Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Flat, Round, or Triangle World?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
So, I was just reading in one of the Dragonlance books, and a character mentioned that if someone fell through a hole to the outer side of the world, they'd land between a god's hammer and the anvil the world is sitting on, and get smashed by the god, since he's still forging world/stuff.

So, I was wondering how y'all do your world's shape. Is it flat(sitting on the back of a giant turtle, perhaps?), round, pyramid/triangle, ice-cream cone, a table, etc.

It really intrigues me, so please share. :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Flat, Round, or Triangle World?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:28 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I've always gone with a sphere myself, although I do have one story in which some of the worlds might be flat, but generally I go with a sphere. It's kind of automatic, and it also lets me do things like put the story in the southern hemisphere, because that needs to be done more often. :D

Because Holy Worlds really is that awesome: Clicky! (You know you want to!)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:59 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

The fantasy world I'm working on (Murel) is spherical, but I would love to work on something with a different shape sometime. The worldbuilding involved is so much fun. :D

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:30 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
I've got one where the small continent where the story takes place is on the back of a giant turtle (Archelon), but it's still on a spherical world. I haven't been as brave on that front as I'd like to be, since I'd feel compelled to bother about the impact on physics and geology and I tend to spend too much time on worldbuilding (and not enough on finishing a plot) anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:22 am 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
I tend to also have trouble with caring too much about physics as well... and go with a regular planet/sphere, but I think different shaped worlds sound cool.

The novel: Chosen Sister -- When the Gold Wizard magically selects Reina's younger brother as the Child Warrior prophesied to defeat the Red Wizard, Reina has mixed feelings—jealousy and concern. Austyn is only six. Allowed to accompany her brother, Reina soon finds they're in deeper trouble than she thought. The Gold Wizard's fake beard is ripped off by attacking harpies, revealing he's only seventeen, not to mention his magical demonstrations tend to go awry. Unfortunately, with the Red Wizard's harpies and snakewolves on their trail, finding a new (and better) wizard mentor is hardly an option.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:57 pm 
Writer
Writer

The beauty of fantasy is that we aren't bound by the laws of physics :D

I'm thinking a flat world with multiple layers could be cool. Not sure what the sky would look like for folks on the lower layers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:32 am 

As of yet, I have created but one world, and that is round. 'Tis different from Earth, however in that it has not a single moon, but three. Atop that, is the fact that Eshteka (my world and subforum name ;)) is considerably smaller than Earth, and consequently has denser mass.

Yup, I try to stay pretty realistic. :roll: ;) :dieshappy:

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:50 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Kelcin wrote:
The beauty of fantasy is that we aren't bound by the laws of physics :D

*nod nod*
Eventually, I'll take a break from Murel and work on something with really fun physics. :D

Main Fantasy Project:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Wait, Murel doesn't have fun physics already? :shock:
*tries to envision a funner world*
*fails* ;)

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

The world of Middle-Earth began as a flat world, and the Blessed Realm of Valinor was made in the West by the Valar.

But it was invaded by Numenorians trying to gain immortality, and Eru, the creator and teacher of the Valar, intervened. The Numenorians he buried in an avalanche, the island of Numenor sank into the sea, and Valinor, and the western sea, were removed into the realm of hidden things.

Eru made the world into a sphere, so that every path returned to its beginning, and no one could reach the end of the world.

Except the elves, and few others, who could sail away on the hidden, straight way, and see the bent seas of earth falling away beneath them.

This is one of my favorite ideas in the Silmarillion.

I will probably have both flat and spherical worlds, but I will not have the seas pouring over the edge.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
I Corinthians 11:1

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

My Book on Amazon.

Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld.

One of my posts: Introducing You to Iniel (third update)

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

@Tsahraf The Silmarillion is awesome. :D

@Andrew You hate Murel's purple tinted sky. :roll:

Besides, with a spherical world you are stuck with a lot of our Universe's physics (in most cases). With something different you can let your imagination make really interesting physics from the ground up. :cool:

Main Fantasy Project:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:18 am 

The world with which I am most concerned (let's call it "the world of the Shine Cycle") is flat, along one edge of its universe, and (I think) only a few miles thick. I don't think that the ocean ever reaches any of its edges; instead, there's usually some kind of wall or impassible winds or something, except for a few gates to beyond. I think that the universe may expand diagonally outward from its edges. But there are planets orbiting many of the stars in its sky; this isn't one of the few areas where I modify the laws of nature as we know them.

