Login | Register

Post subject: Re: Bug Documentation
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:05 am 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
When I followed the link in today's notification of a new topic in the New Members room, I found what appear to be three copies of the thread, none of which contain any posts. (So they continue to be "unread threads" even after I try to read them, though the "views" count goes up. And this same behavior occurs in both Firefox and the text-mode browser elinks, which further objects that the "unread" fragment doesn't exist when I try to visit the thread via the "first unread post" link.) Possibly related, on the main index page the "Last post" column says there are no posts in the "Introductions and Celebrations" area despite there being (according to the "Topics" column) 14 threads in that area.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:35 am 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
kingjon wrote:
When I followed the link in today's notification of a new topic in the New Members room, I found what appear to be three copies of the thread, none of which contain any posts. (So they continue to be "unread threads" even after I try to read them, though the "views" count goes up. And this same behavior occurs in both Firefox and the text-mode browser elinks, which further objects that the "unread" fragment doesn't exist when I try to visit the thread via the "first unread post" link.)

I didn't try another browser, but I also was unable to read any of the three welcome posts from Hope Pennington. I did click on "Post Reply" on one of them to see if it showed up there, but it didn't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:23 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

I am unable to view Hope's post either. I suspect no post content was ever written to the database.

While this is not something I currently have access to, I'll send Joel an email and see if he'll take a look.

As always, thanks for letting us know about this issue!

Quote:
Chivalry: The humble, yet heroic attitude of selflessness, displayed by the performance of unselfish deeds, for unselfish reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:45 pm 

Sir Iarrthoir Criost wrote:
I am unable to view Hope's post either. I suspect no post content was ever written to the database.

That was my guess too :). I noticed that the URL in the "last post" column of the room index suggests that the database thinks the post ID of each of those three threads is 0, which I would suspect is either reserved as a "magic number" or was the first post ever and was deleted and is still on some "deleted posts" list.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you for documenting all the specifics for this bug, guys. It was likely just a database glitch like Aidan said, but I have Joel looking into it.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just dropping in to say I removed the duplicate topics but I could not find any source of the bug. So only the thread with replies is now visible. I'd suggest, if Hope wishes, she could just resubmit her welcome topic, either as a new topic or as a reply to the bugged one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 pm 
Writer
Writer

Not quite a bug but I just noticed my name up top is linked to the Logout button rather than to my profile. (3 guesses how I noticed... ;) )

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:58 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Lady Sparks, thanks for the post!

Yep, that is intentional, the "UCP" link will take you where you need to go.

Thanks!

Quote:
Chivalry: The humble, yet heroic attitude of selflessness, displayed by the performance of unselfish deeds, for unselfish reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm 
Writer
Writer

If I had a dime for every time I was involuntarily logged out in the last 10 minutes, I'd probably be at least 60 cents richer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:15 am 
Captain
Captain

Forgot to mention this at the time, but I accidentally locked the wrong topic and someone who has no "rank" was still able to reply to it. That's not supposed to happen, is it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:59 pm 
Writer
Writer

I deleted a comment earlier and the comment was deleted but after confirming delete, I was sent to a strange page that almost seemed frozen and I had to manually come back to Holy Worlds.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:08 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Reiyen wrote:
If I had a dime for every time I was involuntarily logged out in the last 10 minutes, I'd probably be at least 60 cents richer.

Reiyen, I'm sorry to hear that, I had thought we got that bug figured out. Is there any chance you were on a mobile device at the time, using LTE, 3G, etc?

Miss Elizabeth wrote:
Forgot to mention this at the time, but I accidentally locked the wrong topic and someone who has no "rank" was still able to reply to it. That's not supposed to happen, is it?

Nope, that's not supposed to happen. Was the locking and replying time fairly back-to-back?

There's been a lot of modification to the engine that runs HW, I'm a little worried that a lot of these bugs are coming from that. I have started a discussion with the administrators and they will decide the best course of action for getting everything updated.

Lady Sparks wrote:
I deleted a comment earlier and the comment was deleted but after confirming delete, I was sent to a strange page that almost seemed frozen and I had to manually come back to Holy Worlds.

Lady Sparks, was this page external to the Holy Worlds website?

Thank you all for the reports!

Quote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:35 pm 
Writer
Writer

I just tested and it happened again. I get sent to a blank page and this is the URL

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks so much for your diligence, guys! I was out of town at Grace's wedding (eee!) and therefore ignored Aidan's emails for several days like the very rude person that I am. :rofl: However, now that I'm back, we will be having a meeting within the next week to roll out a plan for fixing the immediate issues that are affecting y'all. As soon as that passes the mutual approval of the boys (because, y'know, they're the ones who have to do all the work), I will let everyone know what to expect and when.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:09 am 
Captain
Captain

Sir Iarrthoir Criost wrote:
Miss Elizabeth wrote:

Nope, that's not supposed to happen. Was the locking and replying time fairly back-to-back?

There's been a lot of modification to the engine that runs HW, I'm a little worried that a lot of these bugs are coming from that. I have started a discussion with the administrators and they will decide the best course of action for getting everything updated.

I think there were a few hours between the locking and reply time, but I don't know for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:53 pm 
Writer
Writer

I know that at least some of the time that I've had that logout issue it's been me minding my own business on my laptop on my home wifi.
But my home wifi is basically haunted, so if I'm the only one, don't sweat it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:53 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Reiyen, unfortunately (or fortunately :) ) I don't think your home network would be the cause of being logged out.

Thanks for your updates all, I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Quote:

Offline Profile