If you are injured one of two things is certain. Either you will recover or you will not recover.

If you recover there is no need to worry. If you don't recover you can't worry.

This is my favorite quote lol from W.E. Johns :)

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:06 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

"All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf

"Pivots and divots and divots and pivots and pivots and divots and divots and pivots and pivots and divots and divots and..." - Shawn/Psych (say it out loud and its funny ;) )

"Death is not a part of life, but war is death and that is all it brings." - Darjee (one of my MCs)

"It's magnicalicious!" - Gabil

"Don't be a gooey chocolate-chip cookie." - Shawn/Psych

"My brother just dove into a snow bank... WELCOME HOME!" - Me

"For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier, so I put them in the same room and let them fight it out." - OwlCity

"Periodically spray computer screen with insecticide to prevent system bugs from spreading. Sweet idea." - OwlCity

"Anyone who uses the phrase "easy as taking candy from a baby" has obviously never actually tried taking candy from a baby." - OwlCity

I am Lady Vilisse Mimetes. Humble servant of the Lord our God and warrior in His name. Though my actions are feeble and prone to failure, I shall never falter in my call. I am pledged to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
My name is outward proof of my promise to follow, closer and closer, the words and will of my Lord and Father.

note:
Vilisse is Quenya for a person's spirit or general personality.
Mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

and so my spirit is one of a follower

Visit my revived, er.... dead blog! RSSharkey

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:10 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Thanks guys! ^^ I love these.

Here's some I have on my facebook (yes, they are quite random XD)...

There are only two things that are infinite - the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.
-Mark Twain

Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
-Benjamin Franklin

Fish and visitors stink in three days.
-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:19 pm 
Writer
Writer

“Even the smallest of persons can change the course of the future...” - Lady Galadriel, The Fellowship of the Ring

“Death is not the end of life, it is the beginning of eternity.”

“Fear is more painful than pain itself.”

“With power comes responsibility.”

"The problem with wearing a dress is that it clashes with a sword" - Tess, Kingdom's Hope

"A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man needs to seek Him to find her." - C.S.Lewis

“Even as there cannot be true beauty without true goodness, so there cannot be true rule without true service.” – The Wise Woman, Crown and Jewel

“It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.” – Sam's Gaffer, Lord of the Rings

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.” – Gimli, The Fellowship of the Ring

"Courage is found in unlikely places." - Gildor, The Fellowship of the Ring

“A single ray of light can brighten the darkest forest.”

A day may come when the courage of authors fails, when we forsake our characters and break all bonds of storyline, but it is not this day. An hour of weeping and shattered pens, when the age of writing comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we WRITE! By all that you hold dear in this good NaNoWriMo, I bid you write! Authors of the Internet! ~ Aragorn, The Lord of the Books

Previous username: SwordmaidenforChrist

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:40 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: Smacking my rascally MC and wanting fish and chips.
*dances* I'm bookmarking this thread. I love these! :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:13 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
So here are the inspirational ones from my facebook...

"When you break the rules, the rules don't get broken - you do." -Lisa Anne Wiggett

"'So what are you going to do about it?' Those questions are what heroes are made of!" -Elisabeth Elliot

"You can't out-give God." -Shaun Alexander

..."There is no shame in defeat so long as the spirit is unconquered." -Fenix (starcraft)

"Christians often say they support the light, but then turn around and finance the darkness." -Bob Smithouser

"Worry retards reaction and makes clear-cut decisions impossible." -Amelia Earhart

"Better do a good deed near at home than go far away to burn incense." -Amelia Earhart

"Never confuse the unlikely with the impossible." -Sherlock Holmes

"If a single tear fell from your eyes into the ocean
And then washed up on some far and distant shore
I would still recognize that teardrop
For in the end that tear would still be yours" -After the End (or the next day) TSO Lost Christmas Eve

"When it comes to our relationship we walk hand in hand with God. When it comes to salvation, he carries us." - KJ-52

"for the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." - Robert Jastrow

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:31 am 
Writer
Writer

Nice one Riniel. By the way I'm a huge TSO fan. And an even bigger fan of Savatage. They are the metal band that gave birth to what is TSO. Check out the cd. Dead Winter Dead. It's a rock opera about Sarajevo. The song Christmas Eve in Sarajevo is what started off TSO :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:42 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Oh dear, I want to revive this thread, but I can't think of any quotes. :( I'll try to think some more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:33 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Hmm... Well, I can only think of one quote off the top of my head today... And I'm pretty sure everybody's heard it before. :P

"Never does a man stand so tall than when he stoops to help a child." -Abraham Lincoln

* digs through quote collection * There should be another one in here somewhere... Nope... My mind refuses to give me quotes today. That's all I got. :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:59 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I don't think I've jumped in this thread yet, but this is as good a time as any to do so :)

"To this Mary very gravely replied, 'Far be it from me, my dear sister, to depreciate such pleasures! They would doubtless be congenial with the generality of female minds. But I confess that would have no charms for ME--I would infinitely prefer a good book.'"
 ~ Pride and Prejudice (best part of the book, IMHO :rofl: )

"Courage is reckoned the greatest of all virtues: because unless a man has that virtue, he has no security for preserving any other."
 ~ Samuel Johnson

"If thou thinkest twice before thou speakest once, thou wilt speak twice the better for it."
 ~ William Penn

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends, they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."
 ~ Charles Eliot

Those are some of my favorites but I've got oodles more :)

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:44 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
That reminds me of this quote Eru:
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
C. S. Lewis

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next