Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Naming Your World
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:13 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
I've seen more than one person, myself included, who didn't know what to name their particular world. I'm beginning to wonder if that's even necessary. Think about it. We don't really have a specific name for our world other than Earth and that started as simply the name for the substance we stand on. I mean if you think about it, we refer to the world, generally as "the world" without any proper name needed. Wouldn't the inhabitants of our fictional worlds (who have no knowledge of other worlds, and thus would feel no need to distinguish) probably think along the same lines? I mean of course they would distinguish between countries and regions within the world, but the "world" in general would probably be just that in their minds. A nice bit of endocosmic thinking for you to mull over.
I understand the need to distinguish between multiple conworlds, but I think this can be done with out slapping an official name on them.
What do y'all think?

In Christ,
Jordan

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Naming Your World
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:43 pm 

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Interesting point. I'd have to say I've never thought about it that way before...but all the other fantasy worlds have names!! Who are we to stand against tradition?

Joke.

:)

2 Corinthians 3:17 ~ Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

eleutheria - Greek for liberty

My blog:
http://exhortationsbyelizabeth.blogspot.com
A fan of my book?
http://facebook.com/wingstrilogy/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Narnia doesn't really have a name. Sometimes when I talk of Narnia to my siblings, I have to distinguish country-Narnia from world-Narnia.

Middle-earth is different: it's the name of a land mass.

In my own writings, typically I follow the same rule for colloquial speech between writer-friends - the primary country/group of countries/etc is the name of the world.

I personally think there isn't a problem with giving the world a name as necessary - it's just when it's not necessary that it's a problem. (The various names for land masses and the entire world in LotR/Silmarillion worked very well - Middle-earth, however, is the colloquial name given it, despite its technical incorrectness).

Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo
(A star shines on the hour of our meeting)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:12 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sounds about right to me.

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:43 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I find it hard to write without the name of the world, but you have a good point.

the flames will not consume you; For I am your God.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:53 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I think I would not get far in my story without naming mine :o

My uncle kissed my hand, a peaceful expression on his face, “Goodbye Teresse.”
I slipped past the gate with Malka and ran into the forest, gazing back one last time to see the lights of my beloved city, Arenford--and the capture of my last living relative, uncle Eldon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:29 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sounds like a good line of thinking to me Seer. I like your reasoning. I personally have never named my "world", but wasn't able to put my reasoning into words. I just didn't think it was necessary. Thanks for the help. Now I can explicate my position.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I was getting around to starting a similar thread... I don't like naming my 'world' either, but I didn't know if it was necessary or not. I can't remember the context now. :roll:

Floyd was frozen where he stood. He struggled to breathe, but the air smelled of blood and death and guilt. He tried to formulate a name, to ask, but language was meaningless, and words would not come. He tried to scream but the sound got stuck in his heart, shattered into a million pieces, and scattered to the wind.

In a world without superheroes, who will stand against the forces of evil?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:59 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I personally find it very good for me to know my world's name. Firstly, it helps me in sharing my world with others. Secondly, it's more of what the people refer to themselves as. They are in the world of Enderion. Consider it more like a planet name than a world name. My universe (or world) doesn't have a name...it's just the world of Enderion. Any planet with astronomy advanced enough to detect other planets would see a need to name their own planets.

enderion

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:12 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I suppose that is a point Eruheran... *shrugs shoulders* I’ll think about that one.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:20 pm 
Captain
Captain

I have to, considering my universe includes interdimensional travel between fantasy and the equivalent of our universe. Not to mention, the fantasy people know other dimensions exist, like we do. Merlin, in fact, was a great traveler between the two.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:03 am 

The inhabitants of Eshteka do not have a name for their planet. It is a name which outsiders bestowed on it. I'm sure the natives just referred to Eshteka as 'Home'. I never thought about our planet not having an official name though. Hmm. Something to chew on.

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:30 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
I tend to keep the naming to basic earth/terra like names. Lor-Amar is the planet although it wasn't thought of as a planet when it was first named. It is a portal world so it was necessary to name it separately from Earth. I also renamed Heaven for the world because it seemed likely.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:21 am 
Writer
Writer

I was just wondering today if I should name my world, but after reading these reasons why some don't, I don't think I will either. My story is just taking place on one landmass anyway, so I guess there isn't a need to name the planet.

