Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 3D Digital Rendition of Fantasy World
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
I think this is relevant here because I know it would help me a lot if I could do this.

I hear Jay on the podcast saying that he was working on making a 3D digital version of his world, and I really want to do that too. Has anyone done this? Any software to recommend? I was also thinking it'd be neat if this was done for Tritterrus, or however you spell it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 3D Digital Rendition of Fantasy World
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:53 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are you a published author?: Yes
Oh, I second this question! This would be very cool software...if it doesn't exist yet, someone should create it =D I have created a 2D map, but I don't know how these shapes play out on a globe. While we're at it, this software should have like...tide generators and something =P

Andrew

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:35 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I wish I had the knowledge to create it, hmm...this would be a good opportunity because I think a lot of people would like it and there isn't anything like it yet (at least not a very user-friendly one that would do what we'd want it to). I gotta learn how to do this! :D But it would take years for me to gain such expertise. :( Tide generators would be cool too! Oh, and also a calculable (I'm not sure if this is the word I want, but it sounds right) gravity, air density, and other atmospheric settings so you can make an earth-like-but-tweaked world if you want. Oh, and some of my patented ahead-of-the-times-and-way-more-than-I-could-afford-even-if-it-existed wishful thinking would say, I'd also like it to make the environment 100% capable of interaction, and customization. Allowing for you to render your made-up creatures and their behavior, culture, diet, language, weapons, etc. etc. so that you could even simulate different battles that take place, as if your world really existed. :pale: It'll be years before that kind of tech exists, so I think I'll agree with Andrew, just a 3D environment with tide generators, please! ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 pm 
Captain
Captain

I think it's already possible, but it would be extremely expensive.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:38 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

RunningWolf, same here...I know a little bit of programming but not nearly enough for this =P

Andrew

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Varon wrote:
I think it's already possible, but it would be extremely expensive.

Yeah, I imagine it is, but what I meant by 'possible' was: that I can afford it for my purposes and that it will run on a simple macbook pro instead of whatever real pros use... :pale:

Andrew wrote:
RunningWolf, same here...I know a little bit of programming but not nearly enough for this =P

Andrew

Yes, for now it is just a dream...perhaps someday someone will design something like that, until then or whenever we find something that does a decent job of just showing us the worlds we build, :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:47 pm 

Sex: Female
Maybe Dieki would like to create something like that. ;)

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:01 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

If he does, I would be more than happy to help him by testing and reviewing it! ;) Anyone with the ability to make something like this should know that it's a rare thing to be able to make a program that's one-of-a-kind...sort of at least, and a good opportunity. I may even try to do it myself someday if I ever have the knowledge required.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:14 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

There actually is a program that synthesizes spherical worlds and gives you a flattened projection. However, it doesn't let you take a flat map and turn it into a globe, it does however let you turn a globe into a map. Also....it's expensivish ($40).

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:31 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Thanks for the reply, Seer! That sounds cool! I might be interested in that when I'm rich. :rofl: Really, that does sound like something I would like (although I'm not sure that my world is a globe... :/ but I think it could be...)
But what I mean by "3D rendition" is like if you could make a map that would be like a satellite image that you can zoom into like on google earth, and then look closely at trees, clearings, cities, mountains...like a video game world, but your own fantasy world! Wouldn't that be awesome?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:19 am 

My ideal feature-set for a mapping program is similar to RunningWolf's, though slightly less ambitious (I don't need it to be 3D, especially not all the time---I just want it to be like Coriakin's magic in Dawn Treader (the book), but able to fill in the gaps with something reasonable even if not quite right.) Some programs that I've tried (some time ago ... they're all Windows-only, I think, and I boot into Windows so rarely that I can't remember which of them I even have installed) and you might find useful include Terragen, FractalWorld (that link's via the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, as the site has apparently been down for years), and L3DT. The one mapping program that I can heartily recommend---though it's only 2D---is AutoREALM (except that it's increasingly bit-rotted).

