Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Medics and Medicines
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:52 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Do you have Medics/Doctors in your world?

What sort of medicines do they use? Do they make their own by mixing ingredients and herbs and etc.?

What sort of 'practice' do they have? Do they charge large fees for their services; is there any system for poor people who cannot afford Doctor's fees?

What sort of system do you have in place in your fantasy world?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Medics and Medicines
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:11 pm 
Writer
Writer

Your question gave me the idea of having those with the ability to heal as doctors. Like, people who have this ability are the ones that become the doctors, nurses etc. in someone's fantasy world. However, I think if I used this idea in my stories, then I would put a limit on their healing. Like, if it's some illness that is new, they wouldn't have the ability to heal it because it's unknown. I don't know...just throwing ideas out there.

"...so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." ~ Ephesians 3:17-19

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:12 am 

Sex: Male
Medical care is widespread in the world of the Shine Cycle (or at least in "the free world" in "the present day.") Except for diagnosis (a mage can use diagnostic workings that can be error-prone in a few well-known and predictable ways but are otherwise faster, cheaper, more precise, safer, and more accurate than any physical test), it's usually very similar to such care in our world.

Medical care is somewhat expensive, but with no "health insurance" or other third-party payment system driving up the costs, quite affordable. (If a mage is involved, beyond the five minutes or so for the simplest diagnostic workings, that increase the price.) Most healers and doctors charge on a sliding scale based on income, and the poor often also have (excellent, but more rushed) care available in clinics funded by local churches.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:30 pm 
Writer
Writer

My main character is trained in herbal remedies.....here are some herbs she uses through out the story.....

Fireflower- the healing juices extracted from its bright orange petals, is medicinal for venomous snake bites and bat bites.

Fernwort- blue moss that grows in moist places, particularly in caves is used for cuts, healing affect 24 hours!

Radoni- a white puffy ball like flower, used to make tonics to bring down fevers.

Haliko- Deadly pink flower, but its leaves are safe to use when brewed in tea for stomach aches.

Blimarium- a rare purple cone like flower, useful to make an ointment for bruises and sore muscles.

Rosedina- A red rose crossed with columbine, the flowers petals are used to brew a tonic for any level of pain.

(Flowers combined are used to treat the ailments they list...for example Haliko, Radoni, and Rosedina can be used altogether to cure Stomach ache accompanied by a fever with moderate to severe pain (either bodily aches, or headaches).

The Chronicles Of Meridia - Deliverance (77,701 words) now in artistic phase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:39 am 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
In my story, there are specified healers in each of the towns or cities, though most of the common people have a basic understanding of healing herbs.
The healers are actually similar to doctors in our world. They spend their entire life studying the human body, learning what affects it and what herbs and medicines are most effective for different ailments. Some of them even have special healing gifts that they were born with where they can take away pain or increase the healing speed of a wound. But most of those are far and few between. Their prices vary, depending on what level of a healer they are and what town they live in. I haven't worked out all the different levels and what each level of healer is called, but I do know that there is at least 5 different levels, the 5th one being the highest a human healer can become.
Dragons have an acute knowledge of herbs and healing remedies that supersedes any 5th level healer though. No one knows exactly how they obtained such knowledge, weather it is instinctual or divinely inspired. The Giants are of the opinion that the dragons learned it all from them. The dragons, however, disagree with that. Both species have amazing knowledge regarding healing and a multitude of other things, and they agree philosophically on just as many things. But be that as it may, neither likes the other and they DON'T get along... like, not. at. all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
In Ealdstina healing is done by Healers. Most towns and villages have them, in general they barter their services and keep a garden to grow herbs as well as food. They learn the craft of healing by becoming an apprentice. Hence, the knowledge is passed down: always learning new things as new plants are found or remembered. The few exeptional ones know some of the First Tongue: a language that was taught first to the Elves by the All Father's Holy Ones--that are like angels in our world-- through which magic is used.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]