My last story I was working on though, I did name the world Grathomen. It was named after the first human. You know, our world is called 'Earth' which is what it's made from, and if I'm correct, Adam means clay, dirt, or something like that, which is what he was made from. Neat little connection there, I think. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:39 am 
Writer
Writer

I also wouldn't name a world if it was the only one in the story, for the reasons brought up here in this thread. However, if the story involved parallel universes or other planets and space travel, I would name the worlds.

Here's an interesting thought: if there were parallel worlds, but the people living in them didn't know about them, how would they deal with the issue of names? Upon discovering them, would they decide as a people to name their world? Or perhaps nick names might develop along the lines of what made each dimension unique, such as the world with elves (if the was only one) being called something like Elfworld. ;)

The novel: Chosen Sister -- When the Gold Wizard magically selects Reina's younger brother as the Child Warrior prophesied to defeat the Red Wizard, Reina has mixed feelings—jealousy and concern. Austyn is only six. Allowed to accompany her brother, Reina soon finds they're in deeper trouble than she thought. The Gold Wizard's fake beard is ripped off by attacking harpies, revealing he's only seventeen, not to mention his magical demonstrations tend to go awry. Unfortunately, with the Red Wizard's harpies and snakewolves on their trail, finding a new (and better) wizard mentor is hardly an option.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 pm 
Writer
Writer

The only worlds I've actually named are Rhoive and Hlior, and in-story, pretty much only the lorvald use those names, because they're the ones who needed the different names in the first place since they can travel back and forth between the worlds. I think the names can also be convenient for the author, particularly if multiple stories take place there; you have a name for the whole thing and don't have to say "the world that X takes place in."

So anyway, I think a world name can be useful, but it's hardly necessary. And certainly, in-story usage shouldn't be casual; there should be a reason everyone calls it something other than "the world."

You have blue skin with orange polka dots. Four eyes, one red, one yellow, one green, and one blue. You have four arms, two are furry and two are scaly. One ear is a floppy dog's ear and the other is a pointy dog's ear. Your hair is a mess of tentacles. You have the body of a centaur, with four wings and two tails (both with feathers on the end). Two wings are pink. The other two are green and black, respectively. You have a row of sharp spines going down your back (very sharp). You also hiccup rainbow bubbles... ~Vili
So, now you all know what I look like.

We're creating a HW RPG! Come check it out!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:48 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Leandra Falconwing wrote:
Rhoive

Ooh; how do you pronounce that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 am 
Writer
Writer

Svensteel priest of Kylor wrote:
Rhoive

Uhh...*isn't very good with pronunciation keys* Kind of like ROY-vv. But there is a touch of an "h" in the first syllable, it's just not very strong.

You have blue skin with orange polka dots. Four eyes, one red, one yellow, one green, and one blue. You have four arms, two are furry and two are scaly. One ear is a floppy dog's ear and the other is a pointy dog's ear. Your hair is a mess of tentacles. You have the body of a centaur, with four wings and two tails (both with feathers on the end). Two wings are pink. The other two are green and black, respectively. You have a row of sharp spines going down your back (very sharp). You also hiccup rainbow bubbles... ~Vili
So, now you all know what I look like.

We're creating a HW RPG! Come check it out!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:58 am 
Writer
Writer

My World is just that. I've never had the audacity to try and name my world like C.S. Lewis did his Narnia. I do not think a world (Or at least mine) should be given a name. Such wisdom to do so that would signify or represent it in one word is beyond my capabilities. However, what J.R.R. Tolkien did with middle earth sounds good to me. I am not content with only calling my world: my world. I certainly do not like the sound of bottom earth.

As for naming this (The world my characters live in) world because of the existance of other worlds as Eru was saying earlier is not needed. My people understand and name planets while the world is still the world. Just as the Earth is the Earth while other planets are Venus and Jupiter.

-Aeleknight

We are comfort to the weary, We are justice to the wronged
We are defense to the weak, We are vengeance to the preyed upon
We are allies to the good, We are hunters of evil
We are slayers of the wicked, We are protectors of righteousness
We are the shield of the protected, We are the shadow of the elves
We are the walls of the Gnomes, We are the gallows of the Men
We are the guardians of Dhomma, And the keepers of Elintil
We are darkness but of light, We are death in the night
We are servants of Eloh, We are stewards of the Seraph
We are the children of Aelen, The spawn of Aelith the freer
We are the Aelenguard And I am Aeleknight

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:07 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Svensteel priest of Kylor wrote:
Rhoive

Uhh...*isn't very good with pronunciation keys* Kind of like ROY-vv. But there is a touch of an "h" in the first syllable, it's just not very strong.

Ok cool, I see what you mean with the H.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next