(If anyone's interested, I made a somewhat fuller description of my wants and review of those programs on my blog a few years ago.)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Those look like cool programs, kingjon. :) Yeah, I admit my specifications are pretty ambitious, I want a program that makes maps more like the movie version of Coriakin's map! I read your blog posts and I can recommend Campaign Cartographer 3, it's really nice, there are some good tutorials so you can learn the program on youtube (I used my ipod to view the video while I sat at my unconnected pc). Here's a map I made on CC3: Furim.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:29 am 

RunningWolf wrote:
I can recommend Campaign Cartographer 3, it's really nice, there are some good tutorials so you can learn the program on youtube

I've considered Campaign Cartographer. However, it's quite expensive (at least for my budget ... I don't remember what the price was), with (as far as I can see) no demo version or free trial period, so if I bought it and found it didn't suit my needs I'd have wasted my money. And when I looked into it, it looked like overkill for the part of my "requirements" it fit, but counter-productive for some other parts, and (like every other tool) ignored others. And at present I'd be wasting my money, because I now boot into Windows at most once a month or so (and then that's just to check for updates ...), but CC is Windows-only.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

• Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:33 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

kingjon wrote:
RunningWolf wrote:
I can recommend Campaign Cartographer 3, it's really nice, there are some good tutorials so you can learn the program on youtube

I've considered Campaign Cartographer. However, it's quite expensive (at least for my budget ... I don't remember what the price was), with (as far as I can see) no demo version or free trial period, so if I bought it and found it didn't suit my needs I'd have wasted my money. And when I looked into it, it looked like overkill for the part of my "requirements" it fit, but counter-productive for some other parts, and (like every other tool) ignored others. And at present I'd be wasting my money, because I now boot into Windows at most once a month or so (and then that's just to check for updates ...), but CC is Windows-only.

If you have any specific questions about it, I may be able to answer them for you (but might not be able to). Also, if it's worth it to you, I believe you can run windows on mac (is that what you're using, or are you using linux?).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 am 

RunningWolf wrote:
Also, if it's worth it to you, I believe you can run windows on mac (is that what you're using, or are you using linux?).

Linux. (And a somewhat unusual configuration, at that.) If my desktop were working I'd be able to run Windows in a VM, and there is always Wine, but VMs and emulation layers are workarounds I'd rather not have to deal with.

• My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:22 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Ok, I hope you find something that works!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:41 am 
Captain
Captain

What Jay was doing was actually on Gimp. I've considered trying it myself. Anyone want to know the gist of how he was working on it? ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:07 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That's a silly question if I ever heard one. YES. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:10 pm 
Captain
Captain

I was sort of buying time. * blinks and grins *

Anyway...what he was basically doing was nothing more than mapping his map onto a globe, so he could see what it really was like rather than always in some projection or other. If you go into gimp, it has a little thing in filters called 'animation'. Inside that, there is something called 'spinning globe'. You click it and it brings up a thing with settings for how many frames you want, and how fast the globe should be spinning, and stuff like that...the computer I do my images on has a really low amount of processing power, so I don't fiddle with the animation at all. I closed everything down and tried it this morning though (just to see, not with an actual map), and it looks like it should work.

The only thing is, the image you want to map onto the globe has to be tweaked, not the actual mapping, to get it how you want onto the globe. Fiddling with white space, stretching things, so on, until it looks like you want it to. There's no way to change, as far as I could see, how it maps onto the globe in the actual settings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:38 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Ooh, cool! I'm planning on trying to do something like that on Blender someday... Thanks for the intelligence, agent Juliet! :salute:

By the way, awhile ago I found this program, anyone heard of Artifex Terra 3D?
It looks really nice, as you can see from the screenshots, etc. Unfortunately it's only available for PC (and a powerful one on top of that) so I cannot use it. :P Thought I'd bring it to this thread though in case someone else would benefit (and maybe tell me if it works good). :cool:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next