Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Food Supplements, Extracts and Natural Remedies.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:07 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
I bought some Sea Kelp today, to help with me growing my hair longer as it's supposed to help hair growth. I also was able to buy some recommended shampoo; it comes in a bar like soap, and it also encourages hair growth.

Of course it made me think of my world building. :D

Do you use natural food supplements and extracts in your world, and what is their purpose?

Do they have any adverse side affects, short or long term?

Do you have any that are used for unusual purposes, and what are they?

In your world, what is the equivalent of soap and shampoo, and how is it made?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Food Supplements, Extracts and Natural Remedies.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:18 am 

Wow, I hadn't thought about shampoo and such... o.O I believe I made up some natural remedies at one time, but I haven't written in that world in so long that I've forgotten them. :blush:

Find out what's on my heart: Blotches and Blunders Made Beautiful

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:03 am 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
Unusual? I suppose it would be called unusual to have intravenous nourishment used in a fantasy story.... :D I'm gonna need to research about that more since I know practically nothing about it, but I do know it is done.

I'd never actually specifically thought about soap, though.... * ponders * You know, there were some people that actually used oil to keep themselves 'clean'. I wonder if that was an alternative to soap, or along with soap? I don't know much about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:54 pm 
Captain
Captain

Calista Beth Mimetes wrote:
Wow, I hadn't thought about shampoo and such... o.O I believe I made up some natural remedies at one time, but I haven't written in that world in so long that I've forgotten them. :blush:

I have herbal remedies and so on in my world, but buying supplements for myself made me consider it more!

Mistress Rwebhu Kidh wrote:
Unusual? I suppose it would be called unusual to have intravenous nourishment used in a fantasy story.... :D I'm gonna need to research about that more since I know practically nothing about it, but I do know it is done.

I'd never actually specifically thought about soap, though.... * ponders * You know, there were some people that actually used oil to keep themselves 'clean'. I wonder if that was an alternative to soap, or along with soap? I don't know much about it.

I don't know, but that is an interesting concept, Juliet. :) I have heard about people using coconut oil for removing make up and so on, but I think it's usually used hand in hand with soap.

I've heard that some people use salt for soap replacement, and lemon juice for cleaning laundry which was a new one!

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:09 pm 

Interesting they would use something acidic to clean their laundry, since a lot of soaps tend to be bases instead... o.O Or is lye an acid too? XD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:48 am 
Captain
Captain

People use salt and baking soda for toothpaste, too... in fact, we do, when we use anything at all... as Sian learned when she visited us last time... XP

Interesting they would use something acidic to clean their laundry, since a lot of soaps tend to be bases instead... Or is lye an acid too? XD
Yes... I suppose both ways – acid or alkali – would work just as well though. Wouldn't they?

Lady Elanor wrote:
I don't know, but that is an interesting concept, Juliet. I have heard about people using coconut oil for removing make up and so on, but I think it's usually used hand in hand with soap.
* nods * Yes. Though Coconut oil is good for your skin and you don't have to wash it off if you don't want to.

And I just realized that with castile-type soaps, they're just grease – olive oil mainly, and whatever other oils people put in too when they want to. There is just something done to it to make it into soap instead of just plain oil.

* research *

OK, so it's lye. They put lye in olive oil, and it makes soap.

Interesting. 0.o

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:41 pm 

[offtopic]My family uses baking soda with some Essential Oils in it. *Grin* [/offtopic]

Anybody know what lye actually is? o.O I know people used it to makes soap, but what is it and how does it make the soap? o.O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:22 pm 
Captain
Captain

[offtopic]My family uses baking soda with some Essential Oils in it. *Grin* [/offtopic]

Anybody know what lye actually is? o.O I know people used it to makes soap, but what is it and how does it make the soap? o.O

Ooh, I've been finding out some intersting stuff about Lye.

Quote:
Before the modern manufacture of lye, people were able to make it out of raw materials. For thousands of years, people have used types of lye for making soap and tanning hides. They burned certain hardwoods at a very high temperature to make white ashes. Water, mixed with a bit of baking soda, then was used to penetrate the ashes and remove the lye that they contained. When the ashes were filtered out, the water would hold enough lye for purposes such as dissolving the fat left on animal furs or mixing with other ingredients to make body soap.

Apparently you get lye from 'leaching ashes'.

Quote:
Lye is a caustic, alkaline chemical that is useful for many purposes but also is hazardous. It can dissolve sticky substances such as fat and has a high degree of reactivity with other materials. Modern lye typically is the chemical sodium hydroxide, but potassium hydroxide was once the chemical compound that was commonly used. Whether in a flake, granular or liquid form, it is very dangerous and can cause damage to surfaces and people. Despite its hazardous nature, it is used in many common household products, such as laundry detergent and oven cleaner, and is even used to cure foods such as pretzels, green olives and mandarin oranges.

Sodium hydroxide is created using a chemical reaction between soda, or sodium carbonate, and calcium hydroxide, or lime. In raw form, it is made into solid flakes, chips or grains. Chemical suppliers provide sodium hydroxide to manufacturers for use in the making of a wide variety of products, such as fabric, paper, hand soap, metal polishers and drain de-cloggers.

Making soap:

Quote:
If you want to make your own soap, the first step is gathering all necessary ingredients. The basic soap, known as cold-process soap or “CP” soap is basically made by combining lye and fats such as coconut or hemp oil. Aside from these two basic ingredients, you will also need distilled water, essential oils and colorants, and containers for melting and shaping the soap. If you plan on adding herbs, flowers, or other additives, you will need to get those also. Finally, another thing you need to make your own soap is patience, as the whole process takes about six weeks.

Lye is a powerful chemical and should be handled with extreme care. Gloves and safety goggles are recommended, and working in a well-ventilated area is a must. Lye is caustic and can cause serious burns to the skin and eyes if splashes occur. Lye should also be kept out of the reach of children and pets.

Once you have gathered all ingredients, you can start to make your own soap. To get the right proportion of water and lye, you can use a website tool like Soap-Calc or follow a sample recipe. Next, dissolve the lye in cold water, making sure you pour the lye into the water and not the other way around, as the combination may explode. Next, add the oils, stirring continuously until all elements are properly mixed.

When the mix begins to thicken, a couple of hours later, you can add any additives, including fragrances. If you want to use molds to make your own soap more fun, wait an additional hour or two for the mix to harden. Once the soap is ready, you need to wait an additional 3 weeks before using it. This process is called "aging" and is essential to the quality of the soap.

Hmmm, I want to make my own soap now.....

J. R. R. Tolkien

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:24 am 
Captain
Captain

Lye is awesome. It's highly dangerous, and if you have a lye powder and mix it with water, the water heats up. And it comes from ashes. :cool:

So making soap out of oil by putting lye in it 'saponifies' the oil (new word for me). And then the oil is so entirely different that it cleans oil off of things. It is so weird. It doesn't seem like an advanced technology, though, so it's probably perfectly plausible for people in a fantasy world to use castile-type soap.

One thing to add to Elanor's information: if the soap is made with a soft grease or oil rather than a harder one (like olive oil as opposed to coconut oil) then it takes much more 'curing' for the soap cakes to harden up nicely and give better lather. I think someone said that six months does nicely, though it doesn't hurt to wait even longer.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]