Login | Register

Post subject: Designing a City
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:41 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
My NaNo this year took place entirely inside one city. I didn't have the time or the inclination during the month to figure out many details of the city, but I want to continue playing in this world and city because I fell in love with it and the characters. So has anyone else tried to do detailed world building for a city, and do you have any tips for me?

This also include government; one of the quirks of this city is that it's actually two cities; one during the day and the other during the night. I know that I want the laws and governing authorities to be different, but I never really managed to work out just how they were different.

You have blue skin with orange polka dots. Four eyes, one red, one yellow, one green, and one blue. You have four arms, two are furry and two are scaly. One ear is a floppy dog's ear and the other is a pointy dog's ear. Your hair is a mess of tentacles. You have the body of a centaur, with four wings and two tails (both with feathers on the end). Two wings are pink. The other two are green and black, respectively. You have a row of sharp spines going down your back (very sharp). You also hiccup rainbow bubbles... ~Vili
So, now you all know what I look like.

We're creating a HW RPG! Come check it out!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Designing a City
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:56 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
How does the whole one gov in the day and one gov in the night work out? *is curious*

Works in Progress:
The Capstone - 97,000 Words (Fourth Draft), In Planning Phase
Currently Unnamed - In Plotting Phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:59 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Are you a published author?: Yes
Night and government always makes me think of mobsters, loan sharks, thieves, and secret societies. I am curious to see how the two halves of the world interact with each other. Are there some strictly day citizens and some strictly night?

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:32 am 
Writer
Writer

Inesdar: Thanks for the tips! I'll have to think about those questions.

Aratrea: That's probably one of the things I need to work out in more detail. Effectively, once you hit "curfew" and it switches from one city to the other, who's in charge and which laws matter change with it. Traffic lights might just turn off in the night, if the City of Night doesn't use them. Maybe in the City of Day you can get arrested if you stand on a street corner for too long, but as soon as it becomes the City of Night, it doesn't matter because they don't care.

Rin: Originally, they interacted frequently and really weren't that different. Over time they grew apart, and now people are definitely either Daytimers or Nighttimers. To the extent that apparently in the City of Day, you can get arrested just for being a Nighttimer. (Although technically, it's probably for not having the correct, government-issued ID.) At this point, they avoid interacting.

You have blue skin with orange polka dots. Four eyes, one red, one yellow, one green, and one blue. You have four arms, two are furry and two are scaly. One ear is a floppy dog's ear and the other is a pointy dog's ear. Your hair is a mess of tentacles. You have the body of a centaur, with four wings and two tails (both with feathers on the end). Two wings are pink. The other two are green and black, respectively. You have a row of sharp spines going down your back (very sharp). You also hiccup rainbow bubbles... ~Vili

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:35 am 
Writer
Writer

So when did this night/day phase thing start, and why don't the two govs try to make war with each other?

*hopes Leandra doesn't mind me asking all these questions* ;)

Works in Progress:
The Capstone - 97,000 Words (Fourth Draft), In Planning Phase
Currently Unnamed - In Plotting Phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:54 pm 
Writer
Writer

Nah, questions are good. :)

I believe the day/night thing has been like that from the beginning. It's the way the city was made. And that's probably at least part of why the governments don't declare war on each other or anything; there's a few thousand years of tradition keeping them from even thinking about taking over from the other. (I hadn't even thought of that possibility, to be honest. So I think we'll just say that it's as unthinkable to them as it was to me. ;) )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:54 am 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
This is a cool idea, Leandra. :cool:

....::::My Blog::::....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sir Inesdar Ternis wrote:
My goodness! That's both really original and makes my head hurt! XD Really cool!

Jonathan Garner wrote:
This is a cool idea, Leandra. :cool:

Thanks! :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm 
Writer
Writer

I absolutely love these ideas, Leandra. Very creative and original. I'm fascinated already. :D

~ Psalm 73:25-26

Works in progress

The Skyriders Trilogy (outlining)

What Waits in Shadow (fantasy short story--editing)
The Stranger's Gift (fantasy short story--editing)
The Crystal Orb (fantasy short story--writing)
And too many half-started ideas to count

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:55 pm 
Captain
Captain

*wakes a sleeping thread*

No tips, but I've always been fascinated by the premise behind the city-planets from Star Wars. I read a Star Wars book which took place on Coruscant, and it was really interesting to see the physical layout of the city. Coruscant is a city which covers the entire surface of the planet, and it has so many people that it is stacked in levels. The highest towers are for the rich, the main levels are the middle class, and as you go lower and lower it gets more sinister.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coruscant

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:06 pm 
Writer
Writer

This day/night idea slightly reminds me of a manga series about a school with day and night classes, Vampire Knight. The night class consists of vampires, though I'm pretty sure the day class doesn't know it. Two day class students function as guardians, making sure the secret stays safe and none of the vampires get the munchies. I'm not positive but I think the whole purpose of the night class was some kind of public-relations attempt to live peacefully with humans? (I only read a few of the books and it was years ago so my memory is sketchy.)

Offline Profile