I also have several small universes where one small country is the entire universe; in those, trying to find the edge will either land you in some other universe, lead to you finding yourself back where you started, or end in frustration at not being able to make any more progress.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:40 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I've created numerous worlds, and for the most part they were spheres. But like 3 or 4 of them could be called flat, and none of them were any good. With having flat worlds, everything is so different--in fact the only world that might work in real life while flat would be Tinted Lands.

Visit my website on writing!

Current Works:
Master of Iron: Plot Development

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 pm 
Writer
Writer

I'm working on world building right now and so far my world has three layers and is shaped like a rainbow... make sense? Am I biting off more then I can chew?

Heartfelt: are your words.
Joyfulness: is what you share with others.
On: Christ is where you stand.
You: are such a blessing!

~ZA
THANK YOU LIA!!

I am a Mimetes, an imitator of Jesus Christ

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 am 
Writer
Writer

Wow, that's certainly creative, RJ. I like it. :D

I think my world will be spherical, or perhaps flat, but with two layers, one being the surface, where the actual landmasses and seas are, and another "in the sky" so to speak, called the "Outer Circles" wherein dwell the Devine Beings. I'm in the beginning stages, though, so I'll have to think through it more.

~ Psalm 73:25-26

Works in progress

The Skyriders Trilogy (outlining)

What Waits in Shadow (fantasy short story--editing)
The Stranger's Gift (fantasy short story--editing)
The Crystal Orb (fantasy short story--writing)
And too many half-started ideas to count

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:22 pm 
Writer
Writer

Oooh... I never heard that about LotR and the Silmarillion. (I've read Silm, but I forget that part.) That's really neat!

I just do round worlds--way too easy and requires less work to figure out how a flat world would logistically work out...

Works in Progress:
The Capstone - 97,000 Words (Fourth Draft), In Planning Phase
Currently Unnamed - In Plotting Phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:56 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: The Running Rivers, Tall Forests, and Mighty Mountains of the Northwest
I do a round world, but that's so that I can have really weird physics. Not physical laws, mind, you, but physics.

There are two suns, each of the poles if fixed on a sun, and so the two hemispheres are always lit, but there is a band of twilight around the equator. Because both of these suns are extremely distant, the band of twilight is extremely cold, even though the poles are both unlivably hot.

There are also three moons which orbit the equator at equal distances to the planet and each other, creating a nice, predictable tidal cycle. I make that cycle a little more interesting by having a fourth, large but extremely distant moon, which orbits from pole to pole, making the tidal system much more complex.

Add to that the fact that both of the poles are water, resulting a wetter world with more extreme storms, and that the main land mass is a gigantic super-continent, and the rest of the planet is covered in water, and you get a very unique climate.

So you can have a spherical planet and still have fun and be nothing like earth.

Redemption is to be purchased, to have a price paid. So I was redeemed from my master sin, and from justice, which demanded my death. For He paid the price of sin by becoming sin, and met the demands of justice by dying for us.

For all men have a master. But a man cannot have two masters. For he will love one and hate the other. You cannot serve God and sin. So I die to the old, as He died, and I am resurrected to the new, as He was resurrected.

Note: Ebed is Hebrew for bondsman, Eleutheros is Greek for unrestrained (not a slave).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Hmm... it used to be that Solarii was spherical, but then I realized how epic it would be to send pirates off the edge of the world, so I decided just now to make it flat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 am 
Writer
Writer

Renna the Gray Mimetes wrote:
Hmm... it used to be that Solarii was spherical, but then I realized how epic it would be to send pirates off the edge of the world, so I decided just now to make it flat.

:dieshappy: That is epic! :D

Works in Progress:
The Capstone - 97,000 Words (Fourth Draft), In Planning Phase
Currently Unnamed - In Plotting Phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:06 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Aratrea wrote:
Renna the Gray Mimetes wrote:

:dieshappy: That is epic! :D

Hehe, thanks. :) It'll be quite a while before I actually get around to writing something like that though--I'm much too bogged down with other stuff at the moment.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next